Author Topic: Best way to root feijoa cuttings?  (Read 4554 times)

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
Best way to root feijoa cuttings?
« on: April 24, 2020, 06:22:52 PM »
Have just failed for the third time, losing hope on this. From what I have read online it is possible and this is how it is commercially propagated in New Zealand, but other resources have said it is difficult. Has anyone here succeeded with this? What method did you use?

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Best way to root feijoa cuttings?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2020, 09:34:17 PM »
Don't lose hope..the only time I tried growing feijoa from cuttings is when I threw the cuttings in a compost pile.  Later green sprouts appeared and when dug up they had rooted.  Magic?  Possibly.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2020, 09:41:13 PM »
It seems to sucker from the ground a lot and is very tough.  You can probably just dig up a sucker with roots already on it. 
Brad Spaugh

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2020, 09:49:09 PM »
I have a friend that roots easily all types of guava by using Clonex.
He doesnt have any feijoa thogh,says he doesnt like the fruit of it and i think probably because he kept it too warm in the greenhouse with the tropical plants.

I grew my 2 feijoas from seed and after a year and a half they got quite big like 1,4 meters tall.
Super fast growth but i also feed them with fresh diluted cow manure heavily.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2020, 08:37:54 AM »
Good point Brad, however I have 5 different grafted kinds of feijoa from Edenvale Nursery and  a couple from New Zealand.  Suckers would not reproduce the cultivar and I, too, would like to find a reliable method of rooting cuttings.  Check out https://feijoarecipes.wordpress.com/tag/history/

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2020, 08:57:53 AM »
This is how I rooted tens of Guava cuttings this winter/spring:

What you will need:
a. Guava cuttings
b. Peat moss
c. Perlite
d. 2 clear plastic cups of the same size
e. 1 painted or covered plastic cup of the same size as the 2 clear cups (I warped a clear cup with black electric tape)
f. Heating mat (with thermostat)

My Method:
1. Prepare a potting mixture of 60% peat moss, and 40% perlite. Pre-moisten the mix;
2. Clean the cuttings then dip them in diluted clonix (1 parts clonix 1.5 parts water);
3. Drill 4-5 small holes on/near the bottom of one of the clear plastic cups;
4. Fill 1/3 of that cup with the potting mix. put one guava cutting in the cup and start filling the area around it with potting mix until the cup is almost full. Press lightly on the potting mix and add more if you need;
5. Put the 2nd clear plastic cup on top of the first cup to make a green house like dome. Use a tape to securely attach them together. Don't make holes on the 2nd cup;
6. Insert the bottom cup into the painted/covered cup. this will keep light from getting to the soil (roots don't like light);
7. Put this on a heat mat set to 77-68f degrees (25-25.5c); [you can use another cup with potting soil (inserted into a painted cup) to stick the thermostat in if you need];
8. Leave them be for about 3 weeks. After that, you can check for roots periodically by simply removing the painted/covered cup. Very simple.

Mine rooted within 3-6 weeks. I have about 60-65% success rate using this method.

Another method I have used with slightly lower success is a bit more difficult as it requires a lot of DIY. I 'll share it if there is enough interest.

Pictures:

Setup before inserting it in a covered cup

After inserting in a covered cup

The result

Amazing roots

I hope this method works for feijoas
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 09:13:21 AM by shpaz »
A passion for things that grow
https://attar-sa.com/

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2020, 11:33:30 AM »
shpaz, what type of guava are you speaking of??

I have had decent success rooting tropical guavas, but NO success rooting feijoa/pineapple guava (in perlite!!)!

Also, does anyone know if strawberry guava (psidium cattleyanum) roots from cuttings? I have a branch that broke on my bush, and is barely hanging on there. I'd hate for it to go to waste.. maybe air layer it?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2020, 11:35:06 AM by 850FL »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2020, 12:35:30 PM »
I think you can air layer feijoa.

Bill

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2020, 12:40:51 PM »
shpaz, what type of guava are you speaking of??

I have had decent success rooting tropical guavas, but NO success rooting feijoa/pineapple guava (in perlite!!)!

Also, does anyone know if strawberry guava (psidium cattleyanum) roots from cuttings? I have a branch that broke on my bush, and is barely hanging on there. I'd hate for it to go to waste.. maybe air layer it?

Tropical

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 03:45:43 PM »
Shpaz, thanks for the suggestions, the leaves on one of your photos are those of the tropical guava.  I, too, have had no difficulty with cuttings of the tropical guava, but still interested in rooting cuttings of the feijoa.  Certainly worth a try!

shpaz

• Florida/Arizona
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 01:17:53 AM »
Shpaz, thanks for the suggestions, the leaves on one of your photos are those of the tropical guava.  I, too, have had no difficulty with cuttings of the tropical guava, but still interested in rooting cuttings of the feijoa.  Certainly worth a try!

I'll take that challenge next winter and report with results

shmojojojo

• Southern California, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 01:48:38 AM »
I've heard feijoa cuttings are pretty difficult to root. I have a little feijoa loaded with air layers right now here. It's only about a week in, but I plan on updating that thread with my other air layers and the results later on.

Rooting cuttings is considered possible, but difficult according to this plant propagation chart. Good luck man.

Don't lose hope..the only time I tried growing feijoa from cuttings is when I threw the cuttings in a compost pile.  Later green sprouts appeared and when dug up they had rooted.  Magic?  Possibly.
That's interesting. What kind of environment were they in? I imagine dark and moist. What time of year was it? What was the weather like?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 06:18:03 AM by shmojojojo »

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 12:50:02 PM »
They root best by ground layering.

TriangleJohn

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 05:25:52 PM »
A long time ago I attended a lecture at our local arboretum about a recent trip to New Zealand. The speaker had a slide of an entire grove of different cultivars of Feijoa and showed the nursery where all sorts of fruits were being propagated. He said that the workers told him that they only get one cutting in the thousand to root using standard methods (snip, strip, dip and stick). I have a row of seed grown pineapple guavas that only produce if I hand pollinate them and then one lonely bush up near the house that I bought from a nursery. I keep trying to root a cutting of it to move down to the others and after 10 years I have never had it happen.

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2020, 07:43:55 PM »
In response to question on the compost pile environment where cuttings inadvertently rooted:  Mixed compost, semi rotted, in the shade under an avocado tree.  No real standardization of technique and would be difficult to duplicate.  Cuttings were hardwood.  Some were planted out, growing well, identity tags were lost.

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2020, 11:28:36 PM »
Wow John that is very discouraging, if a commercial nursery isn't able to get above that success rate.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 10:06:51 AM »
if you just curious for backyard stuff, then they graft ok.
Shane

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2021, 04:41:16 PM »
If anyone is still interested in this topic, I have a 100% success rate by taking the green/soft wood cuttings from the base of the plant, scratching them up at the cut end and then put them in some coco-coir after dipping in powdered rooting hormone. I then place a plastic cover on top of my tray to conserve humidity. It gets very moist inside the cover but I haven't had any issue with mold. It takes atleast 1-2 months to root.

The 2 cuttings in the black pots are about 6 months old, I took cuttings over the summer from the base of the plant trunk, and the ones on the right side showing the roots are about 1 1/2 months old with two more cuttings in the background which are also rooted. All 4 of the smaller cuttings were taken from the base of 2 potted plants in my grow tent sometime in November. It's winter now but the tent is usually in the high 60F/15.5C during the day.

The cuttings are always tiny, I've never tried with anything larger than the cuttings on the right. They will grow to the size of the large cuttings in the black pots in no time.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 04:58:06 PM by vnomonee »

NateTheGreat

• SF Bay Area, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2021, 09:24:17 PM »
Very interesting vnomonee, thanks for posting. I'll have to try again.

swincher

• Western WA (zone 8b, zone 10a greenhouse)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2021, 09:25:03 PM »
I may have to try that!

I assume since you're using green wood, it should be done in summer or early fall when the leaves are growing, rather than around now when the growth is dormant (at least in N hemisphere)?

Though you said grow tent, so maybe yours skips the usual winter dormancy period?

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2021, 09:46:22 PM »
Yes, my tent is indoors so my trees haven't really rested but I am planning on putting them outside in March which is around the the time I purchased the 2 original plants and had them out around that time. They were not damaged by frosts even while in pots. I am hoping putting them out in March that they accumulate some chill hours and perhaps flower ahead of schedule. They will be a year old in my possession this spring.

The nursery stated that they would flower in 18 months since they were rooted cuttings from a mature tree.

I'm in zone 7a so my goal is to grow a bunch of cuttings from the two potted trees to plant outside in different parts of my back and front yard hoping some area provides enough of a microclimate.

I've just taken any new growth in the potted plants from the very bottom of the trunk since I am going for a tree shape in the pots rather than a bush. The cuttings were usually around 3in/7.6cm.

Reedo

• Santa Cruz, CA - zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2023, 11:52:09 PM »
If anyone is still interested in this topic, I have a 100% success rate by taking the green/soft wood cuttings from the base of the plant, scratching them up at the cut end and then put them in some coco-coir after dipping in powdered rooting hormone. I then place a plastic cover on top of my tray to conserve humidity. It gets very moist inside the cover but I haven't had any issue with mold. It takes atleast 1-2 months to root.

The 2 cuttings in the black pots are about 6 months old, I took cuttings over the summer from the base of the plant trunk, and the ones on the right side showing the roots are about 1 1/2 months old with two more cuttings in the background which are also rooted. All 4 of the smaller cuttings were taken from the base of 2 potted plants in my grow tent sometime in November. It's winter now but the tent is usually in the high 60F/15.5C during the day.

The cuttings are always tiny, I've never tried with anything larger than the cuttings on the right. They will grow to the size of the large cuttings in the black pots in no time.

Which rooting hormone are you using?

vnomonee

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2023, 12:28:12 AM »
this one, IBA Indole-butyric acid

Jack, Nipomo

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2023, 08:40:56 AM »
Just dug up several branches on my Triumph that were ground layered (thanks B2B).  All were well rooted in multiple places and cut into sections and potted.  Buried branches of my Mammoth for later cutting after they root.  Ground is wet thanks to lots of rain.

growinginphoenix

• USA, AZ, 9a/9b, Sunset Zone 13
    • View Profile
    • My notes
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2024, 01:44:52 PM »

Guessing from the pictures you have these under lights while they are rooting correct?