Author Topic: Annona Reticulatas awesome production  (Read 6389 times)

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
Annona Reticulatas awesome production
« on: March 27, 2016, 02:57:48 PM »
Best ever Annona Ret. production without hand pollination, Mangoes also going crazy  flowering on the central  Fl West coast

« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 10:44:33 AM by carcarlo »

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Annona Reticulatas awesome production
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:08:55 AM »
Hi Carlos

Congrats on your crop. The fruits look great this year,enjoy!

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 10:17:46 AM »
Hi Frank thank you I have plenty but is a fight against the critters, best crop I ever had every thing is supper late this year but in abundance here in the West coast.
Carlos

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 10:44:55 AM »
Hi Frank thank you I have plenty but is a fight against the critters, best crop I ever had every thing is supper late this year but in abundance here in the West coast.
Carlos

It looks like you are doing a good job. My annona crop was decimated with El Niņo and by critters. I will start fighting back next season with traps and bait.

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2016, 10:59:21 AM »
Frank I'm buying 10 lb of bait and setting tree stands at night for the critters, I cant stand to see the fruit with holes on them and on the ground in a couple of days, my manga trees are full of flowers so I got to get a hold on them before mangos ripen, I will try to send u some maybe they will get there without been smashed by the USPS,  like they did last year, If I remember correctly the Annona Reticulata (Chirimoya to me) did survive.
Saludos
Carlos

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2016, 11:06:03 AM »
Carlos

The fruit looks great. I have a few purples and yellow A. reticulatas this year. No reds yet though. Let me know when seeds and/or fruit are available.
BTW whats the history behind this variety?

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2016, 11:43:50 AM »
Hi I have seedlings from the Yellow I got them from JF he got them in the   Yucatan, I have never seen the purple if you have pics I would like to see one maybe we can trade scions. The story behind  the ones I got are, I found them in a local supermarket about 15+ years ago, I call the manager and he said they got most of their tropical fruits from Cal. I could tell he din't know what he was talking about. The fruit looked so beautiful I bought one for me and one for my Mother, it was incredible and I planted some seeds and grew one tree from that one I replanted more seeds and at the moment I have 3 trees from the original one and all 4 produce the same fruits, I have spread the seeds throughout the world. I heard in Australia they called Carcarlo after my forum name.
BestRegards
Carlos

knlim000

• redwood city,ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2016, 11:56:32 AM »
beautiful. the trunk of the tree is gigantic. does the seedling taste like the parents? Are there lots of seeds inside?  I bought a cherimoya from the store and planted the seed. This year was my first year tasting the fruit, it was the size of a tangerine, it got so many seeds inside, about 90% of the weight is the seed.  Maybe it's because it's first year producing after 6yrs.

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 11:57:46 AM »
Carlos,

Here's a link to a thread i started a month or so ago. It has pictures of some of the reticulatas i ate this year.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=19328.msg242535#msg242535

I'm actually going to the post office right now to send out some scions and seeds. Hopefully it doesnt take too long

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »
Hi Sayyid they all taste the same the ones I got have 40+ seeds in each one that's over a pound they are white inside and extremely creamy. I have one that's  ripening on the counter and we can smell that thing when we walk by it.
Carlos

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:35 PM »
Frank I'm buying 10 lb of bait and setting tree stands at night for the critters, I cant stand to see the fruit with holes on them and on the ground in a couple of days, my manga trees are full of flowers so I got to get a hold on them before mangos ripen, I will try to send u some maybe they will get there without been smashed by the USPS,  like they did last year, If I remember correctly the Annona Reticulata (Chirimoya to me) did survive.
Saludos
Carlos
thanks Carlos. Yes the chirimoya made perfect. I'll send scions and seeds. Red Manila had another stellar crop last season let me know if you need more scions.

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2016, 04:20:56 PM »
That's awesome Carlos, I can't wait till my Fernandez is producing like that!

Quick question: When do your reticulata start leafing out? My atemoya and sugar apples are all leafing out, and nothing from the reticulata yet this spring.
Dom

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2016, 04:38:59 PM »
Hi all four of my Ret. are still leafing out, I have been waiting for them but they are taking for ever and a day. I decided to prepare some of their wood  to get some scions  because I have about 12-15 seedlings  that I want to graft to it's own rootstock, something definitely is slowing them this year.
regards
Carlos

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2016, 06:29:04 PM »

Quick question: When do your reticulata start leafing out? My atemoya and sugar apples are all leafing out, and nothing from the reticulata yet this spring.

Dom
I would reccomend that you strip and prune your reticulata. Here are pix of my diversifolia stripped and pruned flowers emerging.

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2016, 10:42:30 AM »
Those are beautiful Carlos!
- Mark

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2016, 11:08:53 AM »

Yours is no exception it seems, mine has just one bran h leafing out, one is showing buds the last 3 branches are still bare.

Regards,

Gary

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 11:32:40 AM »

Yours is no exception it seems, mine has just one bran h leafing out, one is showing buds the last 3 branches are still bare.

Cool, thanks man. Good to hear it isn't just mine. 

Frank, I stripped and pruned just yesterday, thanks for the advice. I don't know why I was treating it different from the other annonas.

Carlos, sorry for the hijack. ;-)
Dom

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2016, 12:04:13 PM »
That's cool Dom I'm thinking about striping mines too, but then again that's a lot of work on 18-20 feet tall trees.
carlos

skhan

• View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2016, 12:06:34 PM »
That's cool Dom I'm thinking about striping mines too, but then again that's a lot of work on 18-20 feet tall trees.
carlos

Same thing happening with my reticulatas, I guess i'll go with Franks advice too

TheDom

• Fort Myers, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2016, 01:21:21 PM »
carlos

I know peach growers in FL will use a chemical defoliant (zinc sulfate usually I think) to drop the leaves on their trees if the winter hasn't been sufficiently cold to do so. I wonder if the same could be done for larger annonas?
Dom

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2016, 01:40:28 PM »
carlos

I know peach growers in FL will use a chemical defoliant (zinc sulfate usually I think) to drop the leaves on their trees if the winter hasn't been sufficiently cold to do so. I wonder if the same could be done for larger annonas?

It's funny cause each annona drops their leaves at their own pace. Birula is the earliest in Febuary and Cherimoyas the latest in April. I leave the cherimoyas alone and let them drop at their pace the rest I have a race against time in hope they ripen before December. Custard Apples are unpredictable sartenajo has drop as late as September this why I defoliate them so they can ripen earlier.

Cuban fiberless soursop

Pink Mammoth with some fuits

Big Red Sugar Apple

La Habra Sun

« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:47:40 PM by JF »

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2016, 03:43:28 PM »
Awesome pics Frank, are those you planted in your moms house.
carlos

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2016, 03:13:36 PM »
Awesome pics Frank, are those you planted in your moms house.
carlos

Yes Carlos. I usually don't like to strip leafs of trees that are holding fruits but Pink Mammoth was shedding.

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2016, 09:42:44 AM »
Saludos
Carlos

Two questions:
Which bait are you going to use?
Can you desribe the flavor of your a. reticulata and compare it to other annonas?
John

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
The bait I use is typical rat bait, i have a telescopic painting pole with a food tray at the end I fill ithe tray up and extend the pole up in the trees with the tray full of bait, the only thing is I have to remove it early before Sunrise so that the birds don't get to it.
carlos

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk