Author Topic: First Cogshall. . .Nice  (Read 2830 times)

Carbo

• Brown Thumb in 10b, SE Florida
    • View Profile
First Cogshall. . .Nice
« on: June 10, 2012, 11:02:47 AM »
My Cogshall put out 9 mangoes this year for the first time.  I had the pleasure of my first one earlier today.  I must say I was impressed.  Nice texture, fiber free, fragrant with a great taste.  Worth the wait and looking forward to many more.
My question is what happens to the pannicles that are no longer holding fruit?  Do they naturally dry up and fall off?  Should they be cut to encourage future growth?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: First Cogshall. . .Nice
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 11:37:18 AM »
Congrats on your very first Cogshall Carbo...mine are not quite there yet...still waiting  :(

As for the pannicles...this is what I do with mine (others may not do it differently) but I remove mine as soon as the fruit is gone. I've found that leaving it on there serves no purpose and I've read that it can encourage disease so I remove it as soon as possible...then the new growths can begin.

They will definitely fall off on their own eventually...but I prefer to remove them and let the new growth start as possible. I've been doing it this way for several years and has worked well for me.

I just found my very first ripe Mango on my inground tree...it has fallen off the stalk and landed safely into my Mango "wrap" can't wait to taste it...maybe one more day and it should be ready.

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:23:27 PM »
Thanks, pug.
Another question for the teeming masses that congregate here. . .of the 9 mangoes, 5 are clustered on one pannicle, located at the very bottom of the tree and on the interior.  They aren't exposed to the sun and, as a result, they are not showing any signs of coloring up like the other mangoes have.  Will they ever color up?  Will they ripen on the tree?

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 12:41:35 PM »
If I remember correctly, all of my Cogshall colored up when they were ripe even the ones that were in the interior of the tree (just not as fast and not as colorful) as the ones that were getting direct sun. Some other varieties may not color as nice, but all my Cogshall did color up just different intensity...just more colorful on the ones that were on the outside of the tree. To answer your question...

"Will they ripen on the tree? ...Yes, they will ripen on the tree whether they get direct sun or not. You can always try the "feel" test...once they get a little bit of color you can squeeze them gently and if they have some give to them, they should be close to being ripe. Most of mine I waited till they "fell" of the stalk and landed in my wrap. Then I knew they were either ripe or very close to being fully ripe.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 02:34:01 PM »
Definitely remove them.  This year I am tipping as I havest as recommended by many.  I left them prevoius years and they can stay on the tree for over a year.

Watch the vieos at the bottom of the fairchild gardens mango page.

http://www.fairchildgarden.org/livingcollections/tropicalfruitprogram/jackfruit/Growing-a-Mango-Tree/
Brandon

Carbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 02:53:53 PM »
Interesting video; thanks for sharing.  Doc Campbell sure is aggressive with those trimming shears!