Author Topic: Season for some Gary Zill mangos  (Read 2339 times)

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
Season for some Gary Zill mangos
« on: July 20, 2020, 05:01:34 PM »
I'm starting to grow some of the relatively new Gary Zill selections here in Hawaii.  Can you help me with the limited Florida growers experience with the seasonality of these mango varieties:

- Guava
- Orange Sherbet
- Phoenix
- Zill O-15
- Zill P-22

Thanks!

Steph

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Season for some Gary Zill mangos
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »
Like early, mid, and late?
John

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2020, 11:47:04 PM »
Yes. I realize there hasn’t been enough time to build a lot of experience with these varieties but hope some folks will share their early impressions

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 07:05:04 PM »
O-15 and p-22 are mid/ late season
Orange sherbet , Phoenix and guava  mid season

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 11:23:16 PM »
Keep in mind what it does in Florida may not be true for Hawaii.

Guava - early to mid (May to early/mid July)
Orange Sherbet - mid (mid/late June to early August)
Phoenix- mid (mid/late June to August)
O-15 mid (July)
P-22 mid to early part of late (July and into August)

These times are not always set in stone.  You can have some varying times, give or take either side, based on climate and flowering times.
- Rob

Nyuu

• Florida , lake placid 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2020, 07:21:33 AM »
Yes I wasn't thinking about it at the time but your climate naybe inducing to flower earlier than normal if warmer area and later if you're colder area .

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2020, 09:57:48 AM »
Keep in mind what it does in Florida may not be true for Hawaii.

Guava - early to mid (May to early/mid July)
Orange Sherbet - mid (mid/late June to early August)
Phoenix- mid (mid/late June to August)
O-15 mid (July)
P-22 mid to early part of late (July and into August)

These times are not always set in stone.  You can have some varying times, give or take either side, based on climate and flowering times.

This is super helpful.  Do you mind sharing the season for E-4/Sugarloaf please.

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2020, 11:45:50 AM »

This is super helpful.  Do you mind sharing the season for E-4/Sugarloaf please.
[/quote]

Sugar loaf is a mid season.
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2020, 09:44:08 PM »

Sugar loaf is a mid season.
[/quote]

Thanks.  Does that mean it's typically a late June into mid Juyl mango?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2020, 12:32:40 AM »
E-4 (I dont like the name Sugarloaf) for the most part is a mid season where the month of July is its sweet spot.  I have seen it ripen in the later part of June and the early part of August.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2020, 09:16:54 AM »
E-4 (I dont like the name Sugarloaf) for the most part is a mid season where the month of July is its sweet spot.  I have seen it ripen in the later part of June and the early part of August.

Thanks a lot Rob!  That's what I was hoping.  I planted Guava as my early, E4 as my mid season, and Venus as my late(r)..tough finding a late season one that produces reliably, resistant to MBBS, with exceptional taste (Venus will get MBBS but at that point I'm hoping other late season varieties may be available to graft on my tree).

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2020, 09:35:53 AM »

Thanks a lot Rob!  That's what I was hoping.  I planted Guava as my early, E4 as my mid season, and Venus as my late(r)..tough finding a late season one that produces reliably, resistant to MBBS, with exceptional taste (Venus will get MBBS but at that point I'm hoping other late season varieties may be available to graft on my tree).

Venus is not super kate.  More like an August fruit (I have seen them ripen at various time, some even in July).  There is not much that is a true late late mango that rings the bell as having the "wow factor."  For an August fruit, I would go with Peach Cobbler.
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2020, 11:36:02 AM »

Venus is not super kate.  More like an August fruit (I have seen them ripen at various time, some even in July).  There is not much that is a true late late mango that rings the bell as having the "wow factor."  For an August fruit, I would go with Peach Cobbler.

I tasted a couple Peach Cobblers this year and definitely enjoyed them.  Does it require a heavy cold stimulus like Sweet Tart to bloom?  Does it set heavy amount of fruit?  Is it MBBS resistant?

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2020, 12:00:49 PM »
As to Peach Cobbler, I cant comment on if it truly need more cold stimulus to flower.  I do know that the trees due need to have more maturity to them before the set fruit, approximately 4-5 years.  At my old house, my tree set its first crop, albeit small, at four years of age.  The following year it set a very nice crop.

It does seem to not be affected by MBBS.

**edited to correct the word "mate" to "more" in front of the word maturity**
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:47:03 PM by bsbullie »
- Rob

FlMikey

• Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 12:41:07 PM »
As to Peach Cobbler, I cant comment on if it truly need more cold stimulus to flower.  I do know that the trees due need to have mate maturity to them before the set fruit, approximately 4-5 years.  At my old house, my tree set its first crop, albeit small, at four years of age.  The following year it set a very nice crop.

It does seem to not be affected by MBBS.

Awesome input!  Thanks a lot Rob!  MBBS resistance is very nice. I'm definitely going to graft it on to my Venus once it puts on some size.

MangoCountry

• Southeast Florida 10a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 11:06:29 AM »
Have you gotten any of those to bloom in Hana? I used to live there, it seemed way to warm and wet to get any mangos to bloom except for the few local varieties that were acclimated.

Steph

• Hana Maui USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 03:42:54 AM »
Thanks so much Rob. You are inspiring mango fanatics far afield.  Thanks so much for your generosity.

Yes, Hana is too wet for mangos. I get very poor crops even on anthracnose resistant varieties. But I greatly enjoy Kasturi, lalee jewo, and especially kuini in abundance.

For the mangos were talking about here I just got 5 acres in a very dry spot on the other side of the island. I’ve already grafted up dozens of Florida varieties thanks to Alex of Tropical Acres and many local selections.