Author Topic: Passionfruit devasted by caterpillars  (Read 1257 times)

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Passionfruit devasted by caterpillars
« on: March 26, 2020, 09:05:07 PM »
I have a couple passionfruit vines that have been growing great all winter. Today, I came out and saw practically all the foliage on both vines was eaten by these caterpillars. https://postimg.cc/gallery/9MsqtQg

Last summer, I had a bit of a problem with these guys; probably half of the foliage of one plant (back when I only had one) was eaten. Back then, I put some some insecticide on it that seemed to help. However, the directions on it said to wait until after the plant flowered to apply it--I assume because it inhibits flowering. What can I do? I don't want to have to keep on applying the insecticide and keeping me from getting any flowers and fruit off them, but if I don't apply it, the plants still can't flower because they don't have any leaves.

TL;DR, How do you guys in Florida deal with pest caterpillars on your passion vines? Thanks.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Re: Passionfruit devasted by caterpillars
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 09:26:53 PM »
Search Bacillus Thuringiensis treatment.Its a biological control for caterpillars .
A bacteria thats harmless for people and animals but it kills caterpillars after they get in contact with it.
Probably its more expensive than regular insecticides ( poisonous) but worth the monney because its effective and safe.
Its soo safe that i use it to kill wax moth caterpillars that are inside the beehive.Doesnt kill bees or the bees larvae.

skhan

• United States, Florida, Coral Springs, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Videos of Garden
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2020, 09:58:56 PM »
Search Bacillus Thuringiensis treatment.Its a biological control for caterpillars .
A bacteria thats harmless for people and animals but it kills caterpillars after they get in contact with it.
Probably its more expensive than regular insecticides ( poisonous) but worth the monney because its effective and safe.
Its soo safe that i use it to kill wax moth caterpillars that are inside the beehive.Doesnt kill bees or the bees larvae.
Did that for mine a few years back. Worked out great.

Tommyng

• Acreage florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2020, 10:06:26 PM »
They used to infest my desert roses until my son saw them. He collects them all.
Don’t rush, take time and enjoy life and food.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2020, 10:16:37 PM »
They used to infest my desert roses until my son saw them. He collects them all.

Weboh

• US, FL, St. Petersburg, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 05:55:09 PM »
Thanks. That looks promising I'll try it.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 07:20:02 PM »
The Gulf fritillary or passion butterfly.
Here's one from last year on my Incarnatas...

They are welcome in my garden.
My passionflower is such a robust grower they don't make a dent.

Kevin

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2020, 08:34:13 AM »
Nice thing about BT is that it is not a poison.  Caterpillars need to eat the leaf containing the BT and the bacteria in its gut kill it.  I keep bees and am very careful to NOT us a poison (wish my neighbors were).  I too enjoy the butterflies (Gulf Fritillary) and there is enough passiflora around for them.  I use the BT on very small plants or the "special ones".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk