Author Topic: Avocado Tree Problems  (Read 723 times)

mxcolin

• USA, Rocklin, CA - Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Avocado Tree Problems
« on: April 28, 2020, 07:36:08 PM »
Here are some pictures of my Haas Avocado Tree:

It lost a lot of leaves in early Spring. Then a bunch of what looked like the beginning of fruit appeared, however almost all of that fruit looks to have shriveled up now. New leaves are appearing, but the tree itself doesn't look great. Is this normal or should I be expecting some other begavior?

I applied Avocado fertilizer in spring and I water the tree every 3 days with a fairly deep soak. We already have weather in the 90's during the day and there's really no rain to speak of.

Any recommendations are appreciated. 

Jack, Nipomo

• San Luis Obispo County, CA zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Tree Problems
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2020, 08:03:22 PM »
Pretty common this time of year.  Old leaves dropping to be replaced by new ones.  Sometimes excessive defoliation can be the consequence of high dissolved solids in the irrigation water, leaving tip burn on the leaves and subsequent drop.  Sunburn on exposed limbs can be a result of lack of leaf canopy and limbs can be whitewashed with water-based white latex paint for protection from the sun.  By July, all should be fine as the new leaves will appear and your tree should be fine.  It is still flowering and that process will continue.  I have several trees that do this, but recover by July with no extra care.

mxcolin

• USA, Rocklin, CA - Zone 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Avocado Tree Problems
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2020, 11:30:47 PM »
Thanks for the info. That’s a relief. I thought I had damaged it somehow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk