Author Topic: Culantro (Eryngium foetidum)  (Read 2514 times)

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Culantro (Eryngium foetidum)
« on: April 01, 2017, 04:48:16 PM »
Copied from old forum:

LivingParadise

View Profile Personal Message (Online)

Culantro
« on: October 21, 2016, 01:56:57 PM »

OK, so I got come culantro seeds from Puerto Rico. That's CUL-antro, not CILantro. It's a plant that tastes like cilantro apparently, but does better in the tropics. Very much needed, because I have grown a ton of cilantro plants, only to have each one of them die shortly after becoming a nice leafy plant. They don't like it here.

Haven't planted the seeds yet. Anyone know about or have experience growing culantro?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob407

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Re: Culantro
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2016, 11:12:20 PM »

These are easy to grow and require very little care. They are excellent when cooked in beans and soups and fresh in salads and spring rolls.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living Paradise

Thanks for the info - awesome to know! I got busy and didn't get around to planting them yet, but they're in an airtight sealed packet. Should be planting soon. I hope they turn out as great as they sound from your description.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
knlim000
Re: Culantro
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 10:09:39 AM »

make sure to keep it away from snail slugs. the will eat all of it if the find it.  i grow mine in hanging basket and they love water. dont give full sun.

LivingParadise

• Florida Keys, Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Culantro (Eryngium foetidum)
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2017, 04:49:29 PM »
My update to this incidentally is that I planted the seeds about a month ago, but not much has come up. We are in the midst of dry season here, so I'm hoping when it rains more, seedlings will start popping up. 

Chandramohan

• India, Kerala, Wynad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 09:45:37 AM »
They grow like weeds in my garden. They like partial shade .

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 11:59:00 AM »
Here is a good link about it: https://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/proceedings1999/v4-506.html

It's very common in Trinidad and used in a lot of the cooking there.

ericalynne

• United States of America, Florida, Venus, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 12:23:53 PM »
I started some culantro seeds this year. They took about a month to germinate and are pretty slow growing so far. In the past I have bought plants and they have almost immediately produced flowering stalks. Good to know they should be in shade. The leaves are very prickly. They are currently in under shade cloth. Now reading more about it, perhaps it grows better in the fall with the shorter day lengths. We shall see.
Erica

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 09:14:15 AM »
The saw leaf/mexican/broadleaf coriander (culantro) can be used the same way as regular coriander (cilantro) and the taste is surprisingly similar. It is surprising just how many people hate the taste of these herbs.The broadleaf one is perennial and has gone feral in my lawn.