Author Topic: Honeybell and HLB  (Read 1218 times)

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
Honeybell and HLB
« on: April 04, 2019, 08:18:11 PM »
I have been having a talk with another forum member via messenger about HLB resistant/tolerant citrus and one of the types that came up was the Honeybell. I went out and bought a couple Honeybell fruits the following day and was blown away by how good they are and easy to peel and eat. I would love to grow one of these trees but being unsure of how it is affected by citrus greening I am hesitant. This other member suggested that he/she believes that it has some resistance as Florida growers have started to replace their infected trees with the Honeybell. Can anyone comment on this or know if this is working? I did not ask permission to use this individuals screen name hence the anonymity however feel free to chime in here if you like. I would be excited to grow this variety but I would be hesitant to grow something that would just end up dying or not producing down the road. If anyone has any info on this or any other resistant/tolerant varieties please share. I am excited about the prospect of this type or any for that matter that will do well. I’m in Florida space coast 9b. Thanks!

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Honeybell and HLB
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2019, 09:44:15 PM »
If your writing about Honeybell, also known as Minneola Tangelo, (a cross between a Dancy Tangerine and Duncan grapefruit) this variety if very sensitive to HLB.  However, if you are actually writing about Sugar Belle (which is a cross between Clementine, and Mineola) than yes it has some resistance to HLB.  Many growers in Florida are indeed planting Sugarbelle.

chris1

• Brevard county, Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2019, 08:35:27 AM »
If your writing about Honeybell, also known as Minneola Tangelo, (a cross between a Dancy Tangerine and Duncan grapefruit) this variety if very sensitive to HLB.  However, if you are actually writing about Sugar Belle (which is a cross between Clementine, and Mineola) than yes it has some resistance to HLB.  Many growers in Florida are indeed planting Sugarbelle.

I was indeed talking about honeybelle sadly. I already have a sugarbelle planted. Waiting for it to mature and grow fruit.

saltyreefer

• Palm Bay, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2019, 07:28:42 PM »
I also have a young honeybell I planted around 3-4 months ago.

TooFarNorth

• U.S.A., Georgia, 8A
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2019, 10:21:08 PM »
Sugarbelle is supposedly more resistant to HLB.  It is an excellent mandarin IMO.

TFN

nighthawk0911@yahoo.com

• Blue lives matter.
    • SW Florida Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 03:13:54 AM »
Not that it means anything, but my Honeybell and my Persian Lime are the two healthiest citrus trees I have left.  Many of my other citrus trees have died or are dying.  I
My Honeybell is about 5-6 years old and my youngest citrus tree so maybe it just hasn't been infected yet.
Blessed be the man who plants a tree knowing he will never live to enjoy it's fruit or shade.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk