Author Topic: California's lone coconut palm  (Read 3236 times)

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
California's lone coconut palm
« on: June 12, 2014, 10:40:52 PM »
Here it is in Newport Beach, living in a micro-climate since 1984. http://americanvoyages.blogspot.com/2011/11/newport-beach-coconut-palm.html

From Atlasobsucara.com
« Last Edit: June 12, 2014, 10:48:47 PM by Marsbars »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: California's lone coconut palm
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 10:57:31 PM »
I think there are some coconut palms also in San Diego area, but usually don't live long, and they ofcourse never fruit.
Oscar

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2014, 11:08:16 PM »
I think there are some coconut palms also in San Diego area, but usually don't live long, and they ofcourse never fruit.
Hmm I dont recall seeing any when I went to san diego a couple of weeks ago.  But who knows? There one of may favorite fruits.  Ive heard in some places they grow almost like weeds. At least those Washingtonia palms grow well here.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2014, 11:27:40 PM »
Hmm I dont recall seeing any when I went to san diego a couple of weeks ago.  But who knows? There one of may favorite fruits.  Ive heard in some places they grow almost like weeds. At least those Washingtonia palms grow well here.

Coconuts are weedy here along much of the rainy side of the island. The coconuts in San Diego are in backyard gardens, not in public places.
Oscar

MangoFang

• Palm Springs, CA, Zone 9B
  • Palm Springs, CA
    • Riverside, Palm Springs/CA, 92264,9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2014, 11:46:11 PM »
Amazing, Marsbars - enjoyed every minute of this article. i just wonder though,
how many folks in our non-tropical climate have successfully grown them for
years in a greenhouse or in a home with high ceilings and lots of windows...

Gary

marklee

• Chula Vista, California Zone 24 or 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2014, 11:57:27 PM »
I know of one in San Diego, that has been around a while, not great looking but it is surviving.

Marsbars

• CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2014, 12:15:36 AM »
I know of one in San Diego, that has been around a while, not great looking but it is surviving.

Amazing, Marsbars - enjoyed every minute of this article. i just wonder though,
how many folks in our non-tropical climate have successfully grown them for
years in a greenhouse or in a home with high ceilings and lots of windows...

Gary
There is one in the san diego zoo, as well as a jackfruit tree.

http://www.growsonyou.com/photo/slideshow/176699-cocos-nucifera-coconut-tree-at-the-san-diego-zoo

I really dont agree with posting links from other forums, but on palm talk there is a Topic that talks about California´s Cocos.http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/25082-updates-on-coconut-palms-in-california/page-2  Ive seen pictures of people growing them in unheated pool houses (if that's what you call them?), but they never fruited. Ive also seen pictures of them growing in a south facing wall of a house in Oceanside. Them seem to 'barely' survive (probably die), when they are by the southern coast of California from what I've heard and seen from others. Ive heard sucess with people tying heating cables to the roots. I dont know if its that much true though. Although there is a great deal of success when planted in a pot. I have even germinated a store bought coconut! It rotted, I believe because too much humidity. Oh well. :-\
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 12:23:25 AM by Marsbars »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 02:35:05 AM »
There used to be lots of rare fruit trees at San Diego zoo planted and maintained by CRFG members. The zoo had given them a section to plant rare fruits. I heard they were all doing well, and then one day, without any announcement to CRFG the zoo staff dozed the whole area to put in more cages. Needless to say CRFG group was not very happy.
Oscar