Author Topic: When To Graft Jackfruit In Florida  (Read 2227 times)

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
When To Graft Jackfruit In Florida
« on: April 12, 2020, 01:13:18 PM »
What time of year is best for grafting Jackfruit in Florida? Is there a graft type that seems to work better than others?

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
Re: When To Graft Jackfruit In Florida
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2020, 01:49:47 PM »
This is good time, for me I start in March before it gets to wet.

JoeP450

• Mahaha Chinook
    • Palm City FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2020, 01:55:25 PM »
I tried some on April 4th, 2 approach grafts to TM Red, 3 approach grafts to Excalibur red and 7 cleft grafts of Excalibur Red will know in a month if any worked, 1st time grafting jackfruit.

-Joe

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
What time of year is best for grafting Jackfruit in Florida? Is there a graft type that seems to work better than others?

If you have a controlled environment to keep your grafted trees in, you can probably graft all year. Cleft grafting seems to work okay with jackfruit.

Approach grafting will probably give you higher success rates.

If you do not have a controlled environment to keep your trees, it may be better to only graft during the warmer months.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 03:56:50 PM »
I like the early spring as you can find scions with more stores of carbohydrates.You know that have not started rampant growth.Also I find more bacterial and fungal pathogens in the grafts when it gets wet.

Satya

• North Miami Beach, FL , Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • Growing rare tropicals and fruit trees.
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 01:28:08 PM »
I tried some on April 4th, 2 approach grafts to TM Red, 3 approach grafts to Excalibur red and 7 cleft grafts of Excalibur Red will know in a month if any worked, 1st time grafting jackfruit.

-Joe

Joe how did your cleft grafts do? I am not interested in approach grafted ones, it needs an established tree which i don’t have but have a lot of seedlings and friends willing to share scions of popular varieties. I tried side grafts on 25 seedlings 4 weeks ago. Usually i get 90 percent success with side graft in mangoes annonas and loquats and only 10 percent cleft graft success. So i grafted 25 seedlings and only 2 are still green, rest dried off. They were in the patio, no rain, but watered with rain water regularly. The plants look healthy and growing well. I will try to learn bud grafting next but i wonder what is the reason for such high failure.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 01:31:47 PM »

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 03:15:19 PM »
Jakfruit is not that easy to graft.  Cleft graft and side veneer can work but it’s a lot tougher than mangoes, for instance.  What I saw at the Excalibur nursery was lots of approach grafts which is obviously less efficient than cleft grafts in terms of both labor and scion material.  Some professional grafters find this tough too.  Same thing for me with champedek.
Peter

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »
Jakfruit is not that easy to graft.  Cleft graft and side veneer can work but it’s a lot tougher than mangoes, for instance.  What I saw at the Excalibur nursery was lots of approach grafts which is obviously less efficient than cleft grafts in terms of both labor and scion material.  Some professional grafters find this tough too.  Same thing for me with champedek.
Peter

Thanks Peter, good to know.

Oncorhynchus

• SW Florida, 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 04:57:19 PM »
After reading a study done in India that suggested higher success during the warmer months, I tried two grafts on direct sown seedlings 4-6 weeks ago; one cleft and one veneer. I prepared the scions by cutting the leaves off a week before and wrapped them with buddy tape after cutting them from the tree. Both failed but it took the cleft longer to fail.

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2020, 05:06:12 PM »
After reading a study done in India that suggested higher success during the warmer months, I tried two grafts on direct sown seedlings 4-6 weeks ago; one cleft and one veneer. I prepared the scions by cutting the leaves off a week before and wrapped them with buddy tape after cutting them from the tree. Both failed but it took the cleft longer to fail.

Thanks for the update. Mine were a month old seedlimgs as well but growing pretty fast, 2ft tall in 1g pots. I did not prepare the scions though. Have you tried bud grafting? I have seen youtube videos of it being done in some commercial imdoan farm and they make it look so easy, i will try my luck and see, last resort before i ask friends if i can come hang some of my pots onto their trees :)

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2020, 08:53:34 PM »
With stuff that is difficult to graft you need to try different techniques, find something that feels very good and keep at it.  It’s best if you graft frequently.
You can see lots of grafting on YouTube that looks easy and supposedly always works.  I graft a lot of durian which is also difficult. I watched lots of videos and talked to different grafters who claimed high success rates.  Some of those nurseries have lots of root stocks that have been grafted many times.
For me it comes down to the details.  The condition of the scion and making sure that the graft doesn’t even begin to dry out are among the most important.  The advantage of the approach graft is that the scion is not going to dry out.  That’s where many of these grafts fail.
Peter

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2020, 09:45:39 PM »
Durianlover had posted about how they bud graft jackfruit in India with great success. I would like to see it in person. It is unclear to me how / when to select the buds

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2020, 10:53:18 AM »
I’ve seen bud grafting of durian in Malaysia and it’s about as you would expect.  The bud is just starting to come out and the wrapping on the bud itself is not tight.  As in patch grafting they removed that part after about 10 days.  With Jakfruit it could be slower.  My cleft grafts on durian take 2-3 weeks to set up while jak and champedek can take twice as long.
Peter

Satya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2020, 12:24:20 PM »
I’ve seen bud grafting of durian in Malaysia and it’s about as you would expect.  The bud is just starting to come out and the wrapping on the bud itself is not tight.  As in patch grafting they removed that part after about 10 days.  With Jakfruit it could be slower.  My cleft grafts on durian take 2-3 weeks to set up while jak and champedek can take twice as long.
Peter

Thanks Peter.. in your experience, is the bud grafting success rate better on green wood of the rootstock or on the woody branch?

Finca La Isla

• View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 03:15:39 PM »
What I would like is where the Woody is becoming green.  But this technique offers more options as far as size/age than cleft grafts which, generally, are now my go-to choice of graft.
Saludos

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2020, 03:56:16 PM »
I like the early spring as you can find scions with more stores of carbohydrates.You know that have not started rampant growth.Also I find more bacterial and fungal pathogens in the grafts when it gets wet.

The fungal issue are also apparant when the grafts material are in pots on the ground.  Agree with Sheehan, approach grafts hung in trees seem to do very well in SFla.
- Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk