Author Topic: Growing Vanilla Bean in Southern California  (Read 5148 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
Growing Vanilla Bean in Southern California
« on: January 28, 2019, 12:59:24 AM »
Does anyone have experience growing this vine outdoors and getting it to produce?

I have a little orchard growing and wouldnt mind having vanilla bean vines wrapping the trunks.

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
Re: Growing Vanilla Bean in Southern California
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2019, 05:51:59 AM »
Not possible. It's supposed to require high humidity and high warmth all year long, and my understanding is that even in the tropical countries where it's grown commercially, it still needs to be hand-pollinated for reliable production.

shot

• usa fl bokeelia 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2019, 12:10:15 PM »
I don't know your conditions, but the right micro climate?
My vine made 50 beans this year after being beat up some in Irma storm,But!!!!! curing the beans is one pain in the $#%$$ss

The beans were set by Euglossa viridissima they naturalized here now

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/06c0/2bdb02f6e366c1f9ccca1dd25e8a42ce2f42.pdf
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 02:10:13 PM by shot »

ben mango

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2019, 12:21:31 PM »
Not possible. It's supposed to require high humidity and high warmth all year long, and my understanding is that even in the tropical countries where it's grown commercially, it still needs to be hand-pollinated for reliable production.

i think it would be possible in a greenhouse, considering the price for fresh vanilla, it could be worth it too

SoCal2warm

• zone 10 and zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2019, 07:51:09 PM »
This is just from memory, but from research I've looked into in the past it is possible.
Vanilla orchid can grow in Southern California but it requires a spot under a patio, or other ideal spot, where it will get mostly shade, and needs to be planted in a spot that has some humidity, like from lots of other surrounding plants that get watered often.
You're going to have to create the right microclimate where it won't get baked in the sun and dry out.
It's also going to need to be surrounded, to avoid winds blowing through and drying things out. But the spot can't be completely shaded or cold all the time, and at least a little bit of sunlight has to be able to filter down onto the plant.

For anyone who's ever tried to grow gardenias or raspberries in Southern California, you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 07:56:33 PM by SoCal2warm »

Louie

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 12:17:38 AM »
It is possible to grow vanilla bean in California.  As a matter of fact they seem to grow just fine despite a lot of other information on the internet.  I picked up a small plant a couple years ago from the Orchid Estate in Santa Barbara and left it uncovered and mostly uncared for.  They like shade and will burn if left in direct sun.  After about a year mine produced about 5 flowers, one of which i successfully pollinated.  Unfortunately this was in the fall and the fruit only developed about 3/4 the way over winter (as well as i didn't bother to cure it properly when ripe which is a pain and time consuming).  I currently have about 5 smallish cuttings growing under various trees unprotected that look no worse for wear even in the middle of winter.

ScottR

• USA,Arroyo Grande,Calif. 93420,zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2019, 06:20:48 PM »
Louie, first off congrats on fruiting vanilla bean orchid in Ca. not in g.h. Are you close to Ocean or do you do something for high humidity?

Louie

• Santa Barbara, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2019, 12:15:11 AM »
Thanks scott, I live a couple miles away from the ocean on the lower riviera part of Santa Barbara.  I didn’t do anything for humidity it seems like I indirect light is the most important factor.  It almost never freezes in town (or the foothills) anymore which helps a lot.  These vines also do great as house plants.

AnnonaMangoLord45

• LeafyMango
  • I love Mangoes
    • SoCal zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 12:01:34 PM »
Oh it’s really easy turns out, mines survived all sorts of bs, just keep it in the shade or only allow morning sun and it will carry

MameyDisco

• Guayabero
  • Cuban Seeds Floridian Sunset
    • U.S.A., Florida, Homestead / Redland, 10b
    • View Profile
    • Tropication Rare Plants
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 03:07:53 AM »
There’s a current research program here in South Florida, led by Dr. Chambers & Dr. Bassil.

http://blogs.ifas.ufl.edu/news/2018/06/12/uf-ifas-hopes-to-grow-vanilla-meet-consumer-demand/

Aside from the native Vanilla orchids there’s a focus on Vanilla planifolia, V. odorata, V. pompona.

I may be curious to assist UF TREC in any potential experimentation since I’m luckily nearby.

https://crec.ifas.ufl.edu/extension/trade_journals/2017/2017_June_vanilla.pdf

I personally booked this program for the Rare Fruit Council International (RFCI) in Miami, Florida. Really looking forward to it.

January 8, 2020 - Dr. Alan H. Chambers “Vanilla in Southern Florida: Conservation, Commercial Production, & Breeding New Cultivars” (UF TREC, Miami-Dade, Florida)
Tropication Nursery - https://TropicationPlants.com

DJ Mamey Disco's Softer Than Satin MIXES - https://www.mixcloud.com/softersatin