Author Topic: Lime Tree Needs Help  (Read 1634 times)

Bigsnook22

• Coconut Creek Florida USA
    • View Profile
Lime Tree Needs Help
« on: January 25, 2020, 05:08:38 PM »
So i purchased at Home Depot over a year ago, use citrus fertilizer every 3 months. Tree is not growing or doing much of anyhthing. I purchased soil test kit...so far ph is neutral @ 7. I have to wait another day to finish other tests. But i have an Avacado tree in general area doing well. Gets direct sunlight most of day...sun rises over trees in pic(facing East). Watered enough to keep grass green...a few times a week. Any insight would be appreciated. Live in South Florida.

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
Re: Lime Tree Needs Help
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 09:51:35 AM »
I see a lake in the background of your picture.  How high is the water tables?  The lime wont like sitting in water constantly.

Bigsnook22

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 11:16:52 AM »
Not sure how to definitively measure but it is not to shallow that I have noticed when digging. Pond level drops fairly quickly when we get several days of heavy rain....No standing water in yard.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 11:41:13 AM »
Looking at the second picture, it is showing your tree is deficient in magnesium,  The symptom of a magnesium deficiency in a citrus tree is older leaves showing a green delta shape in the center of the leaf with yellowing out on the far sides.     To correct the deficiency, apply Epsom Salts (magnesium sulfate)   Epsom salts is 9,8% magnesium and 12.9% sulfur.  You can correct this by applying 4 oz. Epsom salts dissolved in one gallon of WARM water plus one teaspoon surfactant or a soap..  Do not apply during high temperatures.  Apply in the morning or late afternoon.   Also tell us the age of the tree and what has been the general fertilizer program you have been giving this tree.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 11:47:10 AM by Millet »

Bigsnook22

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 02:41:54 PM »
I purchased about a year ago and few mos, tree was same size. So less than 2 years old i guess. Vigoro citrus and avocado plant food, 6-4-6. About quarterly, 3 handfuls around tree. Last applied about 3 weeks ago.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 04:24:34 PM »
I looked up Vigoro 6-4-6 to see if that formulation also contained the required trace minerals need by the tree.  However, only the front of he bag is shown, the total formulation must be on the back of the bag.  Anyway, a fertilizer having 6% nitrogen, as Vigoro 6-4-6 does, should be applied  5  times a year for a citrus tree 2 years of age.  Always be sure not to place any fertilizer against the tree's trunk.  lastly. the basin that you cut out of the grass is quite small for a citrus tree's root system.  If you place fertilizer on the grass to feed the tree's  roots as they expand outward, the grass will use up most of the nutrition.  Therefore, the tree will not receive the nutrition it requires.  Citrus are heavy feeders, requiring more nutrition than most plants.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 04:27:56 PM by Millet »

Bigsnook22

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:10:42 PM »
Ok got it. What fertilizer and application do you all recommend? I used the last of the Vigoro so i am open to suggestions. I have a bag of 10-10-10 all purpose fertilizer, bonemeal, bloodmeal, cow manure.....I also buried a few fish carcases around tree...i fish.

lebmung

• Romania, Bucharest,7b (inside city 8a)
    • View Profile
    • Plante tropicale
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 06:44:24 PM »
Check your water, those deficiency start with a high accumulation of calcium which blocks magnesium uptake and iron.

Bigsnook22

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2020, 06:49:59 PM »
Millet...I heeded your advice. Leaves have more color today. How often should i salt bath? Also expanded the base clearing.

[/url]

« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 06:57:37 PM by Bigsnook22 »

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2020, 07:26:41 AM »
What do you mean by "salt bath"?

Bigsnook22

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2020, 10:51:35 AM »
The epsom salt watering....my horticultral slang.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2020, 12:28:10 PM »
Bigsnook,  your tree does look better.  You don't need to apply any more Epsom salts at this time.  You could apply additional applications ever couple months.  Good look to you and this tree.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk