Author Topic: White Jade Pineapple  (Read 76172 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: White Jade Pineapple
« Reply #175 on: June 22, 2017, 09:30:03 AM »
Thanks, now I just have wait half a year:)

Simon

Yeah but it will be worth the wait... the way your White Jade turned out almost makes me wanna try and regrow one again
but not sure i wanna take that chance taken offsets from the mother plant that's sickly who knows they mite grow better I'll
see what happens once the fruit is ripe on mine
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 22, 2017, 12:14:41 PM »
How can you tell when White Jade is ripe and ready to be picked?
John

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 22, 2017, 09:34:45 PM »
Here's an update of my White Jade Pineapples I got from Adam. The leaves get frozen back a bit every winter but I just cut off the dead parts and it grows fine.

One of my plants that I overfed with fertilizer in the middle of its crown of leaves had severe fertilizer burn and the original plant died back only to give me about 10 suckers, slips or ratoons. Maybe the way to induce suckering is by harming the plant?

Here are the pictures. The picture with multiple plants in one pot is the one I killed back and multiple suckers replaced the original plant that eventually died. I already removed 4 suckers from that pot.

Simon
what a beauty .Your pineapple seems happy .Unfortunately we dont have this variety here in malaysia.The pineapple that is considered superior and have good demand due to taste here is sarawak and MD2 (introduced from hawaii) .From what i read here this variety can easily beat the two varieties we have in malaysia.Now i am looking for suckers or slips of this variety :)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 23, 2017, 04:23:30 PM »
Growing these White Jade pineapples has been so exciting. Today I was checking out the flower when I noticed that the flower stalk was bulging on the side and some protrusions were sticking out.

I'm assuming these are more daughter plants. I've read lots of literature on growing Pineapple recently but this is the first time I've had these firm on my plant because this is the first flower stalk I've got on my pineapples. There appears to be a lot of these growths which is great because I want to grow a bunch of these White Jades out but I understand that these can decrease the size of the fruit by taking energy away from the forming fruit.

What would you guys/gals do? My original intent was to grow as large and Sweet a White Jade as possible, that's why I didn't force this plant to bloom even though it's been close to 4 years. But now I have the opportunity to get lots of suckers. Perhaps the best resolution is to keep 1-3 of the largest suckers and remove the rest? What if I let the suckers grow to about 3 inches like the tissue culture plants and remove all of them at this point so I'll get to keep all my suckers yet I'm still removing them early enough that there is little effect on the maturing fruit?

These amazing plants are such a joy to grow!

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 23, 2017, 04:26:03 PM »
they are called slips you can leave them on and still grow a good size pineapple or you can take them off... but if you wanna regrow new plants you should keep them on the plant and the  suckers that grow below  in-between the leaves wait till there about 12 inch's before you take them off
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 04:30:15 PM by Evildeadguy »

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #180 on: June 23, 2017, 04:36:57 PM »
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:17:59 PM by Evildeadguy »

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 23, 2017, 08:23:53 PM »
Thanks for the info and pic Jimmy. I know the longer I leave the slips on, the larger they'll get and the sooner I'll get fruit from them(slips). I'll just let them all grow for now and make my decision later on.
Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 23, 2017, 08:29:17 PM »
Here's an update of my White Jade Pineapples I got from Adam. The leaves get frozen back a bit every winter but I just cut off the dead parts and it grows fine.

One of my plants that I overfed with fertilizer in the middle of its crown of leaves had severe fertilizer burn and the original plant died back only to give me about 10 suckers, slips or ratoons. Maybe the way to induce suckering is by harming the plant?

Here are the pictures. The picture with multiple plants in one pot is the one I killed back and multiple suckers replaced the original plant that eventually died. I already removed 4 suckers from that pot.

Simon
what a beauty .Your pineapple seems happy .Unfortunately we dont have this variety here in malaysia.The pineapple that is considered superior and have good demand due to taste here is sarawak and MD2 (introduced from hawaii) .From what i read here this variety can easily beat the two varieties we have in malaysia.Now i am looking for suckers or slips of this variety :)

Maybe you can see if they will ship to you. http://m.ebay.com/itm/121657952646?_mwBanner=1

Simon

arvind

• Malaysia
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 23, 2017, 09:59:49 PM »
Wow thanks for the link simon_ grow :)

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #184 on: June 24, 2017, 09:26:47 AM »
How can you tell when White Jade is ready to be picked?????
John

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 24, 2017, 09:43:52 AM »

it will be ripe when it turns yellow and has a nice fragrance to it... and one other way to tell is if the critters get to it first before you do not joking :)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 24, 2017, 10:39:38 AM »
I've never picked a White Jade or White Sugarloaf but according to Jude, you wait for the eyes of the pineapples to turn yellow all the way up the pineapple. The fruit can be green with yellow eyes all the way up. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=apMpDjCwfZM

Simon

johnb51

• View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 25, 2017, 08:36:54 AM »
Thank you, Jimmy and Simon.
John

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 30, 2017, 08:32:29 PM »
The first few flowers on the bottom are starting to thicken up.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 01, 2017, 07:32:42 AM »
Well done!

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 02, 2017, 05:04:31 PM »
thanks for the info Simon!

yes I think they can handle full sun..mine are in full sun too.

I notice some have red coloration on the leaves, and some do not.

Even the mother plants I have, one is reddish, one is not.

I have a fruit set on the mother plant...so I will be sure to keep the forum posted as it progresses.

I don't see pineapples on your website. Do you have a complete list of what you sell?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 02, 2017, 08:14:20 PM »
Adam is very busy and used to Carry White Jade pineapple plants but not sure if it's currently in stock. You can order White Jade from here as well.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/PINEAPPLE-PLANT-COLLECTION-White-Jade-Sugarloaf-Florida-Special-/121657952646

Simon

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 02, 2017, 08:18:38 PM »
Im sure if you pist in the buy sell, someone i. Florida has white Jade to sell.  Unfortunately I am no longer a fan or proponent of ebay.  Too many scam artists and truly not worth the effort.  I would rather pay a little more for a comfortable piece of mind.
- Rob

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 06, 2017, 10:23:14 PM »
I see flower petals sticking out on the bottom most flowers and the slips are getting bigger now. Anyone know about how much of a reduction in size I will get by leaving all the slips?

I really wanted to grow the largest White Jade I could possibly grow but these plants are so beautiful that I'm tempted to let this plant grow undisturbed so that I can get pictures of this beautiful plant in all its glory. Here's a couple pictures from today.

Simon

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 07, 2017, 08:25:06 AM »
I see flower petals sticking out on the bottom most flowers and the slips are getting bigger now. Anyone know about how much of a reduction in size I will get by leaving all the slips?

I really wanted to grow the largest White Jade I could possibly grow but these plants are so beautiful that I'm tempted to let this plant grow undisturbed so that I can get pictures of this beautiful plant in all its glory. Here's a couple pictures from today.

Simon

Those are gorgeous Simon!   Did you trick it into production with anything?

Like my drill of leaving "suckers" on tomatoes versus doing grandma's drill of plucking them off.....I would think those slips, leaves, are producing carbos via photosynthesis and not acting as a "sink" for the overall plant, a drain on it.  The only thing they're taking away is water and salts via the root system. 

Would like for someone to prove my theory wrong with a study.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 07, 2017, 09:31:29 AM »
the slips won't hurt the fruit from getting to its full size. Big time pineapple growers leave them on and the fruit still gets huge
what can hurt the fruit from reaching its full size is the mother plant itself not reaching its full size the bigger the plant the bigger
the fruit will be and it helps to that the plant gets full sun

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 07, 2017, 12:13:39 PM »

Mark, this White Jade flowered naturally. I didn't want to force it because I knew about the relationship between the size of the plant and the fruit produced.

Simon

Simon

Those are gorgeous Simon!   Did you trick it into production with anything?

Like my drill of leaving "suckers" on tomatoes versus doing grandma's drill of plucking them off.....I would think those slips, leaves, are producing carbos via photosynthesis and not acting as a "sink" for the overall plant, a drain on it.  The only thing they're taking away is water and salts via the root system. 

Would like for someone to prove my theory wrong with a study.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 07, 2017, 12:21:49 PM »
Jimmy, in that 300+ page pineapple book you sent me, there was a sentence or two that stated some growers remove the slips from the stalk to increase fruit size but they didn't give any additional information.

I agree with Mark and the green leaves from the slips should produce its own energy. These plants have the Nutricote fertilizer so they should have plenty of nutrients so I'm just going to leave all the slips. I have another White Jade that is a bit smaller than this one and I'll probably remove all the slips when it flowers so I can compare size of fruit and Brix levels. Who knows, the slips could potentially increase Brix levels.

Thanks for info guys,

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 11, 2017, 09:48:55 PM »
Here's the latest update. There are seven slips coming from the stalk. I can see more of the flower petals sticking out of the bracts and slowly moving up the pineapple. I'm also starting to see a bit of green which makes me think that the fruit is starting to form now.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 11, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
Here is possibly the worlds smallest, non tissue cultured, White Jade. I was removing some small White Jade suckers a while back and accidentally knocked off a tiny 1.5 Inch sucker. It didn't really have any roots but I stuck it in a pot anyways. Well, it appears the original sucker is dead or at least almost dead but now I just noticed that the plant produced a tiny baby which must have formed from the roots which eventually developed.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk