Author Topic: Artocarpus and frost  (Read 1249 times)

850FL

• zone 8b/9a
    • View Profile
Artocarpus and frost
« on: June 11, 2020, 01:31:49 PM »
Cold hardiest artocarpus-type fruit?
One experienced member told me that durio oxleyanus aka wild durian can survive somewhere in the mid or low 20-degree range of frost events. I’m thinking jackfruit would be somewhere close behind, able to survive probably 25 F..
I had a few understory seeding jackfruits that were unscathed this past winter under live oak cover, and made it through about 10 frosts in the upper 20s just fine. (Meanwhile my soursop suffered heavily). Not sure about a larger tree with more exposure. Seems wind plays a big role in frost damage a lot of the time..
Now I have a couple hundred jackfruit seedlings to play with so I will see where that takes me in the future. Maybe there will be some variation in hardiness.
Also VERY interested in dwarf (Thai?) jackfruit. They seem a hell of a lot more promising to protect and fruit in a northern Fl climate than full size varieties. Must they be grafted or can one root jackfruit cuttings or air layers?
Also how would a dwarf jackfruit scion do on a regular-size jackfruit seedling rootstock?
Thanks
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 01:36:21 PM by 850FL »

Jaboticaba45

• Check out TN Tropical Fruits!
  • Tropical Fruit Tree Connoisseur
    • Chattanooga TN 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Artocarpus and frost
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2020, 02:05:32 PM »
Artocarpus Gonshanensis is supposedly hardy to 45 degrees. I heard it is an endangered tree native to china. Google search found nothing though... Someone made a thread about this.http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=35939.0

CherimoyaDude

• San Francisco / Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2020, 07:47:01 PM »
Kwai Muk is supposed to be cold hardy from what I have read, at least compared to jackfruit

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2020, 09:34:22 PM »
Lakoocha tolerates cold in China.

Budtropicals

• Largest collection in the smallest yard!
    • South Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2020, 10:24:07 AM »
Kwai Muk can tolerate a light frost.

Andreas Gia

• Houston, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 12:21:18 PM »
It seems like a sin but I have both a jackfruit and chempedek on the north side of the house. No protection. Hit lower 20s with wind this last winter. Both lost all of their leaves. They are both about 3 1/2 feet tall and this summer they are growing strong (no dieback). Both were also in containers so I do not know if that was more helpful or more harmful. Never babied either except some wood chips on top of the soil.

I also have 7 different Durio/durian species/hybrids. I have an oxleyanus but personally never experimented with the cold hardiness. I have experimented with humidity and the oxleyanus faired the best at about 40-50% humidity.

Anyone have any information on the hardiest Durio species?

Draak

• East Bay Area California, zone 9a/b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2020, 03:56:48 AM »
Cold hardiest artocarpus-type fruit?
One experienced member told me that durio oxleyanus aka wild durian can survive somewhere in the mid or low 20-degree range of frost events. I’m thinking jackfruit would be somewhere close behind, able to survive probably 25 F..
I had a few understory seeding jackfruits that were unscathed this past winter under live oak cover, and made it through about 10 frosts in the upper 20s just fine. (Meanwhile my soursop suffered heavily). Not sure about a larger tree with more exposure. Seems wind plays a big role in frost damage a lot of the time..
Now I have a couple hundred jackfruit seedlings to play with so I will see where that takes me in the future. Maybe there will be some variation in hardiness.
Also VERY interested in dwarf (Thai?) jackfruit. They seem a hell of a lot more promising to protect and fruit in a northern Fl climate than full size varieties. Must they be grafted or can one root jackfruit cuttings or air layers?
Also how would a dwarf jackfruit scion do on a regular-size jackfruit seedling rootstock?
Thanks

I'm also extremely intrigued by this information! However, I'm really having a hard time finding sources that say Durio Oxleyanus can survive to such low temperatures. It was reported on a different thread that Oxleyanus died at 50F, even with protection! http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4957.msg234879#msg234879

However, I would love to learn that this still works somehow! Do you have any further information?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk