Author Topic: Venus versus other fine mango cultivars  (Read 8962 times)

mangomandan

• When a man is tired of mangos, he is tired of life
    • USA, Lake Worth, Florida, 33461, 10a
    • View Profile
Venus versus other fine mango cultivars
« on: May 28, 2015, 09:46:25 AM »
A friend has asked me to solicit advice here.*

He has a Venus mango tree in a pot that he would like to plant. Due to space considerations he would have to remove one of the following to make room for Venus:

Harvest Moon, 8-feet tall, robust, hasn't bloomed well or held fruit so far.
Angie, 6-feet tall, bearing nicely this year.
Maha Chanok, 4-feet tall, holding one fruit.

He has never tasted Venus or Harvest Moon or Maha, and has limited experience with Angie.

He already has several richly flavored mangos, including LZ, Dot, Sweet Tart, and Peach Cobbler. Venus appeals to him as a possible late-season variety.

Considering things like flavor, productivity, and disease resistance,  which cultivar should he consider getting rid of?

* I have encouraged him to join the forum and seek advice himself, but he is aware of the gentle chiding that can befall someone who chooses and regrets too soon.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Venus versus other fine mango cultivars
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2015, 11:41:55 AM »
Venue should be considered as a top choice for two reasons.  It is an excellent mango and it is late season.  It does eem to have a compact growth habit, very good production and fruit are on the larger size (the three best late season mangoes IMO in terms of taste and production are Venus, Honey Kiss and Beverly).

With that being said, if this person has to remove a tree, I would consider removing Angie or Harvest Moon.  Harvest Moon is a pretty, large mango but to me, not a "knock your socks off" mango.  Angie seems to be inconsistent on quality and seems to have an issue with scab, on the vegetation and fruit.
- Rob

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2015, 02:20:56 PM »
I would get rid of harvest moon due to possible issues with setting fruit.  If mystery person x doesn't have that much space, HM is the likely choice to axe.
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2015, 02:47:40 PM »
I would not be so fast to say any of these "newer" Zill varieties have issues setting fruit.  Most comments are coming from people with trees that are 3 - 4 years old at best.  Not a worthy age of judging productivity.  There is a big difference between beimg productive and being precocious.
- Rob

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 07:54:26 PM »
My very juvenile Angie has scab issues. That, plus learning of its Carrie parentage, does not bode well for this tree's future in the yard. We'll see in a couple years after it has set fruit.

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »
Rob, would you consider Venus to be suitable for shipping?  That is, would a mature/hard fruit be able to withstand 4-5 days under the care of UPS?

Kent and Keitt excel at that, but I I think some cultivars are too fragile.

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 09:52:14 AM »
Rob, would you consider Venus to be suitable for shipping?  That is, would a mature/hard fruit be able to withstand 4-5 days under the care of UPS?

Kent and Keitt excel at that, but I I think some cultivars are too fragile.

Some may feel otherwise however I dont like picking Venus green.  They do not ripen well and taste and texture can be off when picked green.  Where are you shipping  that would take 4 - 5 days?
- Rob

WGphil

• Winter Garden Florida 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 05:24:31 PM »
Of the three late season mango's you mention, which one is the smallest tree.   The Honey Kiss I just tasted and it is very good.  It is the only one I have tasted. 

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
Of the three late season mango's you mention, which one is the smallest tree.   The Honey Kiss I just tasted and it is very good.  It is the only one I have tasted.
I was wondering the same thing.  Im thinking about planting one more tree and the smallest one would be best to make winter protection easier.  Honey Kiss or Venus is what im thinking about

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 09:52:51 PM »
Honey Kiss is the smallest but no trees are currently available.   Venus is not a large tree but it is larger than Honey Kiss.
- Rob

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 01:37:16 PM »
Thanks for the info.   My yard is filling up fast also.  I don't have a late season of any kind now.  Smaller is becoming better at my place also.

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 01:45:46 PM »
Thanks for the info.   My yard is filling up fast also.  I don't have a late season of any kind now.  Smaller is becoming better at my place also.

Ask pugs here about Keitt (late season mango) up north where you are. Keitt is large so can have trouble fully ripening. I only read about Venus here but it might be a better late season candidate. If you can pick only one would prefer an early mango or a late one? I say early. Sure I like to eat late season mangoes but not as much as early and mid season ones. Kent and Golf Nugget are latish. Coming in, in late July to August. IIRc correctly Venus is in that same time frame. Keitts can be really late as into October 10th two years ago my last one was picked

WGphil

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »

Thanks Zands

Ensey is just now selling mango in Merritt Island as it is usually later for things to ripen up this way. 

Our spring is later than further south.  So I tend to stay away from the way early types.  Not sure if it helps or not, but I think I am doing something which helps me.  The late fronts which may only last a day are the problem.   

Tree size is becoming a limit also. 

I already have in the ground a Lemon Zest, Maha Chanok, Mallika, Carrie and Young.   The last three are on the bubble.  All are less than one year in the ground except the Young which is four now.  It has 11 mango on it at the moment.   

The Young will get top worked when I learn the skill.  The Mallika is going to be replaced into a bucket as something crashed into it from the top of the fence.  Broke the stake in two places.  Going to have to mend it a bit. 

The Carrie is in a prime location with a lot of mango's still to taste.  It already is on the bubble. 

I have not tasted a Keitt as of yet.   Just put it on the to try list.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 02:27:24 PM by WGphil »

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »

Thanks Zands

Ensey is just now selling mango in Merritt Island as it is usually later for things to ripen up this way. 

Our spring is later than further south.  So I tend to stay away from the way early types.  Not sure if it helps or not, but I think I am doing something which helps me.  The late fronts which may only last a day are the problem.   

Tree size is becoming a limit also. 

I already have in the ground a Lemon Zest, Maha Chanok, Mallika, Carrie and Young.   The last three are on the bubble.  All are less than one year in the ground except the Young which is four now.  It has 11 mango on it at the moment.   

The Young will get top worked when I learn the skill.  The Mallika is going to be replaced into a bucket as something crashed into it from the top of the fence.  Broke the stake in two places.  Going to have to mend it a bit. 

The Carrie is in a prime location with a lot of mango's still to taste.  It already is on the bubble. 

I have not tasted a Keitt as of yet.   Just put it on the to try list.

Keitt is a lanky tree and as stated before, there are better late season varieties...if tree size is an issue, honey kiss or venus are the front-runners.  Providence is another mango that is late and compact...and is EXCELLENT!  but not sure if it's available.

~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2015, 10:39:35 AM »
I got to try Venus.  The flavor is unique.  At first I called it "perfumey."  But it's actually more like rose or rosewater--at least the ones I sampled from a famous wholesale nursery in Lake Worth.
John

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2017, 08:21:53 PM »
A friend has asked me to solicit advice here.*

He has a Venus mango tree in a pot that he would like to plant. Due to space considerations he would have to remove one of the following to make room for Venus:

Harvest Moon, 8-feet tall, robust, hasn't bloomed well or held fruit so far.
Angie, 6-feet tall, bearing nicely this year.
Maha Chanok, 4-feet tall, holding one fruit.

He has never tasted Venus or Harvest Moon or Maha, and has limited experience with Angie.

He already has several richly flavored mangos, including LZ, Dot, Sweet Tart, and Peach Cobbler. Venus appeals to him as a possible late-season variety.

Considering things like flavor, productivity, and disease resistance,  which cultivar should he consider getting rid of?

* I have encouraged him to join the forum and seek advice himself, but he is aware of the gentle chiding that can befall someone who chooses and regrets too soon.

What was the outcome of this dilemma?

I recently compared the Venus against the HM. Venus may be considered a later season mango but I just ate two of them and a few HM 6/9/17  so I would say there is some variability in that.  As far as taste goes the Venus was with out any doubt the winner. HM was ok, more fiber than I prefer but not fibrous, not very intense and did not seem to have a tartness to it that I prefer.  ( at least the ones I just had ) The Venus was fibreless super flavorful and had a nice acidity to it that just one it a spot in my yard. HM may grow to be a bigger fruit but the ones I got were about the same size as the Venus which was around 1 1/2 lbs to 1 3/4lbs !

bsbullie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2017, 09:55:10 PM »
Harvest Moon has have absolutely no fiber.  Very creamy custard like.  Yes, flavor is a clean, semi-mild almost basic mango flavor.  It produces large fruit but is not a very good producer.
- Rob

mangomandan

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2017, 12:06:12 PM »
"What was the outcome of this dilemma?"

I, umm, have it on good authority that Harvest Moon was replaced with Guava (mango).

Angie was replaced by Venus.  Venus subsequently died back, and was placed in a large pot, where it is gradually recovering.  That spot now sports a baby Phoenix mango.

Maha has grown a bit, having finally set a nice vegetative flush this summer.

mangomongo

• MERRITT ISLAND
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2017, 10:44:42 PM »
Harvest Moon has have absolutely no fiber.  Very creamy custard like.  Yes, flavor is a clean, semi-mild almost basic mango flavor.  It produces large fruit but is not a very good producer.
Maybe fiber was a poor description, deffenatly not stringy but something about it I didn't like. Probably just not ripened properly so it was pretty firm on the outer portion of the flesh and a little watery inside, basic mango flavor agreed.  I deffenatly like the Venus flavor profile better and the texture was more appealing. Taste being subjective and all. 

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2021, 06:02:19 PM »
Venue should be considered as a top choice for two reasons.  It is an excellent mango and it is late season.  It does eem to have a compact growth habit, very good production and fruit are on the larger size (the three best late season mangoes IMO in terms of taste and production are Venus, Honey Kiss and Beverly).

With that being said, if this person has to remove a tree, I would consider removing Angie or Harvest Moon.  Harvest Moon is a pretty, large mango but to me, not a "knock your socks off" mango.  Angie seems to be inconsistent on quality and seems to have an issue with scab, on the vegetation and fruit.

How would you rate Venus's resistance to anthracnose? Especially at fruit set and on the fruit
How much does the fruit typically weigh?
Are there any varieties that you would compare it's sub acid component to.
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry