Author Topic: Soft cherimoya seeds.  (Read 2145 times)

NewGen

• Zone 10a, Central Valley, CA, USA
    • View Profile
Soft cherimoya seeds.
« on: November 29, 2018, 11:22:39 PM »
I bought several cherimoyas recently, and noticed that some of them have seeds that are very soft. The fruits with hard seeds invariably taste much better than those with soft seeds. Is there a correlation between soft seeds & poor quality, hard seeds & much better taste?
Thanks,

jako9403

Re: Soft cherimoya seeds.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2018, 01:09:09 AM »
I think the one with the soft seeds was harvested immature.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2018, 01:13:01 AM »
Never seen soft seeds in a cherimoya.  Did you take a brix reading on the fruit?
Brad Spaugh

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2018, 01:21:40 AM »
I don't have the tool to take a Brix reading. But I know the readings won't be high, the fruits don't taste sweet at all, kinda bland, even the "good" ones with hard seeds. I've had much better cherimoyas, maybe these were all picked too early.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 01:51:43 AM »
Its unfortunate they sell fruit in that state.  No one will buy it again.  And its probably not cheap.
Brad Spaugh

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2018, 04:34:09 AM »
Soft, and hollow seeds, are from bad pollination. I often get fruits that have both hard and soft seeds inside.
Oscar

Coach62

• Naples, FL Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Naples Home Inspections
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2018, 08:35:51 AM »
I bought several cherimoyas recently, and noticed that some of them have seeds that are very soft. The fruits with hard seeds invariably taste much better than those with soft seeds. Is there a correlation between soft seeds & poor quality, hard seeds & much better taste?
Thanks,

Let me guess, Whole Foods?  Everything they ever get is picked way too early.
www.ableinspector.com

Stop New Yorking my Florida!

Bruce

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2018, 10:25:41 AM »
I’ve had soft seeds inside my fully ripe Cherimoyas. The Cherimoya usually has mostly fully hardened seeds and then a couple will be super soft. The area around the soft seeds tastes like insecticide. The soft seeds also tend to be lighter brown in color compared to the black of normal seeds.

In Leo Manuel’s Hybrid fruit, there is a slightly increased rate of the softer brown seeds although in his hybrid, the soft seeded areas do not taste any different. I believe it could at least be partially attributed to the African Pride background?

Simon

NewGen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2018, 02:06:05 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Coach62:
I was passing through Van Nuys, CA and saw a 99 Ranch market, the fruits were green and looked beautiful. I've bought cherimoyas in that condition before many times (not at 99 Ranch), and they all ripened up fine and tasted great.

astronics1

• usa california lake forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2018, 09:29:33 PM »
I pick a full size of Atemoya Geffner two days a go and it was ripping on tree , taste not sweet at all and bland , any one have any idea why?? thank you

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 09:04:27 PM »
Do. Oh have a picture of your tree? How big, old is it? What do you fertilize with? The more information you give, the better.

Simon

LuLa

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 05:55:43 AM »
I just had a cherimoya that had an occasional bitterness while eating, I ignored it thinking it was probably not fully ripe... As I was digging a seed out, I noticed it was soft... this was new, I stopped eating and under further investigation as I pressed my nail against the discarded seeds they were soft, is the cherimoya with soft seeds still safe to eat?  Just as the person above wrote the taste of the flesh  around the soft seed was like insecticide - is this toxic?  I am so worried  :-[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk