Author Topic: Sweet Tart, Orange Sherbert, Etc in SoCal  (Read 1333 times)

the_higher_self

• Los Angeles
    • View Profile
Sweet Tart, Orange Sherbert, Etc in SoCal
« on: December 29, 2019, 01:01:46 PM »
It would be super Lovely to be directed to a place where I could get some established (15 gal) Mango varieties in SoCal. I have reached out to the typical exotic nurseries in my area already(Champa, Mimosa) with no success on these kind. Sweet Tart, Orange Sherb, Lemon Zest, Peach Cobbler. Basically the fly kind teasing folk all across the youtube fruit kingdom. If you know of a nursery or person with any of these please PM me or reply. The obsession is eating me. Need....all....the....bomb....mangoes.  Thank you

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Re: Sweet Tart, Orange Sherbert, Etc in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2019, 01:48:51 PM »
Those are all Zill Florida Mango. 15’s in CA are going to be extremely expensive, if you find them they’ll just be bumped up from 5’s.
There is a rootstock issue as the Mango tree’s shipped from FL are on Turpentine and Manila has been recognized as the best rootstock for SoCal. Should be easier to find tree’s in Spring.
Best bet is to grow Manila seedlings and graft or find someone thats already done that and willing to sell.
Do a forum search on growing mangos in CA, lots if good info.
Welcome to the forum.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2019, 04:59:21 PM »
There may be more available in the near future from the CRFG chapters in your area.

Our chapter has been making new Zill varieties as well as other well-regarded varieties, including the ones known to be successful in our area available to the public at our annual plant sale, though there have been other opportunities for those who are active in the chapters.

Typically the focus has not been on larger trees as trees seem to establish themselves better if planted at a younger age. So typically the size available is the #1-#5 nursery pot size with some #7 (5 gals) available.

My recommendation would be to get in touch with your local chapter and convey your interest, you may be surprised at the opportunities in the coming year.

If you're looking to speed up the process, the recommended approach is to start planting seeds at the nearest opportunity. Once seedlings are established, the trees can be topworked into the sought varieties by approach grafting or other techniques, but the sooner a seed gets in the ground, the longer it has to get established.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 05:08:43 PM by Oolie »

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 04:15:32 PM »
The only place I've seen larger mango trees for sale has been Exotica in San Diego, and usually pretty fairly priced. He doesn't like to part with top tiers and it'll be hard to convince him to sell his Orange Sherbets, but he did offer the uglier of the two to me once... For $150 (5 gallon).

You'd probably be better off just planting seeds from known good types. Florida mango season is starting and sometimes you can buy fruit from known good trees.

I will say for sure my grafted mango doesn't do much but produce tons of flowers at inappropriate times and at a size that it could never bear them at.

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 04:36:52 PM »
It would be super Lovely to be directed to a place where I could get some established (15 gal) Mango varieties in SoCal. I have reached out to the typical exotic nurseries in my area already(Champa, Mimosa) with no success on these kind. Sweet Tart, Orange Sherb, Lemon Zest, Peach Cobbler. Basically the fly kind teasing folk all across the youtube fruit kingdom. If you know of a nursery or person with any of these please PM me or reply. The obsession is eating me. Need....all....the....bomb....mangoes.  Thank you

simon grow and spaugh might have some

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 07:44:48 PM »
 You are much better off growing seeds of the zills stuff and letting them reach maturity and fruit. Then decide if you want to graft them.  You will have much better success that way IMO.   
Brad Spaugh