Author Topic: Best two dragon fruit varieties for South Florida?  (Read 3459 times)

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
Best two dragon fruit varieties for South Florida?
« on: October 11, 2018, 10:10:29 AM »

I am thinking of giving dragon fruits a try in my backyard. What are the varieties that produce well, without hand pollination, in South Florida and have really good flavor? Thanks..

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Best two dragon fruit varieties for South Florida?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 01:07:38 PM »

I am thinking of giving dragon fruits a try in my backyard. What are the varieties that produce well, without hand pollination, in South Florida and have really good flavor? Thanks..
for flavor or just sweetness since they are different and what kinda flavor are you looking for?

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 04:05:09 PM »

for flavor or just sweetness since they are different and what kinda flavor are you looking for?

I have only eaten a few of the fruits and they were not really sweet. but i enjoyed them. I am looking for two varieties that are productive and also have good flavor, not just plain sweetness.  Anything that you would recommend?

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 05:51:45 PM »

I have only eaten a few of the fruits and they were not really sweet. but i enjoyed them. I am looking for two varieties that are productive and also have good flavor, not just plain sweetness.  Anything that you would recommend?
If on facebook here is a group that can see more details on each since like mangoes certain people like certain kinds and others like different kinds https://www.facebook.com/groups/373619656486562/

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 05:53:34 PM »
I would recommend Sugar Dragon and Simon’s purple or American Beauty. Sugar Dragon is especially precocious, very sweet and one of the best flavored according to my palate. It is also very productive and it’s drawback is the very small size of the fruit.

Simons Purple and American Beauty is an excellent tasting fruit that is larger and sweet with excellent flavor as well.

Simon

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:25 PM »

If on facebook here is a group that can see more details on each since like mangoes certain people like certain kinds and others like different kinds https://www.facebook.com/groups/373619656486562/

Thank you!

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 08:38:51 PM »
I would recommend Sugar Dragon and Simon’s purple or American Beauty. Sugar Dragon is especially precocious, very sweet and one of the best flavored according to my palate. It is also very productive and it’s drawback is the very small size of the fruit.

Simons Purple and American Beauty is an excellent tasting fruit that is larger and sweet with excellent flavor as well.

Simon

Thank you, Simon!

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 08:41:36 PM »

Anyone knows how to get a Sugar Dragon plant in South Florida? 

savemejebus

• Coral Springs, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 08:44:02 PM »

I think I have one growing in my yard here in Springs... though which one it is I'm not sure about. Everything was labeled at one point. It  hasn't fruited yet as it was planted last year. One of our plants is making a lot of fruit (red/purple variety) and they're pretty good for dragon fruit. Again, no clue on the variety.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 09:10:53 PM »

Sugar Dragon is a good for south florida but just want to let you know the fruit are much smaller then your normally used to

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 01:19:45 AM »
Buy Kool Aid, it's easier to get, tastes sweeter and better, and leave the rest of the "kool-aid" growers to their own likes.

Seriously, I've said it before I have yet to have a DF that tasted half as good as a prickly pear. I know the kool aid grower / drinkers will bash me, "Find a GOOD one" but I always ask why? There are just Sooo many really good fruits that DF aren't even a blip on my radar screen.
Regards,

Gary

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:52 AM »

Onur in Bradenton listed several varieties. http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=29511.0
Unfortunately he does not ship and only has a short time to sell.
If you know anyone in Bradenton who can pick up and ship to you, throw some business his way.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 06:36:04 AM »
Buy Kool Aid, it's easier to get, tastes sweeter and better, and leave the rest of the "kool-aid" growers to their own likes.

Seriously, I've said it before I have yet to have a DF that tasted half as good as a prickly pear. I know the kool aid grower / drinkers will bash me, "Find a GOOD one" but I always ask why? There are just Sooo many really good fruits that DF aren't even a blip on my radar screen.
Just going to say you have a unique taste to like a prickly pear and not a dragon fruit, that normally is backwards but like i stated before some go for flavor some go for sweetness so like mangoes there is no one great mango everyone loves as number 1 due to there taste preference

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 09:38:57 AM »
I'm growing Natural Mystic and Purple Haze. The Purple Haze is not productive and I only got 2 fruit this June, it's a 1.5 year old plant. The Natural Mystic however is very productive starting from July. Last week I had 9 flowers buds, and today 7 flower buds made it even though we have so much rain from Hurricane Michael. My Natural Mystic is also 1.5 year old, it produce huge fruit. However, most of the fruit I harvested do split so I still need to figure out what's going on. Natural Mystic should be easy to grow and self pollinate.

mangokothiyan

• Coral Springs, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 12:27:01 PM »

Thank you!

FLnative

• Palm Beach County Florida 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2018, 02:58:38 PM »
+1 for Natural Mystic and Purple Haze. Similarly in Delray Beach, Natural Mystic had another good year, but Purple Haze had an off year. In previous years the latter has had descent production and is of good flavor.

kc_moses

• Lake Worth, FL, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2018, 04:10:17 PM »
Good to know that the I'm not the only one that have bad luck with Purple Haze this year. I was considering replace the Purple Haze as I was so frustrated that a couple weeks ago, I had 12 flower buds and all 12 buds didn't make it, 6 flower blooms but die. I will give it another year and see it would catch up. I also grow "Yellow Dragon", hopefully I will get some fruit next year.