Author Topic: Who is growing No Mai Tsze lychee?  (Read 8631 times)

starch

• My brain is like oatmeal
    • Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
Who is growing No Mai Tsze lychee?
« on: April 20, 2016, 08:29:26 PM »

I have been looking into grafting lychees and Oscar pointed out (back in a post in 2012 I think) that the chance for a good take increases if a lychee is grafted onto a seedling from the same cultivar. And because I am very interested in grafting a No Mai Tsze lychee, I am looking for No Mai Tsze seeds.

So my question (and request) to anyone growing No Mai Tsze lychees: Could you save the seeds? I would love to try sprouting the seeds and grafting onto the seedlings.

Thanks!
- Mark

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Who is growing No Mai Tsze lychee?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2016, 10:21:18 AM »
I'm growing it but it's extremely small and it will probably be another 10 years or so before I get fruit from it. It's only about 18 inches tall right now.

Simon

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2016, 10:33:55 AM »
Gotcha, I understand.

Simon, have you been able to find No Mai Tsze lychee fruit over here at all? Or is this something you can only realistically get in China?
- Mark

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2016, 11:52:20 AM »
Exotica grows it and will let you taste the fruit when it is in season.  The workers there say it is the best tasting lychee they grow but it fruits inconsistently.

Bill

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2019, 11:12:47 AM »

I have been looking into grafting lychees and Oscar pointed out (back in a post in 2012 I think) that the chance for a good take increases if a lychee is grafted onto a seedling from the same cultivar. And because I am very interested in grafting a No Mai Tsze lychee, I am looking for No Mai Tsze seeds.

So my question (and request) to anyone growing No Mai Tsze lychees: Could you save the seeds? I would love to try sprouting the seeds and grafting onto the seedlings.

Thanks!

Old Post but wanted to inform that No Mai Tze is very compatible grafting onto longan and hakip rootstocks. I got takes in 3 spots 5 grafts It failed on Brewster. Grows aggressive on longan. It even bloomed in first season.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2019, 11:24:27 AM »

Thanks!

Old Post but wanted to inform that No Mai Tze is very compatible grafting onto longan and hakip rootstocks. I got takes in 3 spots 5 grafts It failed on Brewster. Grows aggressive on longan. It even bloomed in first season.

That is great information, thanks for sharing!
I have a Diamond River longan that I think is going to get topworked then ... :)
- Mark

alexgardens

• USA, St. Petersburg, Florida, Zone 9B (maybe 10A)
    • View Profile
    • NBAtipoff
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2019, 01:48:17 PM »
I once got the chance to try this variety in Florida in 2016. Believe they were grown in Bokeelia, don't have info on the farm. They were the best lychees I've ever tried!

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 12:09:29 PM »
So Cal Update:

my graft of No Mai Tze is growing very well, it appears to be aggressive grower, and it holds fruits very well. Although my grafts are young, I am very happy to report that this variety may be better suited for So Cal. I have it on both longan and hakip rootstocks.

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 12:20:21 PM »
So Cal Update:

my graft of No Mai Tze is growing very well, it appears to be aggressive grower, and it holds fruits very well. Although my grafts are young, I am very happy to report that this variety may be better suited for So Cal. I have it on both longan and hakip rootstocks.

Nice Behl. 
Brad Spaugh

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »
So Cal Update:

Awesome Behl, thanks for the update!
- Mark

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 01:49:47 PM »
So Cal Update:

No Mai Tsze is a slow grower, even in China. The mature trees are only 1/3 to 2/3 the size of other varieties. My NMT air layer is growing agonizingly slow. Behl, you might be onto something grafting it onto Longan if you are getting vigorous growth. Please post a picture of the fruit once it matures. The fruit has a distinct look to it. It’s kind of pebbly skinned.

Simon

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2019, 02:03:03 PM »
So Cal Update:

No Mai Tsze is a slow grower, even in China. The mature trees are only 1/3 to 2/3 the size of other varieties. My NMT air layer is growing agonizingly slow. Behl, you might be onto something grafting it onto Longan if you are getting vigorous growth. Please post a picture of the fruit once it matures. The fruit has a distinct look to it. It’s kind of pebbly skinned.

Simon

will do Simon. grafts on Halkip lychee rootstock are slower in growth, while on longan are matching pace with sweet heart. it will b interesting to see how they perform going forward. Source of these wood was hawaii USDA so chances of it being real are quite high.

starch

• Chandler, AZ. zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »
So Cal Update:

Simon

will do Simon. grafts on Halkip lychee rootstock are slower in growth, while on longan are matching pace with sweet heart. it will b interesting to see how they perform going forward. Source of these wood was hawaii USDA so chances of it being real are quite high.

Behl, which accession id for the No Mai Tsze did you get from Hawaii? Looks like they have several (HLIT # 19, 20, 23, 59 and 85)
- Mark

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2019, 04:21:14 PM »
I got the ones that were donated from China, I got two of them. They also had No Mai Tze # 2 and I got that as well

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2019, 02:52:11 AM »
So Cal Update:

Behl, can you explain please how did you graft it? I just planted few weeks ago a longan side by side with my Salathiel because this one is having really bad chlorosis whereas Kaimana has just a little and FZS not at all. Your experience with NMT give me hopes that using longan as rootstock will fix the chlorosis problem in my Salathiel and also make it grow faster. Thanks.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2019, 10:54:58 AM »
its a simple graft like every other graft you do. I have done veneer, cleft, on both green and mature wood, although hardened green wood has gotten better results. Also timing is perfect for grafting even now.

Somehow I have cocktail lychee on longan and lychee Rootstock, it may be tough nut to crack but somehow I got good success. I have
No Mai tze
Sweetheart
Peerless
Kwa Luk
Mai pink

All on hakip tree

Below are NMZ and sweetheart. The biggest is sweetheart. Notice these are holding fruits

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 11:06:45 AM by behlgarden »

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2019, 12:15:12 PM »
its a simple graft like every other graft you do. I have done veneer, cleft, on both green and mature wood, although hardened green wood has gotten better results. Also timing is perfect for grafting even now.

Somehow I have cocktail lychee on longan and lychee Rootstock, it may be tough nut to crack but somehow I got good success. I have
No Mai tze
Sweetheart
Peerless
Kwa Luk
Mai pink

All on hakip tree

Below are NMZ and sweetheart. The biggest is sweetheart. Notice these are holding fruits

Damn Behl that's good stuff did you graft it on new growth? also which varity was longan?   

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2019, 12:18:54 PM »
"Damn Behl that's good stuff did you graft it on new growth? also which varity was longan?"

its a sucker of known longan variety which was removed by previous owner, I have been trying to kill this sucker for 3 years, until last year I decided to graft onto this fighting seedling. it worked.

Jose Spain

• Marbella, Spain. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2019, 02:30:48 AM »

No Mai tze
Sweetheart
Peerless
Kwa Luk
Mai pink

All on hakip tree

Thanks for the answer and the pics Behl, I also have a Kway May Pink so I will use both as rootstock and see if I can get my Salathiel to take on them and save it, chlorosis hit it really badly this spring, I added son sulfur and quelates of Fe, but the problem although in a lesser level, persists. Last year it was a happy tree that even produces its first fruits (delicious) but my water is way too alkaline for it. Salathiel seems to have inherited its sensitivity at high pH from No Mai Tsze (if I remember right is a seedingl from this variety), let's see if it also inherited the good affinity with longan as rootstock.

Thanks again for the useful info  ;)

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »
Behl, congratulations.  That is quite an achievement getting that many rare Lychee varieties to grow on one tree.  It is nice to hear that someone in SoCal is growing Kwa Luk.  I had two very small airlayers of Kwa Luk that died.

Bill

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2019, 01:33:13 PM »
Hi Behl, did you get the fruit of NMZ to mature?  If so how did it taste and did you get any pictures?

Thanks
Bill

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2019, 01:39:41 PM »
I got fruit on hakip and sweetheart, 1 ea. NMZ did not bloom .

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2019, 05:06:53 PM »
Its name means glutinous rice cake and they are a 'colder' variety than most but one of the best to eat.Unfortunately they are an irregular bearer. There are 2 forms, standard and late and the late is sometimes called salathiel.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2019, 05:15:03 PM »
They are becoming less popular and less common here so maybe that is a wider trend. Just in case you missed the erdon lee pic I posted in another thread have a look at this as I think they will be common in the future.

A friend grew these at mission beach and that is a few in my hand from last December.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2019, 05:57:53 PM »
That looks awesome Mike! I hope we can get that variety here soon.

Simon