Author Topic: Is this grafting tool good for mango grafting ?  (Read 1744 times)

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
Is this grafting tool good for mango grafting ?
« on: May 25, 2019, 02:38:06 PM »
Hello ,

Just saw this on eBay looks like a clean v cut , do you think it will work for Mangoes .

The cutting depth is 2cm is that enuff?

Thanks Ed

https://www.ebay.com/itm/UK-Professional-Metal-V-Cut-Tree-Grafting-Knife-Tool-Pruner-Scissors-Shear-Tools/264304877223?hash=item3d89cc5ea7:g:oQMAAOSw6SpbdTQc

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 03:18:03 PM by edzone9 »
Zone 10

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
Re: Is this grafting tool good for mango grafting ?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:25:21 PM »
I had 100% success using that tool. Front graft is Sweet Tart and back is Dwarf Hawaiian. I am planning to graft 1 more variety but haven't decided which one yet. Buddy tape and keeping the rootstock in a popup greenhouse (>60 F nighttime temp) helped. I bought mine on Amazon.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:18:47 PM »
Thank you ! I just bought it also n Amazon will get here Monday !

Thank you !
Zone 10

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 06:01:47 PM »
You are welcome, I also taped the V-union with electrical tape over buddy tape to secure the joint for first 4 weeks.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 10:02:38 PM »
That’s a very good idea ! I was thinking the same with the electrical tape
Zone 10

carcarlo

• USA Florida Tampa
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 02:00:45 PM »
Hawk, how thick of cuttings are you using it on?? 
My preference when using Buddy Tape is that I don't like to wrap the union with any other tape that does not let the union breath like Buddy Tape does, I usually use a piece of Ph. wire or a clothes pin to keep it tight. IT WORKS FOR ME!!!  AND THEN AGAIN DO WHAT WORKS FOR U!

Ed let us know how that tool works, I have looked at it several times, but  it seem to me that the 13/16'' +- would not be long enough

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 02:02:58 PM by carcarlo »

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 02:10:59 PM »
I will document the process and results if only they make that tool to cut 1” in depth !

It will arrive tomorrow and I have a prepared sweet tart scion ready to Graft Onto my Francis Hargrave Top Work tree project .

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 02:20:56 PM »
Use a box cutter and make 2-3 inch cuts. 
Brad Spaugh

hawkfish007

• Highland, CA, 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »
Hawk, how thick of cuttings are you using it on?? 
My preference when using Buddy Tape is that I don't like to wrap the union with any other tape that does not let the union breath like Buddy Tape does, I usually use a piece of Ph. wire or a clothes pin to keep it tight. IT WORKS FOR ME!!!  AND THEN AGAIN DO WHAT WORKS FOR U!

Ed let us know how that tool works, I have looked at it several times, but  it seem to me that the 13/16'' +- would not be long enough

Scions were about 5/16"-3/8" from tropical acres. Electrical tape just over the union for uniform pressure worked for me. I take it off after 2-4 weeks and it peels off easily with the buddy tape leaving the union unscratched.

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 06:05:53 PM »
I can’t wait to try it !

I’m not good cutting the wedge by hand like you guys ! ..

I’m going To video my process and result ..

Thanks again will use the electrical tape ..
Zone 10

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 08:19:34 PM »
You can always practice cutting wedges with random pieces of scions you have laying around. I used to be absolutely horrible at cutting wedges but I got better with practice. That tool looks like it may be what you need but the length of the cut is small so the cuts the tool makes on scions will only be useful for cleft grafts. The angle of the cut will be too wide for bark grafts, side clefts and veneers.

If you will be grafting more in the future, grafting by hand and blade is a great skill to have. There have been many situations where I had to adapt on the fly because the scion was too short, too thin, too thick, there was a node, I messed up the original cut and a numerous many examples where a grafting tool would not have enabled me to successfully graft with the scion I had.

If the blade on your new grafting tool gets dull or gummed up by sap, the cut to the scion or rootstock may not be clean and you may have to trim off some cambium that tore. Just something to consider once the tool has been used multiple times and starts getting dull.

Sorry to pull your thread off topic but grafting is a great skill to have and it’s very rewarding. Sounds like the tool has worked for others and I hope it works equally as well for you.

Simon

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 08:24:36 PM »
Thanks Simon I will definitely practice my grafting by hand ! I want to get good at it , just curious on the tool , I will report ..

Thanks again Ed
Zone 10

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk