Author Topic: Successfull zone pushing examples  (Read 3034 times)

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
Successfull zone pushing examples
« on: October 18, 2019, 07:38:14 PM »
Lets hear of somme of the most unusual,successfull and also non successfull ,zone pushing examples.
I figgure out this might be an interesting read.

Ñot only about fruit trees but also otther edibles,perenials and even non fruiting plants.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2019, 07:40:38 PM by SeaWalnut »

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
Re: Successfull zone pushing examples
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2019, 08:06:41 AM »
I planted moringa on the South side of my house and it freezes to the ground every winter. Same for a white sapote. I had a tropical guava in my front yard with a bunch of tree cover and the same thing happened to it until a bad frost that killed it. Those are my primary zone pushing failures! D

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2019, 03:16:32 AM »
I planted moringa on the South side of my house and it freezes to the ground every winter. Same for a white sapote. I had a tropical guava in my front yard with a bunch of tree cover and the same thing happened to it until a bad frost that killed it. Those are my primary zone pushing failures! D

On what temps does white sapote start to show damage from cold?

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2019, 07:37:02 AM »
This one is damaged at about 0c. It has been exposed to about -4 or -5c and always regrown, although never set fruit. D

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 09:07:27 AM »
wow survival at that low temps sounds really amazing!!! i hope if its still alive to fruit soon!

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2019, 12:27:36 PM »
I have miracle fruit Fruiting in 9b, moringa is growing like a weed in my yard.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2019, 03:41:47 PM »
This one is damaged at about 0c. It has been exposed to about -4 or -5c and always regrown, although never set fruit. D

What is your zone? 8b? I hear white sapote does totally fine in 9b.

Mike T

• Zone 12a
  • Cairns,Nth Qld, Australia
    • Zone 12a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2019, 09:14:20 PM »
Florda prince peaches sometimes fruit in Cairns at 17s latitude and a very tropical climate a bit like US zone 12.Im not a fan of the zone classification. Anyway it is about 2000km closer to the equator than they would prefer.

Benoit30

• France (Nîmes) zone 9
    • View Profile
    • Acclimatons
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2019, 08:40:18 AM »
I'm in USDA zone 9a. In February 2018, we had very cold temperature. In my garden, about -9°C. Sapote Blanco ( Casimiroa edulis) survived, the young and tender leaves drop, but the trees recover well during the summer.
Tamarillo (Solanum betaceum) all aerial parts were damaged, but also recover well. Some avocado tree dies, but not all ! Citrus were fine.
Acclimating white sapote, avocado, mango, cherimoya in marginal zone 9 climate. https://acclimatons.com/

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2019, 01:29:41 PM »
Im growing a Miracle Berry in Texas.. and it grows like crazy. 

im having problems with it..  but not from its desire to grow. we are having nights that are dipping into the 50's and its still making berry buds.
the leaves are too lime green though. and the baby fruits are dropping.

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2019, 02:52:42 PM »
My miracle berry is fruiting and flowering like crazy too... we've been below 50 at night a few times this year and it doesn't seem to mind yet.

Bartacomus

• SE Texas, zone 9a, close to the coast. acidic clays, hot.. both dry and humid, rare freezes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »
you think it likes the cold? i keep bringing it in during the 50's nights trying to squeak one last crop out of them.

theres a good point to remember about tropics. they arent always hot, they are just the same temp all year.  as an example, i tried to grow Yoco once, and it was more cold delicate than theobroma.. but, it didnt like anything but 80's. Thats not hot at all to me.

Organic Cavalry

• Claremont
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2019, 09:58:12 PM »
Certainly flowers more in the high 80s days 50s nights

Pokeweed

• Houston TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 07:31:06 AM »
K-rimes, The part of Houston I live in is 9a. Mostly because of all the concrete etc retaining heat. My lot is covered in large trees. Difficult to get sunlight to anything, but also moderates the summer heat, so I guess my whole yard is pushing the zone..... D
« Last Edit: October 24, 2019, 07:49:32 AM by Pokeweed »

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 08:37:35 AM »
In 9b and I have in ground All-spice for 7 years or so and an African Sausage tree that's 12-14 feet tall. Plus the usual zone pushing stuff like mangos and Ice Cream bean.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
In 9b and I have in ground All-spice for 7 years or so and an African Sausage tree that's 12-14 feet tall. Plus the usual zone pushing stuff like mangos and Ice Cream bean.

Wow, good to know about mango there. Are you protecting it at all in the winter?

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2019, 02:52:39 PM »
I’ve got mangoes, papaya, Jamaican cherry, pineapples, Barbados cherry, avocados, guavas in Fresno ca 9b.

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »
I’ve got mangoes, papaya, Jamaican cherry, pineapples, Barbados cherry, avocados, guavas in Fresno ca 9b.

Do you protect any of them for winter?

DSotM

• Fresno, ca 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2019, 05:24:03 PM »
I protected everything last year with frost cloth. No damage at 28f

Tropheus76

• East Orlando 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 07:57:08 AM »

Wow, good to know about mango there. Are you protecting it at all in the winter?

I will mound mulch around the base fairly thickly in December and when very cold weather is predicted I will push it against the trunk as high as I can. I will throw a sheet over it and hope it protects the leaves. I also try to get them to grow as thick and bushy as possible at the expense of height. Theres nothing I can do for the sausage tree and I do nothing for the All-spice.

C24mccain

• Lakeland Florida zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2019, 09:14:29 PM »
I'm in Lakeland Florida zone 9b. I have many kinds of fruit trees but the one I'm zone pushing the most is my seedling Jackfruit. It will be three years old in March if it survives this winter. It is approximately 20' tall. I have an overhead shower for freeze protection. Last year we had no freezes so I didn't get to test it out but I'm ok with that. In January of 2018 we had a couple bad freezes but the tree was about 5' so I built a shelter around it and used 250 watt heat lamp to protect it. We saw 25* that winter.

The strangest thing I've seen was my hasya sapodilla survive 25* with no protection at all. It never even had a single leaf damaged. This is documented on video. I suspect it may be related to the tree growing extremely slow and was in a very dormant state. The tree is still not growing well although it did better in this third year than in previous two years. My alano and makok are growing much faster than it.

Most of my trees are getting some good size to them so this I don't plan on protecting anything unless we get under 29. The exception to this is my Jackfruit which I will protect if we get below freezing.

Failures: Thai giant Indian jujube was killed by the freeze at 25*. Rootstock sprouted and has grown but I need to get some scions to graft on to it.

Various mango seedlings were killed that winter. A Kari starfruit was killed that winter but another survived and has grown alot and fruits continuously. Lost a kohola longan that winter.

I'm sure I could say more but that's enough for now.

Bartacomus

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2019, 07:44:55 AM »
It's hard to know what's going to happen with cold. We just dipped to 27 one night last week. My garden some plants were dead by morning, some still green. Right next to each other. (Lost my sword bean, peppers and giant klip dagga).

Iy threw a sheet over the papaya and naranjilla yearlings. Both did fine. Moringa. Even half of my alba moo. Flower survived.

I put the rest in the garage

In regard to miracle berry and cold, I'm growing a variety that came from north Georgia and it fruits for him when it got cold. A north Georgians idea of cold at that.  Not our idea of cold.