Author Topic: Yang mei growth and bud swelling  (Read 3787 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Yang mei growth and bud swelling
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2022, 10:19:57 AM »
You can wrap the whole tree in parafilm or Buddytape except the area next to the soil. I would leave 1-2 inches away from the soil that is not covered because the skin/bark can wick moisture and you don’t want moisture getting under the film.

Also, before you wrap, make sure the scions/branches are dry. If you wrap moist branches, you can get mold unless you treated with a fungicide.

If you do wrap most of your tree, you have to keep an eye out for mold beneath the parafilm or Buddytape.

Simon

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2022, 12:24:48 PM »
You can wrap the whole tree in parafilm or Buddytape except the area next to the soil. I would leave 1-2 inches away from the soil that is not covered because the skin/bark can wick moisture and you don’t want moisture getting under the film.

Also, before you wrap, make sure the scions/branches are dry. If you wrap moist branches, you can get mold unless you treated with a fungicide.

If you do wrap most of your tree, you have to keep an eye out for mold beneath the parafilm or Buddytape.

Simon
So,
The tape keeps the moisture in until the buds swell? Did you keep yours in a humidity tent or just in a humid area?

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2022, 10:42:23 PM »
The tape prevents desiccation or drying up while the tree recovers. I have many trees and have used tape but now I use a greenhouse or tent with a humidifier to control the humidity.

Simon

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2022, 08:58:36 AM »
The tape prevents desiccation or drying up while the tree recovers. I have many trees and have used tape but now I use a greenhouse or tent with a humidifier to control the humidity.

Simon
Does your light recommendation vary for either situation i.e. with tape in a tent or greenhouse? For example in a grow tent the light can be controlled very precisely and so can the humidity but in a clear plastic bag tent it would be somewhat different. The light in a grow tent might have a drying effect because of airflow whereas a plastic bag  might not.
BTW
I appreciate you letting me pick your brain.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2022, 09:10:45 AM by CarolinaZone »

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2022, 11:00:11 AM »
A THANK YOU when people share their time and experience sure does go along way...THANK YOU again Simon for all the invaluable information :)

For people who haven’t learned to say please and thank you, check out this video, it’s what I play for my 2 and 4 year old  ::)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zXIxDoCRc84&vl=en
Nate

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2022, 11:27:01 AM »

Simon
Does your light recommendation vary for either situation i.e. with tape in a tent or greenhouse? For example in a grow tent the light can be controlled very precisely and so can the humidity but in a clear plastic bag tent it would be somewhat different. The light in a grow tent might have a drying effect because of airflow whereas a plastic bag  might not.
BTW

I would say if you can get good humidity control a moderate amount of light and ambient heat will be helpful to the plant. My intention is to run a humidifier in a grow tent with a very low exhaust fan setting to keep all the moisture inside the tent. I can get it up to 70-80% RH with just one humidifier. My thoughts are to run 18hr at 50% on a single 240w array.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2022, 10:17:11 PM »

Simon
BTW

Since we are talking about bare root trees with no leaves, I would either turn the light super low or completely off until there are leaves. If in a greenhouse, same thing, I would keep it out of direct sun. A shade house will be better for stabilizing bare root Yangmei trees.

Simon

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2022, 10:30:54 PM »

I got 3 to survive so far.  The are BiQi, Dong Kui, and Late Growing.  Biqi seems to be the fastest grower.  I used buddy tape to wrap the branches and put them in a 1 gallon pot.  I placed them indoor by a window.  Every day or so, I misted them with water. 

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2022, 07:43:35 PM »
Great info everyone. Thank you.  Whta soild media did you use JT?

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2022, 10:30:17 AM »
3 out of 8 grafted I did are putting out.

whats my screen size

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2022, 11:16:26 AM »
Some pictures of my trees from Jan Bill's ordered.

whats my screen size

Jeramyl SoCal

• USA, CA/So CA, San Diego, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 12:44:02 PM »
Thanks to all for taking time to post the updates.  It is nice to see already that the wintertime order is having such great success.  It really looks like once healed and properly rooted, these things are going to take off.  We will be seeing them all over in the years ahead. 

Can't wait for the new order to arrive and get started!

CarolinaZone

• USA,NC,7B
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2022, 06:32:21 PM »
3 out of 8 grafted I did are putting out.

whats my screen size
Thanks for the pics. What was your media again? Are those slow release pellets? It looks like you have some branches completely wrapped and some with just the tips.

Putting out?  :o Ok, maybe it's my age. I used to take girls on dates hoping they would "put out". Never thought about plants though. ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: March 03, 2022, 04:04:37 AM by CarolinaZone »

pinkturtle

• LA county, CA Zone 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2022, 09:53:04 PM »
Lol, cel phone auto fill up.

Those are slow release pellets, Osmocote.

I cut the branches wrapped the tips to preserve more energy to develop the root, then I grafted the cuttings to the rootstock.

I used miracle potting soil and added some peat moss, perlite and vermiculite.  covered them with a plastic bags with couple holes on it for control moisture.  Put them shaded area and moved them into the garage when temperature below 40.

They are in the area with morning sun and shaded during the afternoon right now
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 09:58:12 PM by pinkturtle »

jtnguyen333

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2022, 10:33:35 PM »
Hi..I used a soil that is 1/3 sand, 1/3 peat, and 1/3 perlite.
Great info everyone. Thank you.  Whta soild media did you use JT?

Tustinfruitnerd

• Tustin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2022, 11:55:48 PM »
Thank you for all the information. It will help many of us for this round.