Author Topic: Melanopsidium nigrum Colla, New Rare Brazilian Rubiacea. Update Infos  (Read 3001 times)

nelesedulis

• I want to increase my collection of fruit trees!
    • Carangola, Minas Gerais Brazil
    • View Profile
Hello friends,

Today I received seeds of an interesting plant native to the Restingas of Brazil, Melanopsidium nigrum Colla, a rubiacea, visually very similar to Albertia Edulis (Puruí), shrubs between 2 and 3 in height, yellow fruits and sweet taste, and I believe that Can make all the recipes we make with Genipa Americana (genipapo), but the fruit is sweet. The fruits are similar to a pitangtuba.

I believe it is a toning fruit, and by its discretion, it can be grown in pots, I have 3 seedlings in cultivation with 1 year of age and 1 m, not feeling at all the winter here on the farm.

The trees in the restinga, are restricted to a small area that will soon be dismantled to build a port. Brazil has an incredible biodiversity, and we always have new species unique and endemic to share and preserve!

To friends who are interested in seeds, please send me pm.

Alexandre

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 08:14:24 PM by nelesedulis »
Facebook
Alexandre Neles
Seeking information and new techniques, friendships are always welcome!

nelesedulis

• View Profile
Re: Melanopsidium nigrum Colla, New Rare Brazilian Rubiacea.
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »
I posted in the wrong place, I'll post in the seed area the sale.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

nelesedulis

• View Profile
Re: Melanopsidium nigrum Colla, New Rare Brazilian Rubiacea.Update
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 08:13:07 PM »
Hello

Updating information about this species last year I planted seeds and made some seedlings and at 18 months they already defined fruits, and really are male (white and grouped flowers) and female (yellow flowers).

I believe to be an ideal Rubiacea for pots and small spaces.

The seeds that I sent in August have already sprouted here on the farm, please update me on the germination, who bought my seeds Obviously.

Thank you

Facebook
Alexandre Neles

sytanta

• Ho Chi Minh, Vietnam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 08:36:55 PM »

Very nice trees Alexandre! Would love to know about other members' process on this "Melanopsidium nigrum Colla".

nelesedulis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 09:31:56 PM »

Yes, I would also like to know, it is a tree in critical danger of extinction, will make a port in the place where we collect, then it may be that in a few years it adds up!

Very nice trees Alexandre! Would love to know about other members' process on this "Melanopsidium nigrum Colla".
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
Re: Melanopsidium nigrum Colla, New Rare Brazilian Rubiacea. Update Infos
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 09:29:56 AM »
Alexandre: the seeds I got from you are already germinated and about 1" high; I'm looking forward to flowers in 18 months as you say! Thanks. F.
Federico
Homestead, FL

Heinrich

• Bavaria, zone 6
    • View Profile
Melanopsidium nigrum seed tray.

Today, I have potted my Melanopsidium nigrum seedlings. On my place, it is more or less cold for half of the year. Therefore, the plants are not expected to flower within the next 3 years. Alexandre, thank you for the seeds. 90 % germination.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
Great work sharing the seeds Alexandre and to everyone getting them going!

nelesedulis

• View Profile
Heinrichi thank you for the photos, great job!
It's really a very rare species, and the spot on the edge of the beach where they were will be built a condominium, so they will remove the vegetation.

Unfortunately, the customs laws of Brazil have changed, and are not allowing the shipment of seeds abroad, so it will be more difficult to grow these species outside Brazil, or else we will need to create new methods of sending seeds.

Who bought Brazilian seeds made a good deal, because via mail, it will be very difficult to send.

Wilder species, such as some that I have offered in the TFF, will be more difficult to work on, because researching, traveling, exploring the forest, and even collecting partners, are no longer interested in looking for something in the forest, they will not be worth far too much. sending 2 or 3 seeds to pass through the customs, it will be a risk for the country to lose many species, but finally, they are things of government and they always think they are right.

Alexandre

Melanopsidium nigrum seed tray.

Today, I have potted my Melanopsidium nigrum seedlings. On my place, it is more or less cold for half of the year. Therefore, the plants are not expected to flower within the next 3 years. Alexandre, thank you for the seeds. 90 % germination.
Facebook
Alexandre Neles

Canvo

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Melanopsidium nigrum Colla, New Rare Brazilian Rubiacea. Update Infos
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2023, 09:17:56 PM »
I know this is a very old thread but i have seedlings of this and am interested to hear thoughts on how the fruit is. I have tried one fruit only and it was very unpleasant but it’s possible the timing was out