Author Topic: Mango in North Florida?  (Read 9189 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Mango in North Florida?
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:40:53 AM »
I am considering buying a grafted tree at Fairchild this weekend to keep in the Lake Mary area.  I will not be around to tend to this tree.  It will be re-potted in a cloth pot, probably 25 gallon.  I do have someone who will water it but I am not expecting them to move it around at the threat of frost.  So, questions:

Should I be concerned about frost killing this tree?
Should I pot this up in a 7 gallon cloth pot for a few months or longer to make it easier to move?
If so, how long until I move up to 25 gallon?
Any other suggestions?

Berto

• Southwest Florida
  • Ready to learn!
    • View Profile
Re: Mango in North Florida?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:12:59 AM »
- Yes
- Yes
- Mango trees are repotted as they grow.  There is no set time frame, they grow at different rates, too many variables. Besides   water, a potted tree will need food (fertilizer) also, in order to grow.
- Yes, I suggest you move to south Florida and take care of your mango tree!    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  just a joke!!!!  Good Luck!

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 11:27:21 AM »
Duly noted.  I did not pay too much attention to the other trees available at Fairchild given I cannot bring them to Bermuda.  Can anyone suggest another tree that may have that will be less of a risk?

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 11:51:23 AM »
I did not see in your post which variety you are planning to get.

If your going to zone push a mango tree, you will need to have some input.

get a dwarf variety like the Pickering, keep it small, and don't use an over sized pot.

It will definitely need to be moved indoors on cold snaps.  do you have a green house?
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 12:39:53 PM »
I have no clue on variety and I know not what will be on sale and further, know not which will work better in North Florida.  So yes, I am open to suggestion.  Will secure a 7 gallon cloth pot for whatever I get for now.  I won't be around much so pruning will happen, when I next see the tree selected.  Per my prior post, I am open to non-mango tree suggestions....?

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2012, 09:05:00 PM »
Could always go with a peach. They grow like weeds. Tropic Beauty, tropic snow, and a few others would do well with no care aside from pruning. Only problem I have with the peaches is fruit flies getting to the fruit.

DuncanYoung

• Eating Edward Mangos for over 67 years!
    • USA, Florida, West Palm Beach, 33405, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 09:45:46 PM »
Your mango left outside in North Florida will definitely freeze during the first season.  They must be brought inside during the freezing time.  Can be brought out again when passes.  A lot of work, but can be done.  I currently have 25 varieties in containers, but all are brought in during the freezes.  Best of luck

Jack

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:26:43 AM »
Thanks.  Potted mangoes brought in every year?

For peaches, I bagged the this year to good effect.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 07:56:31 AM »
As to peaches, Tropic Snow is a white peach, much milder flavor.  There is also Florida Belle and Florida Glow.  You could also do plums, pears or nectarines if you want to keep it in that "family" (but no need to get this at Fairchild).  Stay away from apples as they will require a lot of spraying).

Mangoes will require a lot of work and care from whoever is watching it (as will most plants since it will be kept in a pot).  Since it will be overseen by a caregiver, I would not go with cloth pots but that is just my 2 pennies on that subject (stick to a black plastic nursery pot).

Other possibilities: persimmon, blueberry, pomegranate,citrus...
- Rob

Jsvand5

• Ocala FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:09:23 AM »
Thanks.  Potted mangoes brought in every year?

For peaches, I bagged the this year to good effect.

What did you use to bag them? I tried to bag this year but they still managed to get a lot of fruit.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 03:25:41 PM »
J: Do a search on organza bags.  Get at least 3 inch by 5 inch ones.

BSB: noted...I will see what is on offer.  If mango is not realistic then perhaps I should just go to nurseries in the area as well.

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 10:21:16 AM »
Persimmon it is.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk