Author Topic: Wanted: Star Fruit (Carambola) fruit  (Read 4210 times)

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Wanted: Star Fruit (Carambola) fruit
« on: May 30, 2013, 05:08:00 PM »
Have posted this same issue before on a different site and didn't get any answers. So i'm going to resort to begging now :-[  I wanted to try fresh star fruit before I decide to buy a tree to grow. I've only tried store bought ones that weren't very good. I don't want to base my whole judgement on only one bad experience, so what i'm asking is, if any fellow members have a tree of good tasting fruits that have loads and loads of fruits that they can't eat all and can spare to send me some to try I would be most appreciative. If you have several different cultivar, you can send a few samples of each one would be great too. I'll pay postage. And if they aren't in season yet, I can wait for them if someone is willing to send me some. Looking forward to hearing from you guys.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 08:53:46 PM by murahilin »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
Re: Is star fruit in season yet?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2013, 11:35:39 PM »
My starfruit--first year, first crop-- ripened in the fall.  Then the tree went dormant during the winter and looked half-dead.  Finally in the early spring it went crazy with new growth and tripled in density of branches.  No blossoms yet, though.  The variety I have is Sri Kembangan, and I'm 100% satisfied with it.  I'd say it's better than Kari, which I grew in the past.  The flavor is sweet, juicy and refreshing, and citrus-y.  Starfruit trees are prolific producers.
John

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 01:47:10 AM »
Thanks for giving your insight on your tree variety. I will take that into consideration when I'm deciding which one to get. Hopefully some other members pop in to give their opinion. I've read that star fruit is such a heavy bearer, that the limbs will sometime break. would you say Sri is self fertile or it probably got cross pollinate by neighboring trees?

CoPlantNut

• USA, Longmont, Colorado: Zone 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 01:58:29 AM »
Thanks for giving your insight on your tree variety. I will take that into consideration when I'm deciding which one to get. Hopefully some other members pop in to give their opinion. I've read that star fruit is such a heavy bearer, that the limbs will sometime break. would you say Sri is self fertile or it probably got cross pollinate by neighboring trees?

I can say that Sri Kembangan is self-fertile; it may or may not be as self-fertile as others, but I've fruited it in my basement under lights with no possible access to any other carambola's pollen.  Research has shown that many Carambola trees produce much more if there's another variety available, so it wouldn't hurt to have another variety, but it is certainly possible to get fruit from a single Sri Kembangan.

Kevin

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2013, 03:40:37 AM »

I can say that Sri Kembangan is self-fertile; it may or may not be as self-fertile as others, but I've fruited it in my basement under lights with no possible access to any other carambola's pollen.  Research has shown that many Carambola trees produce much more if there's another variety available, so it wouldn't hurt to have another variety, but it is certainly possible to get fruit from a single Sri Kembangan.

Kevin

Thanks Kevin, that helps in making some decisions. I guess it's like a blueberry plant that can fruit by it self, but with another to cross pollinate will set more fruits.

Oceanlife772

• USA, FL/SE, Vero Beach, WPB
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Star Fruit (Carambola) fruit
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2013, 11:24:39 PM »
Hi There:  My mother has a tree that is over 25 years old.  That thing gives the Largest Fruitstar--Nothing like what you see at the stores.  The sad thing about is that No One eats. They usually end up rotting away.  I'd be more than happy to let you have a basket of them :). But it is not in season rightnow.  Give me you email address and I will contact you when in season.  If you know of anyone who will share their lychee fruit, please let me know.  I LOVE LOVE Lychess.  I bought a big tree 3 years ago, I only got 10 lychees :(.

Take Care
Teresa  West Palm Beach

thao

• WI zone 5b
    • View Profile
Re: Wanted: Star Fruit (Carambola) fruit
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2013, 12:37:54 AM »
Hi There:  My mother has a tree that is over 25 years old.  That thing gives the Largest Fruitstar--Nothing like what you see at the stores.  The sad thing about is that No One eats. They usually end up rotting away.  I'd be more than happy to let you have a basket of them :). But it is not in season rightnow.  Give me you email address and I will contact you when in season.  If you know of anyone who will share their lychee fruit, please let me know.  I LOVE LOVE Lychess.  I bought a big tree 3 years ago, I only got 10 lychees :(.

Take Care
Teresa  West Palm Beach

Sure, I would appreciate that very much. I just order some lychee from one of the members from here, that just shipped today, will probably be here by Thursday or Friday. There are two people selling some right now on this forum. Check the buy, sell, trade thread and look through the first and second page. There's this guy
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5809.0

and the guy I bought from is this guy name Alex(squam265)
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=5276.0

I'll message you my email, really appreciate your generous offer.

thanks
Seng