Author Topic: BreadFruit-Artocarpus altilis  (Read 4083 times)

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
BreadFruit-Artocarpus altilis
« on: March 14, 2012, 06:03:20 AM »
Hi :),
Here's a PDF Doc. on Breadfruit!
http://agroforestry.net/scps/Breadfruit_specialty_crop.pdf

Distribution, Environmantal Preferences and Tolerances, Growth and Development, Agroforestry and Environmental services, Propagation and Cultivation...

Enjoy ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
Re: BreadFruit-Artocarpus altilis
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 12:09:44 PM »
Here's another PDF Doc. on the Breadfruit!

http://agroforestry.net/tti/A.altilis-breadfruit.pdf

Enjoy ;D ;D ;D
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 07:07:41 AM »
Breadfruit-A Tree of Importance to Hawaii
Breadfruit-A Tree of Importance to Hawaii
Time is like a river.

Adacaosky

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 11:01:14 AM »
YUM!!! I love breadfruit! Contrary to popular opinion of the uninitiated, certain cultivars of breadfruit are quite delicious! The seedless variety commonly found growing in the jungles of Guam get sweet and fragrant when ripe. We call them "lemai." I enjoy them by cooking them when they are just barely starting to ripen. A common way to cook them on the island is to roast a semi-ripe fruit whole over an open fire until the skin is charred on all sides. It is then cooled off and peeled, revealing dull yellow flesh that is moist and tender--similar to a dense baked potato. It tastes like a sweet, dense cake with notes of vanilla and smoke. Delicious! Some may think that the smokey note would throw it all off, but many newbies say that it does blend in with the overall flavours. It sounds weird but that's as good as I can describe the local variety grown here. I understand that almost all varieties taste different from others and have their own specific cooking/eating attributes which make them more or less desirable. I'll take a breadfruit over plain rice, noodles/pasta, and potatoes any day! On another note, my breadfruit trees are barely over a foot tall. I started them by placing about 15 1-ft. long root cuttings placed in a shallow cut 55 gallon drum covered with moist potting soil. They took about 2 months to sprout out of the soil. I then added organic fertilizer to help them along. As of right now, I think I have around 10 sprouts total. I'll have a forest in no time!

Chris
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 11:04:08 AM by Adacaosky »
✌🏽

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2012, 12:50:21 PM »
YUM!!! I love breadfruit! Contrary to popular opinion of the uninitiated, certain cultivars of breadfruit are quite delicious! The seedless variety commonly found growing in the jungles of Guam get sweet and fragrant when ripe. We call them "lemai." I enjoy them by cooking them when they are just barely starting to ripen. A common way to cook them on the island is to roast a semi-ripe fruit whole over an open fire until the skin is charred on all sides. It is then cooled off and peeled, revealing dull yellow flesh that is moist and tender--similar to a dense baked potato. It tastes like a sweet, dense cake with notes of vanilla and smoke. Delicious! Some may think that the smokey note would throw it all off, but many newbies say that it does blend in with the overall flavours. It sounds weird but that's as good as I can describe the local variety grown here. I understand that almost all varieties taste different from others and have their own specific cooking/eating attributes which make them more or less desirable. I'll take a breadfruit over plain rice, noodles/pasta, and potatoes any day! On another note, my breadfruit trees are barely over a foot tall. I started them by placing about 15 1-ft. long root cuttings placed in a shallow cut 55 gallon drum covered with moist potting soil. They took about 2 months to sprout out of the soil. I then added organic fertilizer to help them along. As of right now, I think I have around 10 sprouts total. I'll have a forest in no time!

Chris

Hi Chris,
Breadfruit(the tree of life) ;) is truly an extrodinary tree and very versitile in the kitchen ;D ;D ;D I luv the smokey flavor in foods I occassionaly roast potatoes and sweet potatoes with the barbeque. If only my climate was a bit ''hotter'' I would definitely pop one of these trees in the ground :) we can't have everything in life.

Great to hear that your are growing this fantasic tree :)...With your climate...you will have a forest in no time. Good luck with them ;)
Time is like a river.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2012, 10:16:48 PM »
HI Steven, thanks for posting that video, very nice and encapsulates well the mission to repopularize ulu (breadfruit) in Hawaii.
Oscar

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2012, 02:30:11 PM »
HI Steven, thanks for posting that video, very nice and encapsulates well the mission to repopularize ulu (breadfruit) in Hawaii.

Hi Oscar,

Your welcome :)
Time is like a river.

HMHausman

• Mod Emeritus
    • USA, Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida, Zone 10B
    • View Profile
    • Pines Ticket Defense, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2012, 08:28:49 PM »
A common way to cook them on the island is to roast a semi-ripe fruit whole over an open fire until the skin is charred on all sides. It is then cooled off and peeled, revealing dull yellow flesh that is moist and tender--similar to a dense baked potato. It tastes like a sweet, dense cake with notes of vanilla and smoke. Delicious!
Chris

Wow, Chris....your desription makes me want to run out and try to get some breadfruit to try to grow it here.  You really made my mouth water!

Harry
Harry
Fort Lauderdale, FL 
USA