Author Topic: Loquat Cultivars/Varieties  (Read 2470 times)

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • USA, AL, Silverhill, 8B
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
Loquat Cultivars/Varieties
« on: March 29, 2020, 12:41:41 AM »
UPDATE: Varieties Mentioned (Scions currently grafted on new seedling)

Advance
Aiden
Argelino
Avri     (Grafted)
Champagne
Chinadoll
Christmas
Ed's Delight     (Grafted)
Golden Nugget     (Grafted)
Harvest
Big Jim (Grafted)
Kanko
Mizuho
Nagasakiwase
Novak
Oliver
Peluche     (Grafted)
Puppelo
Sherry
Strawberry
Sugarcane (Grafted)
Sunset
Tori
Viking     (Grafted)
Vista White
Wolfe
Please recommend more

So, years ago I created a cocktail loquat on a very vigorous seedling standing at a respectable 18 inches tall.

By the time it reached about 6 feet, I had integrated 9 specific loquat varieties onto its trunk from scions I collected, which now make up all of its lower branches.

The upper branches, now far beyond reach, are all the seedling's branches. The stock tree later became dubbed the 'Viking.'

Anyhow, that isn't the point of this thread. 

I am about to start the project over again with another extremely vigorous seedling from the Viking pollinated by Peluche. This time, however, I plan to cocktail it with 25 or more top loquat varieties.

This time, I really want to go all out. Please help me create this project by recommending as many of the top varieties available. I will do my best to acquire the scions of the few I don't already have. I will obviously have my own varieties on this specimen.

Pretty sure I can fit a good 25+ if it gets to the size of the former. Who knows, maybe even the seedling will taste as good as the former.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:30:37 AM by Viking Guy »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
Re: Loquat Cultivars/Varieties
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 01:05:07 AM »
I've only tried what's wild in my area and some commercially grown ones in Japan, as well as some local selections.

I really liked Mizuho, a Japanese cultivar that leans towards the white type. It's spherical and when thinned to one per branch about 2.75" diameter. It's sweet with a mild acidity.

I also really like Chinadoll, a pure white selection from Jim Nietzel with a superior flavor and texture.

Probably my favorite is the ever-common Big Jim, which is the other well-known selection from Jim's yard. It's orange and pear shaped, and though it's not the sweetest, it makes up for it with consistent production and quality and good flavor.

It really depends on what characteristics you are seeking though, as well as how you intend to manage the tree.

I wrote the above with fresh eating in mind.

I'm also interested in that blueberry topic you wrote some time ago.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 01:20:47 AM »
I've only tried what's wild in my area and some commercially grown ones in Japan, as well as some local selections.

I really liked Mizuho, a Japanese cultivar that leans towards the white type. It's spherical and when thinned to one per branch about 2.75" diameter. It's sweet with a mild acidity.

I also really like Chinadoll, a pure white selection from Jim Nietzel with a superior flavor and texture.

Probably my favorite is the ever-common Big Jim, which is the other well-known selection from Jim's yard. It's orange and pear shaped, and though it's not the sweetest, it makes up for it with consistent production and quality and good flavor.

It really depends on what characteristics you are seeking though, as well as how you intend to manage the tree.

I wrote the above with fresh eating in mind.

I'm also interested in that blueberry topic you wrote some time ago.

I'll be interested primarily in variety rather than personal interest. I am actually making this ultimately for a large group of people who fell in love with the former loquat and work in a facility near it. They all seem to like different ones on the other tree.

Just want to make sure I go for the better varieties while adding as many as possible.

You mentioned:
Chinadoll
Mizuho
Big Jim

The list has started. :)

I'll have to update the blueberry thing a little later.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:32:49 AM by Viking Guy »

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 02:49:16 PM »
Peluche fruit is huge this year.

Some of the grafts rose far out of reach, lol.  Glad I had put the better ones closer to the ground.

Grabbed some Avri, Vista White, Wolfe and Peluche.

beicadad

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 02:39:01 PM »
Following. How does Avri compare with others?

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2020, 03:11:37 PM »
has anyone tasted nagasakiwase loquat? a have read pretty good descriptions

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2020, 06:36:12 PM »
I have a grafted Christmas loquat but havent gotten fruit yet.  Is it any good?  Ive never tasted loquat.

Ken Bee

• San Diego County
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2020, 01:29:59 AM »
Where could we buy/trade loquat scions like Chinadoll, Mizuho, and others?

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2020, 02:32:39 AM »

I am working on the above. I have a source in Japan, but it can be hard to get things across.
As far as the Chinadoll is concerned, I believe I can find it locally.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2020, 12:04:35 AM »
Following. How does Avri compare with others?

Avri was really, really sweet this year.  Novak was really good as well.

joeventra1

• Australia, NSW, Green valley
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2020, 03:19:01 AM »

I have, here in Australia it's actually a pretty easy one to obtain. The fruits are sweet and have great flavor and generally can give 2 lots of fruit at different times of the year, usually being late autumn and spring.

giorgosgr

• Greece, Attica 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2020, 12:18:07 PM »

I have, here in Australia it's actually a pretty easy one to obtain. The fruits are sweet and have great flavor and generally can give 2 lots of fruit at different times of the year, usually being late autumn and spring.

Thank you very much for the info! are there any other varieties that produce two crops per year?

Ken Bee

• San Diego County
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2020, 11:07:40 PM »

I am working on the above. I have a source in Japan, but it can be hard to get things across.

I received a scion as "Jim's Big White".  Do you know much about this variety?  Any chance that it is actually the Chinadoll?

I am willing to help you sourcing from Japan.  It would be great if we can get some of the top Japanese varieties into the States. 

Back to the original topic.  I have heard very good things about Tori and Vista White.

Bush2Beach

• Santa Cruz, California Sunset Zone 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2020, 11:19:29 PM »
Chinadoll is different from big white.

Argelino makes 2 crops a year May and August and some in between so maybe just 1 long crop if you want to look at it that way.

Viking Guy

• AKME Gardens
    • View Profile
    • AKME Gardens Website
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2020, 11:02:14 AM »

I received a scion as "Jim's Big White".  Do you know much about this variety?  Any chance that it is actually the Chinadoll?

I am willing to help you sourcing from Japan.  It would be great if we can get some of the top Japanese varieties into the States. 

Back to the original topic.  I have heard very good things about Tori and Vista White.

I'd definitely like to collect varieties from around the world. My friends in India have been very helpful in our trades acquiring some very rare items and getting them to me in the states, and vica versa.

I currently have around a couple dozen loquat varieties, but since I have confirmed the growth patterns of those varieties I wasn't formerly familiar with, I certainly want to take cocktails to the next level.

I would even go as far as to create trees for folks if they want them.  I create cocktails with everything--even roses--as many here I am sure do.

:)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2020, 03:36:12 AM by Viking Guy »