Author Topic: Top tier selections of Opuntia sp. Waiting list. Please post under here for add.  (Read 32649 times)

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Hello my friend! Can i be added to your list? Thank you!  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
The offer is still valid on Torrance PCH#1, however I am waiting for more pads to developed. The PARL and others are to low on pads to offer anytime this year. Torrance PCH#1 may have extra pads when I check FL plant in 2 weeks.

My CA plants are tapped out atm, will have pads next year here. I may also have seeds soon available from Torrance PCH#1.

Here is some more info on Torrance PCH#1

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3935.0
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:44:46 AM by nullzero »
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Likewise
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
The offer is still valid on Torrance PCH#1, however I am waiting for more pads to developed. The PARL and others are to low on pads to offer anytime this year. Torrance PCH#1 may have extra pads when I check FL plant in 2 weeks.

My CA plants are tapped out atm, will have pads next year here. I may also have seeds soon available from Torrance PCH#1.

Here is some more info on Torrance PCH#1

http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=3935.0
Hello my friend! can i have one of this Torrance PCH#1? Thank's!

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Thank you for your replay.

I'm interested in these......
- Opuntia sp.: Cerritos #2
- Opuntia sp: Visalia Yellow
- Opuntia sp: Torrance PCH#1
- Opuntia sp. Jeronimo M.V.

So, you're expecting to have more pods (all of them??) at the beginning of 2015 , Correct ?.
Moh'd

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Thank you for your replay.

I'm interested in these......
- Opuntia sp.: Cerritos #2
- Opuntia sp: Visalia Yellow
- Opuntia sp: Torrance PCH#1
- Opuntia sp. Jeronimo M.V.

So, you're expecting to have more pods (all of them??) at the beginning of 2015 , Correct ?.

Visalia Yellow, is still pretty small last time I checked the FL house. It may have only 2 extra pads, I really neglected it and left it in a 3 gal fabric container on top of paver brick. No added water or attention really for the last year, and yet it still thrives and pushes new pads :). I plan to up step it to a larger fabric container, so should have at least 1-2 pads by summer 2015.

Jeronimo M.V., I have pads of these now. So this is not a problem. Torrance PCH#1, this will have to wait till spring 2015 or possibly summer 2015. Cerritos #2, I have to check on status of it.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
Null, could you add me for pch #1?
Shane

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Due to high demand, going to have to limit to 1 pad of each Opuntia sp. selection. Cost will be $5 for a pad + shipping costs. I can't give any confirmation atm of how many of each pads are available. I can't expect any pads until spring into summer of next year. I practically been slowing down my plants due to taking as many pads almost exclusively sharing with friends etc.

EvilFruit

• Dubai, UAE
    • View Profile
Do you also have dragon fruit cuttings ?.

I'm interested in these cultivars.

"Condor
Bien Hoa Red
Pink Panther
Yellow Dragon
Zamorano
Gold Dragon
Halley’s Comet"
Moh'd

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Do you also have dragon fruit cuttings ?.

I'm interested in these cultivars.

"Condor
Bien Hoa Red
Pink Panther
Yellow Dragon
Zamorano
Gold Dragon
Halley’s Comet"

Halley's Comet and Zamorano I may have.

Luisport

• Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile
Null you receive a PM!  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
All those that have PMed me or posted under this thread I have added you under the list. I will give updates later this month on more concrete availability. Not taking anymore orders for now (until the current orders are met).

MassSpectrum

• Tampa, FL, USA Zone 9B/10A
    • View Profile
After a brutal scorchingly dry summer at this spot, and then several instenseweeks of... I'm finally about done with my total live plant op system reboot+expand.

Ready to get trading and everything again...

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Mass,

I will add you onto the list, I recall you wanting Torrance PCH#1.

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
I've decided to change my PM from before:
PARL 244
Visalia Yellow
Jeronimo M.V. OR 'Cerritos #2'

I decided to change because everyone was in line for Torrance PCH# :D

Questions
How long did PARL 244 take to fruit?
What are 'Peruvian Yellow' and 'Mexican Sweet' like?  :P
How is 'Cerritos #2' doing?

NathanC

• USDA 9b - Phoenix, Arizona
    • View Profile
Well, PARL 244 OR Torrance PCH#1  ;D

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
I checked out the FL pad, no new pads developed  :'(. I think its slow to grow because of the non mulched/cleared area around the in ground pads. I have since taken it out of the ground and now have it container. As for the pads over here of Torrance PCH#1.

I will be testing out cutting up the pad with 1 grow point on each, then dipping the cuttings in sulfur and rooting hormone a few days later. End result will be more plants with from 1 pad. However the plants will be smaller and should be pushed alone with some mild applications of fertilizer to speed things up. I think this is the only way I can meet all the orders before fall of next year. I don't have a massive in ground plant atm to take ample pads from :(.

Bruh

• Hawaii
    • View Profile
Not sure if the offers in this thread are still good to go, but I'd love to get a pad of Torrance PCH#1 and PARL 244

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Null, would you say that Torrance PCH is one of the best tasting varieties in your collection?

Simon

fsanchez2002

• FedHomestead
    • Homestead, FL
    • View Profile
Please add me to the list, I would love to get more opuntias. Thanks. F.
Federico
Homestead, FL

gunnar429

• View Profile
Please add me to the list.  I presently only have st. ynez and would love to add move opuntias to the collection
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Here are some more collections I just recently sampled and got some pads of;

Redondo Beach orange#1 , this was growing in a vacant lot. It had a sweet honey taste, low seed count, and small seeds. I think its pretty good especially for processing, I mixed it with plain yogurt (was really good like that).

PV Spineless #3 (name for now). This was the best tasting of the bunch and was large beautiful looking fruit. It was the sweetest and had a nice firm texture with a strong watermelon like flavor. Seed count was average with average size of seeds. Me and my friend both agreed this was the best overall of the bunch.

I had one more selection sample, but I think it was average so I am not going to include for now.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:33:52 AM by nullzero »

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Null, would you say that Torrance PCH is one of the best tasting varieties in your collection?

Simon

I would say Torrance PCH is in the top 5. It has a great watermelon flavor, I would really need to do blind tastings with a few people to gauge how it would compare. The overall size, taste, texture, and seed size/count make it a top tier fruit. If you only wanted 1 Opuntia ficus-indica I would say it would be a solid choice. PARL 244 is really good though as well. Its tough though, I would need to do a tasting sometime in the future.

Prickly pears range in taste from Honey/Banana flavor to Raspberry sour flavor, with a lot representing a similar taste to melon and watermelon like flavors.

TheWaterbug

• Palos Verdes, CA, Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783'
    • View Profile

Simon

I would say Torrance PCH is in the top 5. It has a great watermelon flavor, I would really need to do blind tastings with a few people to gauge how it would compare. The overall size, taste, texture, and seed size/count make it a top tier fruit. If you only wanted 1 Opuntia ficus-indica I would say it would be a solid choice. PARL 244 is really good though as well. Its tough though, I would need to do a tasting sometime in the future.

Prickly pears range in taste from Honey/Banana flavor to Raspberry sour flavor, with a lot representing a similar taste to melon and watermelon like flavors.

Did you obtain Torrance PCH from publicly available sources (e.g. a vacant lot)? Or did you cultivate it yourself? I work in Torrance, not far from PCH :D so I'd be interested in a drive-by if you could share the location. I'm interested in getting some red-fleshed Opuntias if they taste good.
Sunset 23/USDA 11a, Elev. 783', Frost free since 8,000 BC. Plagued by squirrels, gophers, and peafowl, but coming to terms with it!

gunnar429

• View Profile

Simon

interested in both of these whenever you have them available. 
Thanks
~Jeff