Author Topic: Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) Thread  (Read 51190 times)

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Maypop (Passiflora incarnata) Thread
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2018, 08:56:41 AM »
Nice looking, familyJ!
 Is that a hybrid? That looks almost exactly like my Iridescence and Casanova vines .....
Yes this is a hybrid i have 4 different hybrids i am currently growing and then the 2 normal's with one red fruit and the normal yellow

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2018, 08:57:21 AM »

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2018, 08:58:20 AM »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2018, 10:58:39 AM »
Nice looking, familyJ!
 Is that a hybrid? That looks almost exactly like my Iridescence and Casanova vines .....
Yes this is a hybrid i have 4 different hybrids i am currently growing and then the 2 normal's with one red fruit and the normal yellow
Cool! I have all green or yellowish green fruits. I hear P. caerulea has orange/red fruits when ripe but I believe they’re inferior to incarnata.

I’ve been mourning the last couple days because one of my mature vines with several fruits seems to suddenly be dead - fruits and leaves shriveling up as if the vine had been cut. However, no sign of damage that I can find.

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2018, 06:35:53 PM »
Nice looking, familyJ!
Cool! I have all green or yellowish green fruits. I hear P. caerulea has orange/red fruits when ripe but I believe they’re inferior to incarnata.

I’ve been mourning the last couple days because one of my mature vines with several fruits seems to suddenly be dead - fruits and leaves shriveling up as if the vine had been cut. However, no sign of damage that I can find.
The problem i have is the yellow variety needs to be sprayed with BT often or i always lose them

ThangBom321

• TX Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 29, 2018, 02:09:52 AM »
How big or mature do these vines need to be before they produce fruit? I bought a small vine from the nursery about 2 or 3 months ago. I have replanted it into a bigger and deeper pot. The pot is a little bigger than a 6gal paint bucket. It has grown 2x longer/bigger. The main stalk is about 1/2'' think.

Thanks

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 29, 2018, 02:52:58 PM »
How big or mature do these vines need to be before they produce fruit? I bought a small vine from the nursery about 2 or 3 months ago. I have replanted it into a bigger and deeper pot. The pot is a little bigger than a 6gal paint bucket. It has grown 2x longer/bigger. The main stalk is about 1/2'' think.

Thanks

In my experience, there is no maturity requirement - they fruit for me in first season from seed.
Not really a magic size in my experience either. I think the plant just has to be happy, and that means as much sun as you can possibly give it (6 hours minimum), proper water levels (I think drier is better) and adequate nutrition. I have come to conclusion that they don’t like chemical fertilizers. I have had best luck with fish emulsion or organic granulated like Holly Tone. I have also had limited success with pots. I have had fruit on potted vines but they much prefer being in the ground.
Out of all that I think sun is the most important.
Also you may have a risk of too much pot. They don’t need that much room at a young age. You also run greater risk of overwatering and root rot. I’ve  had flowers on vines in 4 inch pots. I think constricted roots may actually promote flowering but not sure.
Good luck!
« Last Edit: July 29, 2018, 02:56:29 PM by Triloba Tracker »

FamilyJ

• South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 31, 2018, 12:23:08 PM »

Thanks

In my experience, there is no maturity requirement - they fruit for me in first season from seed.
Not really a magic size in my experience either. I think the plant just has to be happy, and that means as much sun as you can possibly give it (6 hours minimum), proper water levels (I think drier is better) and adequate nutrition. I have come to conclusion that they don’t like chemical fertilizers. I have had best luck with fish emulsion or organic granulated like Holly Tone. I have also had limited success with pots. I have had fruit on potted vines but they much prefer being in the ground.
Out of all that I think sun is the most important.
Also you may have a risk of too much pot. They don’t need that much room at a young age. You also run greater risk of overwatering and root rot. I’ve  had flowers on vines in 4 inch pots. I think constricted roots may actually promote flowering but not sure.
Good luck!
From my experince in growing about 7 different kinds that can be true to some of them but other varieties need that extra care

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 11, 2018, 09:14:01 AM »
Mine tastes like pineapple and banana. More sweet than P. edulis.

I got to taste one fruit from my vine, I got seeds from gooner 2-3 years ago from his wild collected fruits. And it does taste like pineapple(less banana) or maybe a virgin pinacolada with little drop of acidity so very nice to eat out of hand! no need to add sugar or honey, but my vines are small so maybe later the sweetness will be higher.. Sorry forgot to take a photo..
Daniel

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #134 on: September 14, 2018, 10:29:43 AM »
Mine tastes like pineapple and banana. More sweet than P. edulis.

I got to taste one fruit from my vine, I got seeds from gooner 2-3 years ago from his wild collected fruits. And it does taste like pineapple(less banana) or maybe a virgin pinacolada with little drop of acidity so very nice to eat out of hand! no need to add sugar or honey, but my vines are small so maybe later the sweetness will be higher.. Sorry forgot to take a photo..

That's awesome! so exciting to taste something for the first time, especially when you grow it yourself.
I can see the pineapple a little bit. The flavor for me is hard to describe. I just noticed a little banana myself, actually, in one of my vine's fruits this year. Particularly the aroma, more than the taste.
I feel like there's an orange juice (i.e. out of a bottle) taste aspect.

As for fruit quality changing or variation. This has been my experience so far in a few years growing these: the first one or two fruits a vine produces each year are usually not very tasty. After that, the flavor improves during the season. Toward the end of the season the fruit quality can decline a bit too. Drier fruits perhaps but maybe not as sweet.
I also feel like the fruit should drop on its own and if found very soon, is best enjoyed about a day later. Fresh off the ground is good too though. after a couple days, the flavor declines and begins to take on a savory aspect.
Also, there is variation in flavor and sweetness across genotypes, as with most/all fruiting plants. I have grown many of my own seedlings and they do have different characteristics. I had one this year whose fruits were completely sour. Every one. So, that vine was killed-off  ;D

Addendum - Fruit size and shape, not surprisingly, are also variable across genotypes. Fruit can be spherical, ovoid, or even pointed at the base. Some of my vines can produce nearly tennis-ball sized fruit and others are like ping-pong balls (though the latter are hybrid vines).
« Last Edit: September 14, 2018, 11:35:03 AM by Triloba Tracker »

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 30, 2018, 04:03:53 PM »
My maypop has started dropping its fruit. The fruit on the ground had alread passed maturity. To my disappointment, many were completely hollow. But also the ones that contain pulp are not completely filled with pulp/seeds.

This is a fruit I picked from the vine. The taste was pleasant, tart and sweet.

Would planting an additional plant improve fruit set and quality?

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 30, 2018, 04:24:08 PM »
I assume you already have at least one other Passiflora,or you wouldn’t have had fruit at all?
I believe to have good fruit set and fruits that aren’t hollow, you need multiple vines of different genotypes.
You can also hand-pollinate to increase pulp in the fruits.

It appears from the picture that the fruit was not quite ready. When fully ripe most pulp will have at least some yellow coloration, and the seed sacs will be softer.

I believe the only time fruit should be picked is if it has a clear fruity aroma. Otherwise it’s too soon. I let mine drop always but I have a fence to keep our animals.

Very excited for you though! Thank you for sharing. Were these your first fruits?

Florian

• Solothurn, Switzerland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2018, 06:53:46 AM »
Yes, these were my first fruits and no, I only have one plant but with various vines. There appear to be some (partially) self-fertile strains. Check out the cultivar known among the French as "Loryane" for example (I am yet to find seeds of this one).

The seeds/pulp from the fruits on the ground were yellowish but the thing is that I thought the taste was a bit off.. like they were overripe. That's why I picked one that was still on the vine. And as I said, many were hollow.

I am excited nonetheless. Passion fruit and Switzerland aren't two words that usually go toghether.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2018, 09:35:25 AM »
I am excited nonetheless. Passion fruit and Switzerland aren't two words that usually go toghether.

Absolutely!! That’s how I feel about growing them here - the only way I can get passion fruit in a reasonable fashion. (Even though maypop is native here, most people don’t know about it.)

Congrats on your first fruits. Yes - After a couple or 3 days the fruit begins tasting off. Tropical hybrids like Iridescence are an exception to this.

Kevin Jones

• Alabama - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 09, 2018, 10:28:38 AM »
I selected this one for outstanding blooms.
My Incarnates:

Kevin

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 09, 2018, 12:14:43 PM »
I selected this one for outstanding blooms.

Kevin

Very nice. That looks similar to my Iridescence hybrid. Do you have any hybrid Passiflora nearby?

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 12, 2019, 02:57:47 PM »
First maypop of 2019 dropped today! Woohoo  ;D

Gogu

• US, HI, Waianae 12a-12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 13, 2019, 09:12:22 AM »
When I first saw your garden tour I thought to myself "Wow those flowers look really similar to the ones on that weird vine I saw growing in the field. Maybe they're related." I didn't even know what a maypop was until I looked it up. It's crazy there's delicious native fruit growing in the wild that I've never heard of. I think I'll try cultivating them myself.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 13, 2019, 09:58:57 AM »
When I first saw your garden tour I thought to myself "Wow those flowers look really similar to the ones on that weird vine I saw growing in the field. Maybe they're related." I didn't even know what a maypop was until I looked it up. It's crazy there's delicious native fruit growing in the wild that I've never heard of. I think I'll try cultivating them myself.

Pretty awesome isn’t it?!?
To me, pawpaws and maypops go hand in hand - both are temperate versions of some pretty great tropical fruits.
It’s hard to find a ripe maypop in the wild, as most are eaten by critters. They have to drop on their own to be any good.
That’s why I have them on a fence-like trellis and surround the “drop zone” with a 2 foot fence.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #144 on: August 01, 2019, 09:59:47 AM »
Something strange is going on with my maypops this year.

Fruits are dropping about 3-4 per day, but they are dropping prematurely.

Normally by the time drug drops it’s very wonderfully aromatic and soft.

This year so far 95% are firm and not fragrant or barely so.

I’m not sure what’s going on. The only thing I’ve done differently is to not prune the vines.
It was rather rainy for June/July and has since dried up a good bit.

Really frustrating!

vnomonee

• Zone 7a northeastern NJ
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 25, 2023, 06:26:40 PM »
I pulled out all of my maypop vines. Something happened with my tongue and I now taste all of the off flavors. I tried juicing some and cannot get rid of the scent, it's the same as the unpleasant flavor if that makes sense.

The vines were becoming very invasive, a vine somehow got under the concrete path and traveled through and under the stucco on the side of the house and was pulling it off of the brick 😂

On the other hand I have 2 edulis fruit on 2 different seed grown vines that I pollinated with maypop pollen after castrating the edulis flowers. I did this cross last year but was too busy to care for the seeds, I planted them outside and nothing seems to have come back.

Shame they were the biggest size this season, but the fruit just tastes bad to me now.

If my crosses pan out I will backcross to maypop that I am going to keep in a container.

This is fruit from the plant I used so hopefully the bigger sizes is something that can be passed on.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2023, 06:25:11 PM by vnomonee »