Author Topic: Sweetest pineapple?  (Read 29939 times)

Evildeadguy

• Polk County, FL, Zone 9B
    • View Profile
Re: Sweetest pineapple?
« Reply #75 on: April 15, 2017, 08:20:24 PM »
Hi out of all the pineapple's i have tasted so far Kaua'i White Sugarloaf pineapple is the sweetest so far out of all them i have tried
Pineapples i Grow: Natal Queen

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 03, 2017, 09:40:09 AM »
The sweetest pineapple I e tasted to date is the White Sugarloaf grown in Kauai. The highest Brix reading I got from the fruit was just over 19% and the fruit is an early season fruit so the Brix will probably get higher. See this thread for more info.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=23668.msg282308;topicseen#msg282308

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »
Mexican brand pineapple call "piņa miel" is very sweet and has a very attractive bright 🔆 yellow flesh, here is available in Walmart maybe over there they also carry this one..
I've just realized that I bought the 'Pina Miel' today at the local Flea market. Didn't pay attention to the tag until now, after reading your post, Raul.

I bought some more of this Mexican pineapples. The taste is really good, pleasant sweet with a hint of sour. I like the Pina Miel a lot now.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 08, 2017, 10:38:50 AM »
Looks like it's got quite a few seeds. Would you say it's sweeter than the regular Gold supermarket varieties or are these a bit sweeter? I wish we could get a Brix reading on all the different varieties.

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 08, 2017, 10:59:16 AM »
Looks like it's got quite a few seeds. Would you say it's sweeter than the regular Gold supermarket varieties or are these a bit sweeter? I wish we could get a Brix reading on all the different varieties.

Simon

Simon, it's sweeter than the regular supermarket Gold and less acid. How do you read the Brix? I have never done it before.

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 08, 2017, 11:36:41 AM »
It has seeds cause it was grown in a place that has lots of humming birds

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 08, 2017, 12:24:58 PM »

Simon

Simon, it's sweeter than the regular supermarket Gold and less acid. How do you read the Brix? I have never done it before.

You need a refractometer which you can get on Amazon for about $30. You put about two drops of juice on the slide and look through the eyepiece to obtain your reading. It's very easy to use.

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2017, 12:50:40 PM »
I picked up this Del Monte Gold Pineapple from Target yesterday. They were just unloading it and I noticed the eyes were consistently yellow all the way up the fruit so I purchased it even though it was mostly green. This fruit was 4lbs 12oz and I didn't let it counter ripen, by this, I mean I didn't let it sit on the counter until it turned mostly yellow and smelled super fragrant like I would normally do. I did wait one day to cut into it s I was lazy yesterday.

This fruit was had a slightly sweet smell before I cut into it. The fruit was ripe and tasted really nice with a Brix of 16% at the bottom of the fruit. I didn't bother to take a reading from the top but the sugar content was definitely lower at the top of the fruit. This fruit had a nice balance of sweet and subacid.

The White Sugarloaf is still the sweetest pineapple I have tested so far.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2017, 01:46:16 PM »
I picked up this Del Monte Gold Pineapple from Target yesterday. They were just unloading it and I noticed the eyes were consistently yellow all the way up the fruit so I purchased it even though it was mostly green. This fruit was 4lbs 12oz and I didn't let it counter ripen, by this, I mean I didn't let it sit on the counter until it turned mostly yellow and smelled super fragrant like I would normally do. I did wait one day to cut into it s I was lazy yesterday.

This fruit was had a slightly sweet smell before I cut into it. The fruit was ripe and tasted really nice with a Brix of 16% at the bottom of the fruit. I didn't bother to take a reading from the top but the sugar content was definitely lower at the top of the fruit. This fruit had a nice balance of sweet and subacid.

The White Sugarloaf is still the sweetest pineapple I have tested so far.

Simon

Thanks For sharing... Before i started to grow my own pineapple  Del Monte Gold Pineapples were one of my fav. Pineapples to buy at the store

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
Hey Jimmy,
I saved the top for planting. I'm looking for Josapine because it's reported to get between 17-22% Brix. I think it may be a good variety for me to cross with White Jade or White Sugarloaf but if I can't find it, I'll probably cross the White with Queen.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 02, 2017, 02:28:43 PM »
Hey Jimmy,
I saved the top for planting. I'm looking for Josapine because it's reported to get between 17-22% Brix. I think it may be a good variety for me to cross with White Jade or White Sugarloaf but if I can't find it, I'll probably cross the White with Queen.

Simon

I'm still growing a few myself of the del monte some of them should be ready to pick in a month or so

Hopefully that book on pineapples will be of some help has alot of great info
« Last Edit: June 02, 2017, 02:45:33 PM by Evildeadguy »

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 03, 2017, 09:59:52 AM »
Just planted a DelMonte Kona Gold "twistee".  For a store bought pineapple the taste was excellent, especially the thick slices grilled with black marks and served with grilled pork chops and Pickapeppa sauce.  ;)

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 03, 2017, 11:48:53 AM »
These Del Monte Gold types taste lower acid to me compared to some other types. The Tropical Golds are also very good eating. If you guys/gals haven't tried a Cocktail pineapple(Queen) I would highly recommend it as the texture is very different, very crunchy but not fibrous and it has high acidity but also high sugar. My favorite which happens to also have the highest Brix is the White Sugarloaf so far. My friends girlfriend said the White pineapple was too sweet for her.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 03, 2017, 02:32:39 PM »
if people would like to try queen pineapples and can't find it in stores around where they live you can always
order it online from the website I'm posting below

http://www.melissas.com/South-African-Baby-Pineapples-p/1.htm

druss

• australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 04, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
Are the seeds fertile? Would be interested in trying them.

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2017, 11:36:42 PM »
Most of the better pineapples are seedless with just an occasional seed. At least the ones I have tried( not a lot).

Simon

Galka

• USA, FL, OCALA, 9A
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2017, 02:20:38 AM »
Piņa Miel is really good variety too. It doesn't burn your mouth and is sweet with less acidity.  Saved couple of tops, hope they will make it.

gnappi

• South East Florida (U.S.A) Zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2017, 09:49:59 AM »
I ate a prematurely ripe small sized fruit from my pineapple patch this morning which was from a store bought top. It was DELICIOUS, but the flavor was most intense on one end. I didn't cut it so I don't know... Which end is likely to be sweetest? The top or Bottom of the fruit?
Regards,

Gary

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 08, 2017, 03:36:49 PM »
The bottoms of the pineapples are definitely sweeter according to the Brix readings I've taken. Was your pineapple leaning over?

Simon

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 08, 2017, 03:48:45 PM »
Here is another pineapple I picked up today from Lucky Seafood. It is a Maui Gold Pineapple, grown in Maui. It weighs 2lbs 8 oz. I'll cut it open later tonight or tomorrow. I almost purchased this same fruit online several weeks ago from here https://pineapplemaui.com/pineappleshop.html

Online, it is much more expensive, about $30 per pineapple, I paid $1.79 for mine but I'm sure the online fruit is larger and perhaps higher grade. I'll give a taste and Brix report when I cut open the fruit.

This fruit has a unique convex bump on the segments that stick out more than other pineapple varieties I have seen. It kind of reminds me of El Bumpo Cherimoyas.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2017, 04:49:56 PM »
Here is another pineapple I picked up today from Lucky Seafood. It is a Maui Gold Pineapple, grown in Maui. It weighs 2lbs 8 oz. I'll cut it open later tonight or tomorrow. I almost purchased this same fruit online several weeks ago from here https://pineapplemaui.com/pineappleshop.html

Online, it is much more expensive, about $30 per pineapple, I paid $1.79 for mine but I'm sure the online fruit is larger and perhaps higher grade. I'll give a taste and Brix report when I cut open the fruit.

This fruit has a unique convex bump on the segments that stick out more than other pineapple varieties I have seen. It kind of reminds me of El Bumpo Cherimoyas.

Simon

i ordered the 6 pack of Maui Gold Pineapple from there website they were alot bigger than the ones you show in your photos this was little over a year ago i potted them and within a years time they already fruited so plant didn't get a chance to grow full size cause winter time forced them to flower to soon so maybe next time around they will get to grow bigger the plants that is lol the fruit should be ready to pick in a few months

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: June 08, 2017, 06:48:00 PM »
Jimmy, do you remember how they tasted? Did they taste a bit like a yellow fleshed white Sugarloaf? The fruit looks like a tortoise shell now that I think about it.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #97 on: June 08, 2017, 07:09:13 PM »
they had a good taste to them kinda sweet/tart kinda tatse but not as good as the White Sugarloaf.

When i got them they were alot greener than the ones you show in your photos. i wanted to regrow them to try them out again to see if i wanna keep growing them again or not for next time

simon_grow

• View Profile
« Reply #98 on: June 08, 2017, 10:42:02 PM »
I just cut open the Maui Gold and it was very bad. It was not sweet at all. It had a Brix of 13% and was very bland and had almost no pineapple flavor. To top it off the core was very fibrous so I would consider it non edible.

I'm hoping I just got a really bad fruit. I bet the fruit ordered online is much higher quality.

Simon

Evildeadguy

• View Profile
« Reply #99 on: June 09, 2017, 02:45:02 PM »
I just cut open the Maui Gold and it was very bad. It was not sweet at all. It had a Brix of 13% and was very bland and had almost no pineapple flavor. To top it off the core was very fibrous so I would consider it non edible.

I'm hoping I just got a really bad fruit. I bet the fruit ordered online is much higher quality.

Simon

That sucks you didn't like it not all pineapple will be good once you found one that taste so good its just hard to eat other pineapple anymore trying to compare it to others