Author Topic: Anyone else in FL having 2nd blooms on Mangos  (Read 2412 times)

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • US, St. Petersburg FL, 10a
    • View Profile
Anyone else in FL having 2nd blooms on Mangos
« on: March 18, 2017, 05:13:29 PM »
The mild winter with just a few short cold spells seems to have confused my mangos. My Nam Doc Mai and Pim Saen Mun are covered with decent sized mangos as well as a second large bloom.

NDM

PSM
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

Donkeys4hire

• B & B's Tropical Paradise
    • Western PSL, Florida, zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone else in FL having 2nd blooms on Mangos
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2017, 06:03:49 PM »
Same with my Southern Blush, Kent, and Carrie. Fruit and blooms

FruitFreak

• USA, FL, Naples, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2017, 08:26:23 PM »
Seems to be a common occurrence this year in collier county after the weather we've had.
- Marley

baccarat0809

• Sunny Orlando, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2017, 09:01:18 PM »
After that cold spell a few nights ago I'm not surprised.  Heck, it got down below freezing in Longwood, Florida as my two banana plants that I didn't cover were frozen in the am - and not frosted, but actually frozen. I had them next to my pool and figured the heat thrown off from the pool would have helped but nope.

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2017, 10:09:38 PM »
Below freezing in Longwood? Don't think so........38 was the lowest temp in metro Orlando.....I'm in lake Mary and it never went below 38 here....u have a thermometer?

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2017, 10:15:00 PM »
Nice Nam tree and fruit Dee....I grew one at my old house but wasn't too enthused with the fruit....at my new house I planted Fairchild, Pickering, and Honey Kiss

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2017, 10:29:38 PM »
Nice Nam tree and fruit Dee....I grew one at my old house but wasn't too enthused with the fruit....at my new house I planted Fairchild, Pickering, and Honey Kiss

Last year they were very sweet. Not quite as complex as the other mangos we have, but they still beat anything you could pick up in a store. I like having it because it produces quite a lot of fruit and they're great to give to neighbors that wouldn't really appreciate (and may not deserve) your best fruit. ;)
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

DeeMango

• I can haz a mango?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2017, 10:33:34 PM »
After that cold spell a few nights ago I'm not surprised.  Heck, it got down below freezing in Longwood, Florida as my two banana plants that I didn't cover were frozen in the am - and not frosted, but actually frozen. I had them next to my pool and figured the heat thrown off from the pool would have helped but nope.

Being on the peninsula, near the coast, protects us from freezing here in St. Pete. But it was down in the 40's the other night. However, these were already in full bloom before this last cold spell hit. We haven't had much cold weather all winter, just an occasional night in the 50's.
Dee (I can haz a) Mango

puglvr1

• USA, Central, FL xxxxx, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 08:17:03 AM »

Beautiful mango tree Dee!

GrassFlats

• Sanford Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 08:05:42 PM »
Spot on Dee.....NDM are really good but I like a more complex mango...and you are right, you can score points with the neighbors by giving them some fruit and NDM def a lot better than the store bought junk

chipboy5399

• USA, Florida, Port Orange, 9-b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2017, 11:38:15 PM »
  I have the same situation herein Daytona Beach as well as my friend in Orlando, I got  a half hearted attempt at blooming and then like a month later the whole tree busted out with another set of flowers, this happened with 2 of my trees.  My keitt  only bloomed once the first time and that was it.