Author Topic: Sending seeds/fruit  (Read 1502 times)

AndrewAZ

• Scottsdale, AZ zone 9b
    • View Profile
Sending seeds/fruit
« on: December 12, 2016, 11:49:52 PM »
I wanted to ask millet if it is legal to send seeds and fruit.  I thought I had read an article where the ban on sending seeds was lifted, as it was shown citrus greening could not be transferred through seeds. 
Also, I did not think there was ever a ban on mailing citrus fruit.  Sending fruit is actually my preferred way of sending seed.
Just wanted to be completely clear on this, so no one makes a mistake.
Andrew

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
Re: Sending seeds/fruit
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2016, 12:09:09 AM »
To my knowledge, seeds are OK, fruit is illegal. That is why when you drive to California, they stop you at the boarder and confiscate your fruit. - Millet
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 02:57:27 PM by Millet »

LaCasaVerde

• pensacola
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
I have the same question. Here is what Ive found. It depends on your State. Florida for example - it is illegal to move citrus trees and or any part of citrus trees in and out of the boarder. I called the Florida Dept of Agri and the agent when I questioned him would not confirm if seeds are exempt from this states ban. He referred me to :
"NOTE: It is unlawful to move into Florida any and all kinds of citrus trees and parts thereof except by a special permit from the division director."
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Plant-Industry/Business-Services/Summary-of-Plant-Regulations

I pointed out that seeds are not listed and he countered with the.."parts therof" includes seeds. The argument sounded weak to me so I asked him to follow up with me. He said he would this week.  It appears then if mailed for consumption (in fruit) legal- mailed for cultivation illegal. Of course this is subject to to your particular states rules and the destination states rules .  Im waiting for a call back from his superior and will ask if there is a general federal guideline we all should folow or is this all up to the individual states.

I have Dekopon seed Im wanting to mail to friends and members. Thats what got me started on this question as well.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 01:33:22 PM by LaCasaVerde »

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2016, 11:27:05 PM »
Sepends on where you are sensing to and from.

As far as Florida goes, unless you are ceetified by the State, transporting any aspect of citrus across state lines, in or out, is illegal.  It even goes as far as only certified growers are allowed to propagate it.
- Rob

Laaz

• Charleston, SC 9a
    • View Profile
    • Citrusgrowers forum
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 03:24:46 PM »
Never used to be a issue with seeds unless laws have changed.