Author Topic: What is your 2020 grafting list?  (Read 3078 times)

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
What is your 2020 grafting list?
« on: February 23, 2020, 09:12:20 AM »
This is my mango grafting list so far [Val-Carrie] [Graham] [Kesar] [Amrapali]  [M-4]
If i had room for one more tree it would be one of these [M-4 because its very late] [Super Hass early avocado to complement my Monroe] [Makok dwarf sapodilla to complement my Tikal] :)

Orange Sherbet planted August 2019
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
Re: What is your 2020 grafting list?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 05:27:55 PM »
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with Graham. Unless you have tried it already, you probably won't like the flavor. It also seems to drop a lot of its fruit before ripening.

I am planning to graft some OS, Guava, Seacrest, honey kiss, Ceci Love and M4. E4, son pari and phoenix are also a possibility.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 06:07:40 PM »
I want to graft apricot and plum hybrid( like plumcot) onto 4 old plum trees and a peach .

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 08:40:02 PM »
I am currently grafting numerous citrus and apple scions. Apples are really easy to graft with a high take rate.

In spring will graft a number of Avocado and loquat scions.

In early summer will graft many mangos including Orange Sherbet, Orange Essence, Guava, Son Pari, Butter Cream, Cac, Seacrest and a newly released zill cultivar called Raw Honey.

I purchased the Mango trees from Florida and put them in my greenhouse where they continue to grow and flush even in the winter. From these, I will use the scions to graft onto existing mango rootstock (Manila & Ataulfo) already in the ground and well established.

After I am done grafting with the Florida Turpentine trees I will sell them and just watch my newly grafted trees grow.

Johnny
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 08:43:53 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 09:13:19 PM »
Raw Honey is not a Zill cultivar, it's a Zill nursery rename.

Mando408

• San Jose, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2020, 12:49:25 AM »
I'm attempting to graft a bunch of varieties onto a Santa Rosa plum: Flavor Supreme pluot, Flavor Delight aprium, Sweet Treat pluerry, Dapple Dandy pluot, Dapple Supreme pluot, Cot N Candy aprium, and Elephant Heart plum.

Apple: Fuji Red Sport Type 2 to a Geneva rootstock.

Avocados: Sharwil, Reed, Pinkerton, Jan Boyce, Sir Prize, and Holiday onto a bunch of seedlings.

Figs: Violette de Bourdaux, Sal's (Gene), and Nero 600 (which might be the same as VdB) onto a seedling.

Hopefully most stick. I also plan on grafting some varieties that actually taste like something onto my white pitayas but I don't know when the best time to graft dragon fruit is.

Viraldonutz

• La Mesa, San Diego, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 02:55:27 AM »
I'm attempting to graft a bunch of varieties onto a Santa Rosa plum: Flavor Supreme pluot, Flavor Delight aprium, Sweet Treat pluerry, Dapple Dandy pluot, Dapple Supreme pluot, Cot N Candy aprium, and Elephant Heart plum.

Where do you get your pluot scions?
--Jake

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2020, 09:20:00 AM »
Have an eight+ years old Blue Byrd semi dwarf Plum tree blooming each spring. We have a Gage plum also nearby but unfortunately not blooming at the same time. Thinking of grafting buds or scions of Stanley and 2 others compatibles on to the Blue Byrd tree. Any suggestions? Thanks.

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2020, 10:44:13 AM »
Fun thread.

Hoping to get some pluot grafts to stick. Named black surinam cherries. Couple more Mangos like LZ.
Shane

JulianoGS

• USA, South Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2020, 11:14:22 AM »
If I were you, I wouldn't bother with Graham. Unless you have tried it already, you probably won't like the flavor. It also seems to drop a lot of its fruit before ripening.

I am planning to graft some OS, Guava, Seacrest, honey kiss, Ceci Love and M4. E4, son pari and phoenix are also a possibility.

I've read that Graham tastes great, and produces really well in Florida.

Video from TT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vy2VTo5ALI
Be very careful and mindful of what you sow, for whatever a man sows, that he will also reap.

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2020, 11:34:46 AM »
Fun thread.

Hoping to get some pluot grafts to stick. Named black surinam cherries. Couple more Mangos like LZ.

--Jake

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2020, 12:11:41 PM »
Fun thread.

Couple people on the forum hooked me up. Oolie for one. But I was late this year and they didn't take. Will try again next year and look for scions around February I guess.
Shane

bovine421

• Shake Rag Rd Fl 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2020, 04:47:41 PM »
So far i have had success with Sonpari M-4 Val-carrie hope to graft Carla and Phoenix as soon as i locate some! :) And o yes Cecilove on to my Sweet tart to hedge my bets against  warm winters

« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 04:54:46 PM by bovine421 »
Tete Nene Julie Juliet Carrie Ice Cream Coconut Cream Little Gem  Dot  Mallika PPK  OS  Pina Colada Cotton Candy Buxton Spice Karen Michelle M-4 Beverly Marc Anthony White Pirie Lychee Cherilata Plantain Barbados Cherry

spaugh

• San Diego County California
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2020, 05:07:56 PM »
Fun thread.

Couple people on the forum hooked me up. Oolie for one. But I was late this year and they didn't take. Will try again next year and look for scions around February I guess.

January

The best one is called flavor king.  Guarantee to be a hit.
Brad Spaugh

PersephonesChild

• Bakersfield, California: Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2020, 09:25:36 PM »
Fun thread.

January

Flavor King is amazing, but Flavor Grenade is equally good. Both are on my "most wanted stonefruit" list after tasting at the farmers market. DappleJack is also on that list.
Cheers-
Cris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2020, 11:20:33 PM »
Fun thread.

January

Flavor King is amazing, but Flavor Grenade is equally good. Both are on my "most wanted stonefruit" list after tasting at the farmers market. DappleJack is also on that list.

Dappledandy also amazing.  Emerald drop is good too.  I think Ive got the flavor grenade but will have to double check on that one.  I got a 4 in 1 tree from dave wilson and also a plum tree I top worked with dappledandy and flavor king and pluerries. 

Brad Spaugh

Viraldonutz

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2020, 01:48:32 AM »
January

I planted a Flavor King and Flavor Grenade both a couple months ago.  Nothing this spring, but I can't wait to try them next year.
--Jake

shaneatwell

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2020, 10:02:58 AM »
Great ideas for 2021!
Shane

Brev Grower

• Will trade mango scions
    • USA , Florida, Brevard county
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2020, 01:20:28 PM »

I've read that Graham tastes great, and produces really well in Florida.

Video from TT https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Vy2VTo5ALI

It is definitely my opinion on taste, although others seem to agree it's not the best tasting mango around. Mine does not produce very well and that could be my own cultivation practices. So it's getting top-worked to different, more interesting varieties. Honeykiss is on top of the list.

PersephonesChild

• Bakersfield, California: Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2020, 01:35:44 PM »
Fun thread.

January

Dappledandy also amazing.  Emerald drop is good too.  I think Ive got the flavor grenade but will have to double check on that one.  I got a 4 in 1 tree from dave wilson and also a plum tree I top worked with dappledandy and flavor king and pluerries.

Yes. Dappledandy is also on my list. I'm trying to get some more grafting practice so I can make a couple muli-graft trees for myself to save a bit on space.
Cheers-
Cris

spaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2020, 02:24:10 PM »
Stone fruits are the easiest thing ever to graft.  I probably did 30 this year with 100% success.  Many were sloppy rushed grafts too.  Just tie it super tight and leave it for several months.  Do it in January.  I dont even use grafting tape on many of them, just wrap the union with tree tape or flagging tape. 
Brad Spaugh

K-Rimes

• Santa Barbara
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2020, 10:03:54 AM »
This year I have grafted:

Vista white loquat onto a neighbor's big (and horrendous tasting) loquat seedling
Argelino loquat onto my seedling, not sure if it's a take (also tried to graft an amazing local tree onto it but it failed)

Zill's pitanga onto my seedlings and other trees, looks like zero success on this one

Suebelle, Lemon Gold, and nettie white sapote onto seedlings - all successful

Many branches of each Suebelle, Super Sweet, Lemon Gold, Nettie, Cuccio, Pike, Walton, Lammertz, Santa Cruz white sapote as veneer grafts onto this big white sapote I have - all successful!

Getting much better takes now after all the white sapote grafting practice.

Mandarin

• Bay Area, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2020, 08:37:08 PM »
loquat: big jim, white (not sure which variety), Avri, Sunset, Vista White and pelube onto my unknown variety seedling (6 y old)

citrus: Shiranui, Kishu, Bearss onto my other citrus trees.

cherry: on to wild hardy plum trees. they are my good inexpensive practice material. I am new to grafting.