Author Topic: Garcinia ID - intermedia vs. mangostana  (Read 2826 times)

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
Garcinia ID - intermedia vs. mangostana
« on: May 22, 2015, 01:25:54 PM »
So I planted a G. intermedia seed the year before last. Flash forward several months, it hadn't germinated, so I plopped a Purple Mangosteen seed in the same pot, and ordered an intermedia from Adam. A few months later, I got germination, but I couldn't figure out which one it was. I tried digging out the seed husk, but it was already gone. I had a couple of Mangosteen seedlings + the intermedia to compare with, and I still couldn't figure it out. I no longer have the Mangosteens (lost 'em in an ill-conceived transplantation attempt), so I'm hoping the mystery seedling is one, to complement the intermedia I already have.

So, can anyone help me ID the mystery seedling? It's the one on the right; left is G. intermedia.

They look kinda different in the pic (the mystery seedling is slightly chlorotic, and it's smaller, but that's 'cause it's younger). In person, they look very similar (but then, it also looked similar to the Mangosteens I had).
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 07:14:09 PM by Caesar »

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
Re: Garcinia ID - intermedia vs. mangostana
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 06:00:44 PM »
One on the right looks like mangosteen to me. But easiest time to tell them apart is when they flush out new leaves.
Oscar

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
How are the new leaves different? Is it the shape or the color (or both)? Do you have any pics of new leaves to compare with? I'll be taking pics of mine when they flush.

I've got these two, Achacairú, Luc's Garcinia and Sadhu's Sweet Madroño, and I can hardly tell any of them apart. If they weren't labeled, I'd be screwed.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 03:53:04 AM »
How are the new leaves different? Is it the shape or the color (or both)? Do you have any pics of new leaves to compare with? I'll be taking pics of mine when they flush.

I've got these two, Achacairú, Luc's Garcinia and Sadhu's Sweet Madroño, and I can hardly tell any of them apart. If they weren't labeled, I'd be screwed.

The mangosteen leaves are a lot rounder than intermedia. The new leaves of mangosteen have lot brighter color pinks and reds than the intermedia. Really mangosteen is quite distinct. The only garcinia that looks a lot like mangosteen is G. prainiana, cherapu or button mangosteen.
Oscar

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 11:50:03 AM »
New leaves coming in on the Mystery Mangosteen.

Nor red enough for Mangosteen? The central vein looks pretty red up close (the pics don't do it justice), but somehow I imagined Mangosteen leaves to be of a more purpleish red. Is it consistent with Mangosteen or Intermedia?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 11:52:10 AM »
really both seedlings look like intermedia, the only difference is, one is choloritic.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2015, 12:13:11 PM »
I suspected as much. At least I got the doubt out of the way. I'mma need to get me a new Mangosteen.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2015, 05:20:42 PM »
I suspected as much. At least I got the doubt out of the way. I'mma need to get me a new Mangosteen.

and maybe a bag of Sprint 330, amigo
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

Caesar

• PR
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2015, 06:56:44 PM »

True dat. Several of my trees are chlorotic, including a few of the Jabos. Is it locally available, like in Walmart or Home Depot, or do I have to search it out online?

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2015, 07:15:50 PM »

True dat. Several of my trees are chlorotic, including a few of the Jabos. Is it locally available, like in Walmart or Home Depot, or do I have to search it out online?

amazon is probably the easiest, or ebay.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com