Author Topic: Feel the Bern...I mean....burn  (Read 2534 times)

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
Feel the Bern...I mean....burn
« on: August 10, 2016, 10:45:20 AM »
My veggie/fruit garden is plagued with every kind of disease known to man, it seems.

Literally every plant I have, from tomatoes to melons, has one or more diseases. My cucurbit plants are the most affected, but really everything has something.

Things are still producing (except for several tomatoes that were felled by disease) but clearly they are not happy.

So I was thinking of burning the whole area - the beds and the "yard" around it - to hopefully knock back the disease and also the chiggers that make going back to the garden a pain in the rear, literally.

Anyone have experience with controlled yard or garden burns that can offer advice or suggestions? I've already done some research but I always like to hear from folks here.

horseshoe_bayou

• as you sow, so shall you reap.
    • U.S.A, FL, west palm beach, 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Feel the Bern...I mean....burn
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2016, 04:03:51 PM »
never done a big burn like that, but maybe a torch will help?? I got one from harbor freight that I use from time to time on weeds.http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=propane+torch
Mic

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2016, 07:02:02 PM »
never done a big burn like that, but maybe a torch will help?? I got one from harbor freight that I use from time to time on weeds.http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=propane+torch
Thanks! Yes, I have been eyeing one of those suckers too.

stuartdaly88

• Phytomaniac
  • Zone 9b/10a
    • South Africa, Gauteng
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 09:14:00 AM »
I was told you shouldnt put cigarette ash near tomato because it can spread a kind of tobacco virus this made me think that burning could spread viruses better as ash is so light?
Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet.
-Jean-Jacques Rousseau

Don

• Brisbane Australia zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2016, 05:30:32 PM »
Burn in small sections. Once you have cleared your patch it may be a wise idea to rest the beds, if you havnt got anything for the diseases to survive on they die out and then practice crop rotation. If you plant same species or similar species in the same spot season after season you will get a build up of disease in the soil. Hope this helps.

Triloba Tracker

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2016, 09:26:58 AM »
Burn in small sections. Once you have cleared your patch it may be a wise idea to rest the beds, if you havnt got anything for the diseases to survive on they die out and then practice crop rotation. If you plant same species or similar species in the same spot season after season you will get a build up of disease in the soil. Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks!!
I will definitely be rotating in the future. Also was contemplating taking next summer off too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk