Author Topic: Super Thrip?  (Read 1816 times)

awitz2001

• Rochester NY 6B
    • View Profile
Super Thrip?
« on: May 12, 2020, 02:14:12 PM »
I was able to capture a thrip last week, I thought I had eliminated them from my Meyer, but apparently was wrong. I was curious how long it took for Spinosad to work, so I placed it in a sealed baggy and gave a good spray. The thrip was completely encased in a premixed Spinosad based product droplet and eventually wiggled out. I figured 1-2 days and it would be dead...nope, 3 days later it was still walking around. So I figured it would have to be ingested. Soaked a baby lemon that had fallen off in the same product from a different bottle and put it in the baggie. Within seconds the thirp was on the lemon, I assume ingesting it and the Spinosad. 3 days have passed again and I can still follow the little bugger around with my jewelers loupe. So 6 days have passed since original exposure and 3 days since assumed ingestion. So are both bottles purchased at different stores ineffective, or is this thrip immune, or am I doing something wrong? I have neem oil on hand, but really don't care for the smell inside as its still in the 30s outside at night here.

« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 02:15:51 PM by awitz2001 »

Bomand

• LouisianaCFDFMY
    • View Profile
Re: Super Thrip?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 02:53:55 PM »
I mix my Spinosid with horticulture oil and get good results. It depends on several factors...not the least of them is "how immune. to Spinosid he is and his new tolerance to it. Temp & time of day are also factored in. This year I am only using Bayer Nd a hard spray of water every other day....So far so good.

Millet

• Colorado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
As Bomand wrote horticultural oil kills thrips, so does neem oil or even soapy water. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 09:13:33 PM by Millet »

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 04:52:37 PM »
I had similar thoughts when I doused ants in carbaryl (Sevin) powder and it didn't seem to faze them.  I stopped using it. 

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2020, 06:52:28 PM »
Well, for heavens sake, when your experiment is over, don't turn it loose. Next thing we know, a race of Super Thrips will have taken over the world...

Carolyn

sea4

• NC
    • View Profile

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk