Author Topic: Will my HomeDepot-purchased monstera deliciosa produce good fruit?  (Read 2044 times)

BonsaiBeast

• San Diego CA, USDA zone 10a, sunset zone 24
    • View Profile
    • BonsaiBeast
I bought a osntera deliciosa from home depot a year ago. Should I expect this thing to ever fruit or are there non-fruiting varieties of monstera?

Anyone have experience with this?

Daintree

• Boise, Idaho - zone 6, with a zone 12 greenhouse...
    • View Profile
Re: Will my HomeDepot-purchased monstera deliciosa produce good fruit?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 08:34:24 PM »
I bought mine from Home Depot, and it took over the greenhouse, produced dozens of fruits, and I think it may have eaten the Fuller Brush man when he came over...

Carolyn

brian

• Pennsylvania (zone 6) w/ heated greenhouse
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 10:55:00 PM »
How does it taste?  I saw a containerized one the other day at an exotic plant store with a couple "cobs".   Here it is:

I have a monstera in a container but I don't think I will be keeping it long term unless the fruit is amazing... I don't have room for it.

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 07:35:52 AM »
The fruit is amazing.
My kids really liked it too
I am in Florida

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 09:38:34 AM »
The fruit tastes like a cross between pineapple and banana. The trick is that you have to wait until the outer scales fall off before you eat the kernels underneath.  If the outer scales are just loose, and you pick them off to get to the kernels, it makes your mouth sting, like you are eating glass.  So you have to be very patient. But well worth it.

Carolyn

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 10:34:47 AM »
How long until it fruits?
Ive heard it takes verry long time to flower and fruit and then it dies.
I have one but no leaves on it at the moment.

Vernmented

• Starry Nursery/Plant Hoarder/Zone Pusher/Biochar Enthusiast
    • USA, Florida, Sarasota, 9B/10A
    • View Profile
    • Starry Nursery Instagram
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 12:07:25 PM »

They fruit here quickly and keep on pumping out fruit and growing for a long time.

How does it taste?  I saw a containerized one the other day at an exotic plant store with a couple "cobs".   Here it is:

I have a monstera in a container but I don't think I will be keeping it long term unless the fruit is amazing... I don't have room for it.

You can always just bring it in the house as a house plant since that is what most people use them for. I'm guessing it wont fruit but they a gorgeous.
-Josh

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 02:50:41 PM »

You need to really get better sources for your information.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2020, 02:52:16 PM by murahilin »

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 08:24:47 PM »
I too bought from HD two pots which had a dozen baby plants in each. I grew them out and within the 3rd year they flowered. I'm waiting till the fruits ripen they the plants can live for years. Just today I planted 20 more small ones the nice thing is they can occupy the shady places under established fruit trees and make more fruit.

SeaWalnut

• Romania zone 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 08:55:03 PM »

My source was right about Philodendron wich really takes 15-20 years to flower especially as a house plant.
The confusion comes from the fact they sell Monstera here as Philodendron ( its called wrongly split leaf Philodendron but its not a true Philodendron ).
After i read wikipedia it says Monstera also rarely flowers indoor so thats why i asked how long it takes to flower and fruit.
I have my Monstera for about 15 years ( plus who knows how old it was when i bought it) and never flowered altough all the summers stays outdoor and winters indoor.

The one i had that actually flowered and died after was probably a real Philodendron not Monstera.

EnglewoodFlorida

• Englewood, FL 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:35:24 PM »
I too bought from HD two pots which had a dozen baby plants in each. I grew them out and within the 3rd year they flowered. I'm waiting till the fruits ripen they the plants can live for years. Just today I planted 20 more small ones the nice thing is they can occupy the shady places under established fruit trees and make more fruit.

Got any babies you'd sell? I need to run down and check out a mango grove there sometime soon anyways.

pineislander

• Bokeelia, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2020, 06:54:48 AM »

Got any babies you'd sell? I need to run down and check out a mango grove there sometime soon anyways.
I have a few leftover but would rather trade please send me a PM I am currently selling mango $2/pound beginning to get Carrie, lemon Meringue, manilita, fairchild and a few others.

Daintree

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:07:21 AM »

My source was right about Philodendron wich really takes 15-20 years to flower especially as a house plant.
The confusion comes from the fact they sell Monstera here as Philodendron ( its called wrongly split leaf Philodendron but its not a true Philodendron ).
After i read wikipedia it says Monstera also rarely flowers indoor so thats why i asked how long it takes to flower and fruit.
I have my Monstera for about 15 years ( plus who knows how old it was when i bought it) and never flowered altough all the summers stays outdoor and winters indoor.

The one i had that actually flowered and died after was probably a real Philodendron not Monstera.

Seriously?
Split leaf philodendron is a common name, Monstera is the botanical name.  They are usually the same.  They rarely bloom indoors because they need high light all year round.  Some houseplant varieties are hybrids so may not bloom and fruit, but really, if yours bloomed then died, you just killed it. And if you have one now with no leaves, you have a problem.  They are evergreen and should never lose all their leaves unless you are killing that one also.
Once again, get better sources for your info. Your vast amount of misinformation seems to be a common theme...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk