Author Topic: Grafted scion turning brown  (Read 2558 times)

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
Grafted scion turning brown
« on: November 24, 2019, 04:26:20 AM »

Hi need some help. The scion appears to turn brown, about 3 weeks after the graft. Is that an indicator that the graft has failed? But there seem to be new nodes appearing.

Triphal

• US, Midatlantic, Charles Town, 6b + Lowland Tropical Zone 13
    • View Profile
Re: Grafted scion turning brown
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2019, 09:37:24 AM »
Never give up hopes as far as a plant viability is concerned more so after grafting. Even though I am not a 'grafter' myself have seen and experienced thousands grafted plants over seven (7) decades.
1. What is this plant you grafted? 2. How old the root stalk seedling is? 3. What type of grating was done? 4. When and how did you obtain the scion? 5. What kind of material you used to align and fasten the graft? 6. The plant appears to be inside a building.
By looking at the picture you provided I am tempted to say that there may be three (3) tight areas, two of them at the bottom 'Strangulating' the sap flow upwards. The other one couple inches below the tip.
Please note that I am commenting here (not as an expert) so that some experienced hobbyist or professional in this field will be encouraged to comment on it. Do not forget that plants even termed as dead, in a few months can suddenly regenerate and fool us! Have heard and seen this umpteen times! Good luck. Triphal

achetadomestica

• FLORIDA 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 11:56:59 AM »
There's nothing to do but wait now. Allot of times the scions will have some
energy reserves and it will push some new growth. Even leaves will push.
It makes you real hopeful and then it eventually collapses. I have had far more
failures then success. Keep trying is all you can do. I also watch videos and see
how easy some grafters make it look. At 3 weeks you are not out of the woods
yet. New nodes is encouraging. Don't let the scion dry out and wait.

behlgarden

• CA, Zone 10 B
    • View Profile
    • LED Bulbs for Landscape Lighting
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:48:02 PM »
classic rootstock or union failure or rejection. I have successfully harvested green portion of dying scion and grafted elsewhere and it has worked. Key is whether green portion cut above the brown part has sap flowing or not

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 11:28:10 PM »
There's nothing to do but wait now. Allot of times the scions will have some
energy reserves and it will push some new growth. Even leaves will push.
It makes you real hopeful and then it eventually collapses. I have had far more
failures then success. Keep trying is all you can do. I also watch videos and see
how easy some grafters make it look. At 3 weeks you are not out of the woods
yet. New nodes is encouraging. Don't let the scion dry out and wait.

Thank you all for the replies. The mango scions chosen were not the best as they do not have bud, but I didn't have many choices. For this particular garfting, the 1 year old rootstock pushed out suckers several times. I guess that might be an indicator that energy is not channelled to the scion.

I made use of wedge grafting using graft tape.

The bag that prevents water loss actually encouraged fungus growth. Not too sure if experts here usually cover the scion with a bag.

JakeFruit

• Mod Emeritus
  • FL Gulf Coast Fruit Lover Spam Fighter
    • zone 10A
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 02:02:52 PM »
That's usually a sure sign of doom. Only once, and it was on a large, healthy rootstock, did I manage to salvage a graft that started turning brown like that. In that case, it was the tip of the scion that showed the browning, but buds were swelling down the scion. I cut the browning area off back to healthy flesh, then immediately sealed the wound with some pruning sealer. I believe I had to repeat the process another time or two as the tip continued to die back, but the base bud finally sprung and the graft took.

Your pics show it browning at the top and the bottom, so it'd be a small miracle if it took. Like someone else said, if any of the buds look healthy, you could try to salvage them. T-budding has been fun to practice, but my success has been very meager to this point.

Orkine

• Jupiter, FL, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2019, 08:44:23 PM »
I have rescued a few with success, even more that just continued to die.
Never rescued any that browed from both ends.  I think that scion is done if left alone, may be done anyway.

By the way, I have removed 2 or 3 grafts that looked dead only to find the scion fresh and green under the buddy tape that has gone black.  In each of those cases, I had cut the graft off the plant before finding out.  Now, I don't remove the graft until I test the scion (scratch scion to see if it is still green) while still on the plant.

What variety is it and can you get a replacement?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 08:56:01 PM by Orkine »

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2019, 07:28:59 AM »
Thank you all. I managed to get my hands on this coconut cream mango scion after a long time of search. It ia not populsr in where I live. Guess I will just have to keep it and watch the scion turned bad since I have no other choices. I am wondering if it could be fungus infection, since the bag is lept on and there is considerable amount of moisture in it.

roblack

• Miami, FL 11A
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2019, 08:01:42 AM »
Wrapping it with buddy tape is the way to go. The bag did you no help.

Are you growing mango indoors?

Z070305

• Singapore
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2019, 09:37:22 AM »
Wrapping it with buddy tape is the way to go. The bag did you no help.

Are you growing mango indoors?

I wrapped the scion all the way and left only the tip for bud to grow. The bag is to reduce water loss. I am growing them outside my home  where the plants can get at least 3 hours of full sun

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk