Author Topic: Fruit stuff in San Diego?  (Read 2339 times)

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
Fruit stuff in San Diego?
« on: March 19, 2019, 05:02:48 PM »
Any interesting fruit stuff to see in the San Diego Co. area besides the botanical garden and Balboa Park area? 

Would be interested in seeing semi-edible street trees as well if interesting. 

Might have some time to burn either next Thurs or Fri.

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit stuff in San Diego?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:10:41 PM »
Exotica nursery in Vista has a fruit tasting table with whatever is in season.

You may also want to check out Ongs nursery in Linda Vista and California Tropical Fruit Nursery.

Simon

OCchris1

• Old Towne Orange, CA 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 01:13:09 AM »
Agree with Simon.
-Chris

greenbean88

• USA, Trabuco Canyon, CA, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 04:52:51 PM »
Atkins nursery is a good one to walk around
Erik

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 12:14:39 AM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I usually hit up those nurseries.  Do any of the colleges have botanical gardens with fruit stuff?

shaneatwell

• California, San Diego, sunset 23 and 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 07:14:06 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I usually hit up those nurseries.  Do any of the colleges have botanical gardens with fruit stuff?

Mira Costa college has their horticultural collection, but you're not supposed to go there outside of a class. Loquats and Natal Plum are to be found about everywhere. Evergreen Nursery on Carmel Valley road is one i like wandering around.
Shane

hellosf

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 11:06:32 PM »
230 Quail Gardens Dr, Encinitas, CA 92024 - San Diego Botantical Gardens are nice to walk around.

Oolie

• San Diego
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 01:14:33 AM »
Quail is great.

Since you asked about the colleges. I can share my experiences.

SDSU has a number of interesting rare fruit all over campus, though parking is quite a bad situation.
You can find a number of loquats fruiting there at the moment. Look by the library, and in the quad between physics and engineering.
There are other interesting fruit trees there, but they aren't fruiting at the moment. Across college, there is a allotment area/community garden, it's by parking structure 6 I believe, there are a number of fruit trees planted in the stadium conglomerate soil in that area.

You can check out Cuyamaca College in Rancho San Diego, there a local CRFG member planted fruit trees which make interesting landscape trees. They also have a great horticultural department on that campus.

Speaking of CRFG, the San Diego Chapter has its monthly meeting in Casa Del Prado Room 101 in Balboa Park next Wednesday at 7.

Balboa has plenty of interesting plants, but you have to be willing to explore to find some of the more interesting selections.

fyliu

• Burbank/Covina, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 02:45:38 AM »
Oolie, that's why Brian is going to SD, for the meeting.

UCSD had some feijoa bushes near one of the college's apartments. There's the community garden behind Che Cafe. A CRFG member and grape enthusiast helps out there. It's weird to me that he grows things in multiple gardens all around SD. Either he's retired or he somehow makes money doing that. Feels like more than a hobby to me. This place is not gated, so just find parking and walk around.

There's a fruit tree planting just outside UCSD a little ways west to south west that I heard about but never tried to find. I don't know if it's still there. Hopefully whoever told me about it wasn't talking about the Che Cafe garden.

Southwestern College also has a fruit garden that CRFG helped put in before they stopped welcoming us, just like San Diego Zoo did before. Well, they kept the plants and SD Zoo told/let us to remove the plants. I don't know if it's for the same reason. Maybe it's not as negative as I made it sound, but I don't know how to word it to sound more neutral. This place is pretty close to the border so it might be a long drive depending on where you're staying. It's gated and I don't know if it's supposed to be open on school days or what the deal is.

I've never been to the Bancroft CRFG garden that they have now. I hope they put in some cool stuff there.

BrianL

• Bay Area, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 02:57:07 PM »
Thanks everyone.  Mainly wanted to see if I can hit up any new spots. 

Any good Kaffir Plum street trees left? Especially where I could take a picture of the entire tree?  Exotica has one, but not really easy to take a photo of the tree.

I gave some odd seeds for the Bancroft Garden about two years ago.  Hopefully some survived. 

CA Hockey

• Orange, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 04:09:48 PM »
You can check out bonita creek nursery.  There are also random avocado growers in fallbrook and they might let you tour their groves (I've done this before).

I think durling nursery is in fallbrook and theyve got lots of citrus and avocado but they are more commercial- wont have many rare things

CGameProgrammer

• San Diego (10b)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 08:05:39 PM »
But avocados and citrus are not "interesting". Exotica is a great option because it's not just a nursery; they have 50+ year old fruit trees of all kinds so you get to see and sample really established and mature exotic fruit trees. Quail has fruit trees but you're not allowed to pick or eat the fruit there.

barath

• Southern California, USDA Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 11:47:52 PM »
If I remember right Clausen Nursery has an enormous white sapote tree -- probably the biggest I've seen in person -- and when I went the ground was just a carpet of fruit and on top of the fruit was a carpet of yellowjackets.