Author Topic: What's the deal with Kent?  (Read 4636 times)

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
What's the deal with Kent?
« on: April 07, 2012, 09:23:54 AM »
I love getting the kent mangoes in later season in Robert is Here but the price is ridiculous so I bought the tree. I had it for 2 1/2 on the ground, 6-7 feet tall and it's never set fruit.  But that's ok I can wait.... What's getting me frustrated is that I have to spray it sor anthracnose so often.  It is the only one of my mangoes that has this problem. Is this a normal thing for Kent? Could it be the location I planted it? 
Thanks!

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: What's the deal with Kent?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 09:35:45 AM »
It is not known for its disease resistance.  Not to say it is the most susceptible but that is not immune to it.
- Rob

Sleepdoc

• Davie, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:00:58 AM »
Robert is here prices are exorbitant. Kent on the other hand is highly susceptible to anthracnose. You have to keep them well covered in copper fungicide. My Kent is growing in a pot, last year I got two mangoes, this year none. I have seen the alternate bearing pattern with both the Kent, and the Keitt. To encourage fruiting feed it with 2-10-10 fertilizer. Find it at Lowes.

2-10-10 ?  Have not seen that.  Sounds good though ..

Squam256

• Mangos, trees and budwood for sale
    • USA, West Palm Beach, FL, 33405, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/TropicalAcresFarms
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 05:19:36 PM »
In my opinion Kent's fungus issue is not as bad as its sometimes made out to be. And the trees are pretty productive....productive enough that it is still grown on some commercial scale.

Kent's biggest "problem" is that it is a very vigorous, large growing tree in an era of increasing preference for smaller trees that are easier to manage.

Another issue with Kent can be internal breakdown as it usually ripens during the rainy season; this can be prevented in part by not allowing the fruit to ripen on the tree.

In terms of flavor though I think its pretty good. I would place it in the next tier down from the best tier. They're also decently sized and are late-er season. Not a bad choice if you have a large yard really.

SWRancher

• Merritt Island, FL Zone 9B
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 08:23:25 PM »
I have one planted because its a great tasting and productive late season variety that is ready right after Valencia Pride and just before Keitt and Neelam. 

Mfajar

• Miami, Fl
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2012, 08:26:29 PM »
Well after confirmation that it is not desease resistant I gave it a severe pug!
It is now a 3/12 feet stump, if it comes back it will be more manageable to spray, if if doesn't I'll put a more resistant mango in its place....
I'll update on results!

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »

2-10-10 ?  Have not seen that.  Sounds good though ..

Sunniland 1000 Sq. Ft. Bloom Special Fertilizer 2-10-10  Item #: 97809 |  Model #: 120146 5 lbs. $4.98

I would be worried about the middle number (10) since you might already have soil high in phosphorus.  Also, how about boosting your potassium?  For mangos, I recommend a potassium fertilizer such as 0-0-51 with no nitrogen.
Adiel

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:06 PM »
Do you use a lot of pesticides?  I have heard that if you heavily use pesticides, it will kill off the bees, so they can't pollenate your flowers and you won't have fruit.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 02:47:54 PM »
The middle number promotes bloom production.

That might be something you want to boost in your area (tampa).  I mentioned using 0-0-50 because he lives in my same area (miami) were we already have soil high in phosphorus.  We use 0-0-50 for mangos here.

Note: 0-0-50 is recommend for mangos.  Other fruit trees will have other requirements.  More info from Growing a Mango Tree from Fairchild Tropical Gardens regarding mangos and the 0-0-50 fertilizer.

4. Fertilize lightly with low analysis fertilizers. We recommend that no nitrogen fertilizers be applied. Fertilize when your tree is active. Do not fertilize during the winter time. We use a 0-0-50 formulation, sprinkled lightly below the drip-line of the canopy three times per year. Fertilize 3 times per year with foliar micronutrients that include magnesium, zinc, and manganese.
Adiel

BluePalm

• 32780 Florida, Zone 9b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2012, 10:46:11 AM »
Yeah, I never spray any of my trees when they are flowering. I will spray my mango fruit with fungicide once it has developed though. 
They're like the Varmint-Cong...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk