Author Topic: How to start Avocado seed?  (Read 4618 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
How to start Avocado seed?
« on: January 05, 2013, 07:21:11 PM »
Ok Ok, I know about the toothpick in the seed and let it sit in water for a few weeks technique.

What I would like to know is, how do nursery folk, start avocado seeds for making root stock for grafts.  I cant imagine they have hundreds of seeds with tooth picks, sitting in baby food jars.

I was hoping to get some details on the most successful way.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: How to start Avocado seed?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 07:28:12 PM »
Plant it in some soil. I used to work at a nursery that propagated thousands of avocado seedlings for rootstock yearly. They just planted the seeds in 1 gallon containers.

I wish people would stop starting them in water and then planting them out. It's a waste of time, unless you really want to see some roots growing in water. Also, an additional rant... No need to start pineapples in water either.

Patrick

• Administrator
    • USA, Palm Beach, FL 33467, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:44:34 PM »
Tapered side up, about half exposed!

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
  • www.FlyingFoxFruits.com
    • USA, FEMA Region IV, FL Zone 9a
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:46:03 PM »
clean meat off seed, let seed dry out for a few days in shade, or immediately plant in a mixture that's got good drainage and a ph close to neutral.  I plant them so they are only about half covered with soil.

place in shade or sun, and water regularly.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

https://www.ebay.com/usr/flyingfoxfruits

www.youtube.com/FlyingFoxFruits

https://www.instagram.com/flyingfoxfruits/
I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

natsgarden123

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 07:49:55 PM »
Plant it in some soil. I used to work at a nursery that propagated thousands of avocado seedlings for rootstock yearly. They just planted the seeds in 1 gallon containers.

I wish people would stop starting them in water and then planting them out. It's a waste of time, unless you really want to see some roots growing in water. Also, an additional rant... No need to start pineapples in water either.

I disagree, somewhat,  about the pineapples - rooting the top in water and then planting makes a faster growing pineapple specimen- just my experience. I have done it both ways.  Although, ultimately it may not make a difference.  For suckers, I haven't seen it make a difference.

My mom has been growing Avocado houseplants for years- it make her very happy....but for most, its a fruitless endeavor, especially when grafted trees are so easy to find and inexpensive.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 07:56:45 PM »

I disagree, somewhat,  about the pineapples - rooting the top in water and then planting makes a faster growing pineapple specimen- just my experience. I have done it both ways.  Although, ultimately it may not make a difference.  For suckers, I haven't seen it make a difference.

My mom has been growing Avocado houseplants for years- it make her very happy....but for most, its a fruitless endeavor, especially when grafted trees are so easy to find and inexpensive.

Thanks for the advice folks, and so fast!!,  yeah wanted to start some plant to have as rootstock,  I returned back to the DR with a Avocado scion, and found out, at least around here, I could not find any Avocado rootstock,  so I want to avoid this problem in the future, by starting my own, and having them available when i need them.

In the mean time my scion is still in the fridge, looks ok, but its been around 3 weeks, since it was taken off the tree.  I am heading to the country tomorrow, I should be able to get some seedling avocados there.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
clean meat off seed, let seed dry out for a few days in shade, or immediately plant in a mixture that's got good drainage and a ph close to neutral.  I plant them so they are only about half covered with soil.

It's not necessary to let the seed dry out a few days in the shade. They can be planted immediately and letting them dry out in shade may possibly be detrimental due to the recalcitrant nature of the seeds. You also do not have to leave any of the seed exposed. Removed the seed coat is helpful though.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 08:02:48 PM »

You may disagree but it does not make what you are saying any more correct. If the crown is prepared correctly there will not be a difference.

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 08:07:47 PM »
according to my friend, in Mexico they're cleaned and dried before planting.

It's not necessary to let the seed dry out a few days in the shade. They can be planted immediately and letting them dry out in shade may possibly be detrimental due to the recalcitrant nature of the seeds. You also do not have to leave any of the seed exposed. Removed the seed coat is helpful though.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

I disabled the forum's personal messaging system, please send an email to contact me, FlyingFoxFruits@gmail.com

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 08:15:06 PM »
according to my friend, in Mexico they're cleaned and dried before planting.

According to first hand knowledge and the book "Avocado: Botany, Production, and Uses" it is not necessary. The seeds are recalcitrant there is no getting around that. Why leave them out unnecessarily if you do not have to? Avocado seeds can be stored for different commercial purposes for 6months to a year in the right temps and remain viable. What you are saying though is to leave them in the shade. That is just asking for reduced viability.  http://www.amazon.com/Avocado-Botany-Production-W-Whiley/dp/0851993575

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 08:57:18 PM »
Nothing wrong with starting an avocado seed in water, ye old toothpick method. As soon as you see some sprouting action get it a pot, in soil halfway covered. Keep well watered for the first week or two

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2013, 09:40:00 PM »
I wonder why they let them dry out?
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2013, 09:50:36 PM »
I wonder why they let them dry out?

The logic here is that something stressed a bit via drying will attract water better and sprout better. Thinking survival mode. Not that this works w all seeds but if "they" say it works on a big ol avocado seed I am not going to argue

How many here know that red winter wheat is planted in the fall? Think about it. http://www.edenfoods.com/store/product_details.php?products_id=105800

FlyingFoxFruits

• Prince of Plinia
    • View Profile
    • Flying Fox Fruits
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2013, 09:53:39 PM »
thanks Zands, that makes sense.
www.FlyingFoxFruits.com

www.PLINIAS.com

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2013, 10:11:55 PM »

I was going to add this...fresh seed with "papery" coat removed.
- Rob

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »

i have lots of seedlings over a year old if you want some of them.

Tropicdude

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 01:34:34 AM »

i have lots of seedlings over a year old if you want some of them.
I am heading to Bani tomorrow, (Kings day party with family )  but if I cannot get any over there , I will contact you, I appreciate it.  thanks
William

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk