Author Topic: Lychee success in SoCal  (Read 6422 times)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Lychee success in SoCal
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2019, 03:56:53 PM »
They get overripe and around my area, the outer skin will get dark spots and the Lychee looses the Rose flavor. They can hang on the tree for some time before this happens.

Simon

Johnny Eat Fruit

• So. California, Huntington Beach. Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »
How far is the trunk of your Bruster lychee tree from the wall in your house? (Garage)

I will be planting my Bruster in the ground next spring and want to make sure I place it far enough away. Just wondering on recommended Spacing for these trees.

Beautiful Tree BestDay.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 07:59:47 PM by Johnny Eat Fruit »

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2019, 09:50:32 PM »
I have been keeping mine from 9-12’. Right now it is about 12’. I will remove the air layers soon and prune the rest of the tree. I would say 12 is a good minimum size.

Bill

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2019, 04:59:35 PM »
Too long on tree then the fruit flesh turned light brown or rust and loosing its taste.

Less fruit on such a big tree could be due to Bill's cooler coastal climate is my guess. On the opposite side I had a hard time growing a Lychee tree -- 7 years old and it was only 3 feet tall and less than 1" trunk dia, gave me about 8 fruits total in those years and finally died. I think the location was too hot and no shade for the young tree.

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2019, 03:06:36 PM »
I'm going to buy either a 3 or a 7 gallon Sweetheart Lychee this weekend from Champa Nursery in El Monte, $60 or $95 respectively. I could do another air-layer on my brother giant tree but don't want to wait. This time I will heavily add kitchen vegetable-fruit waste on top around the tree to simulate the southern China mountain condition. I have been adding kitchen waste to my mango trees and this helps to keep the soil moist and tons of earthworms.

Should I buy the 3 or the 7 gallon?

FV Fruit Freak

• USA, Southern California, Fountain Valley, 10B
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2019, 03:58:00 PM »
I'm going to buy either a 3 or a 7 gallon Sweetheart Lychee this weekend from Champa Nursery in El Monte, $60 or $95 respectively. I could do another air-layer on my brother giant tree but don't want to wait. This time I will heavily add kitchen vegetable-fruit waste on top around the tree to simulate the southern China mountain condition. I have been adding kitchen waste to my mango trees and this helps to keep the soil moist and tons of earthworms.

I’m no expert but maybe take both the 3 and the 7 gallon out of their pots and check the roots to make sure they’re not badly root bound. I’d also base my decision on overall health of the tree and shape.
Nate

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2019, 05:09:06 PM »

If you can afford it, I would definitely go for the larger tree. Normally I select smaller trees but for Lychees, I would recommend you go big, just not too big.

Most people are already aware but in case you don’t know, Sweetheart is a great fruit but production can be low.

Simon

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2019, 02:19:44 AM »
If the trees look healthy then buy the bigger one. Just be careful this time of year some people sell freshly removed air layers in pots. You want a plant that has been in the pot long enough for o root out and be happy.

As a side note I ate one of my lychees yesterday and it was delicious. Very sweet and tender. I’m going to eat one a week to get a feel for when they are at peak ripeness. Then next year I’ll have a better idea of when they are ready.

Bill

sapote

• USA, CA, Burbank, 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2019, 06:24:52 PM »
Wen to Champa nursery on Saturday and it was a very nice place with many different exotic fruit trees – they all in great shape and well cared. I bought a 7 gallon Sweet-heart and hoping the label was correct – hate to spend 3 to 4 years and find out it is Sweet heart. I took Bill’s advice on the final 2 candidates: one was taller than the other but when I dug my fingers into the soil and it just loose and falling apart while the other tree  with roots holding the soil. So the taller was recently repotted or air-layered. I took the smaller tree.

One of the best nurseries in SoCal

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2019, 12:15:40 AM »
Dang that lychee tree is beautiful! what do you fertilize it with?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2019, 10:55:53 AM »
Nothing fancy. I give it vitoro citrus fertilizer from Home Depot. It has 2-3” of bark nuggets as mulch. I know it likes that.

Bill

boxturtle

• usa, ca. garden grove Orange County
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 01:57:40 PM »
no leaf burns? how much and how often?

BestDay

• Long Beach, CA 10B 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 09:22:27 PM »
I fertilize it two or three times a year.

Bill

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk