Author Topic: Mango Terroir - The Next Frontier  (Read 1978 times)

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
Mango Terroir - The Next Frontier
« on: August 08, 2018, 07:11:03 AM »
Not a horror show.

“terroir

tɛrˈwɑː,French tɛrwar/Submit
noun
noun: terroir
the complete natural environment in which a particular wine is produced, including factors such as the soil, topography, and climate.
the characteristic taste and flavour imparted to a wine by the environment in which it is produced.
noun: goût de terroir; plural noun: goût de terroirs”

Where fruit cultivars vary widely in character and further vary widely by growing conditions, terroir is relevant. I say specifying conditions required to produced specific results - flavor, texture, sweetness etc - is the next frontier for gourmet mango growers (and other fruits).

No better place to start that among the world’s premier resource, right here.

What have you noticed makes the difference with a specific mango?  Things that can be controlled would be ideal to note.

bsbullie

• USA, Boynton Beach, FL 33472, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
Re: Mango Terroir - The Next Frontier
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2018, 07:49:26 AM »
By its own terms (and to keep it true to its definition and use), it cannot be controlled.  Its the natural environment...

- Rob

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2018, 08:16:37 AM »
Many things can be done. Here’s an older thread with some information.
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=8097.25

Maximizing the amount of sunlight your tree gets, ensuring the tree gets enough nutrients( especially potassium and calcium), and not overwatering are some of the more important factors to consider.

Simon

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2018, 08:19:47 AM »
Algae and yeast extract can also be used to increase the Brix, size and also help with Fruit retention.

http://scihub.org/ABJNA/PDF/2010/3/1-3-421-429.pdf

Simon

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2018, 09:58:17 AM »
I would agree with Rob that the true notion of terroir is that of the naturally occurring environment, but certainly there’s merit in at least attempting to document factors that can influence flavor/texture/quality.
Maybe call it something else for the sake of us purists  LOL

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2018, 12:32:24 PM »
I've always thought that if i could spread manure and seaweed under my mango trees I could improve the "terroir" for my mangos since I have sandy soil. Haven't gotten around to trying that experiment yet, but I hope to sometime in the future when I have the time and a pick-up.  The coastal breezes eliminate a lot of the problems that others have, giving me an ideal mango growing location.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:36:42 PM by johnb51 »
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2018, 12:44:19 PM »
By its own terms (and to keep it true to its definition and use), it cannot be controlled.  Its the natural environment...

Duly noted. The goal is to have reasonableness prevail.  People form part of the natural environment and through observation, experimentation and experience can modify their choices and/or environment toward specific results. I doubt any reasonable person would consider adding organic amendments, for example, as unnatural.

Cookie Monster’s observering potassium’s impact on PPK’s color and possibly sweetness was something...nothing unnatural about reasonably using this observation.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:53:10 PM by Future »

Triloba Tracker

• Psalms 104:14
    • USA, Middle Tennessee, Zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2018, 01:34:25 PM »
I think your concept here is totally valid. Go for it!

Definitely those in France growing grapes and making wine are part of and can change the environment.
There could be argument about semantics but that’s a side point and maybe sport for some of us who love arguing about words and grammar, like me  ;D
The word “natural” could be understood as “biological” or more as “native.”  The former would include intentionally humanly controlled inputs, while the latter wouldn’t really.
Lastly, I think (not a wine or French language expert) that terroir is usually used in context of unknowable/unexplainable/uncontrollable biological factors (air quality for example) that result in different wine attributes among the same wines made in different regions.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 01:40:09 PM by Triloba Tracker »

zands

• mango_zango
    • Zone 10b, Florida, USA, 33321
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2018, 03:58:30 PM »
Nothing wrong with trying to discuss terroir for mangoes. I am sure mango x grown in India will turn out different in Florida and California. But terroir will never be widely used to compare mangoes. The simple problem is that wines can be compared and discussed and given prizes because wines can be shipped. Mangoes are too perishable. Unless some organizations want to spend some millions of dollars on one day shipping across international borders to mango tasting events.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 04:06:15 PM by zands »

johnb51

• USA Deerfield Beach, FL Zone 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2018, 06:32:06 PM »
Another thing.   There's a whole lengthy process to making wine that brings out different flavors.   When it comes to fresh fruit, tree-ripened is more important than any other factor.  And secondarily, rich, fertile soil.
John

Future

• The Future
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2018, 06:00:09 PM »
One day we will have a compendium detailing specifics that modify qualities for specific mango varieties.  This will help people decide what to plant for their locale as well as what they can change about their local toward cultivar specific results they are after.