Author Topic: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Seeds Online  (Read 197284 times)

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Online Tropical Fruit Tree Seed Sources
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 10:32:09 PM »
To get your mangosteen seedling fruiting/flowering prior to celebrating its 5th anniversary of being planted out, it doesn't always take special treatment.Mine fruited at 7ft and at almost 5 years in the ground,being 1 foot when planted. It didn't get special  treatment like dry season watering and regular fertilzer until after it first fruited.Likewise a grafted durian fruited within 5 years before weather took it down.I think the prolonged heat and humidity of the local monsoon season may give them a boost.I do however have a mangosteen runt which at 5 years is heavily branched but only 4 feet and nowhere near fruiting.

I really need to get mine in the ground,  they will just not doing too well in containers.   the seedlings I have are over two years old, and they are only a foot high. but they seem to be speeding up now, I read they have a very slow beginning and speed up later.  the biggest tree I have seen here is over 12 years old and has not fruited yet !  but I think this is because its under shade, and is not fertilized or anything.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2012, 04:42:24 AM »
Some species are just hard to germinate; but how have the recalcitrant seeds been packed when you got them?

Before I was able to find live Mangosteen locally i purchased seeds on 3 different occasions from 3 different Asian sources. these seeds were all well packed, they arrived in moist peat, in zip locked bags and taped. non arrived crushed, some even sprouted on route, but not one grew. In this case I suspect it was the delay, the fastest order took around 18 days. since mangosteen can lose 75% of its viability in just 1 week, its no surprise.  in contrast, the Garcinia aristata seeds I bought from a US source, gave me like 100% germination.

Mangosteen seeds that are well packed will last several weeks, and start to germinate inside the bag. The fact that the seeds were germinated but did not sprout indicates probably temperature extremes in route that killed them. X-raying of packages doesn't happen, unless the package is suspected of containing a bomb, or such. Most postal processing centers don't even have x-ray machines. The only exception is packages going to Washington D.C. thanks to the nut case that was sending white powder to congressmen.
Oscar

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Where To Buy Tropical Fruit Seeds Online
« Reply #27 on: January 23, 2013, 03:42:38 PM »
Regarding this link,  do they sell seeds to the US, has anyone ordered from here?

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/frutasdomato.htm

I was just browsing though all the really rare stuff on that site, and came across this beauty:

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/annocorni.htm

ANNONA CORNIFOLIA

Never seen a red Annona before.

updated, this looks like the same source, correct?
http://www.bananasraras.org/frutasrarasingles/seedenglish.htm
« Last Edit: January 23, 2013, 04:16:49 PM by Tropicdude »
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2013, 05:17:20 AM »
Regarding this link,  do they sell seeds to the US, has anyone ordered from here?

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/frutasdomato.htm

I was just browsing though all the really rare stuff on that site, and came across this beauty:

http://www.colecionandofrutas.org/annocorni.htm

ANNONA CORNIFOLIA

Never seen a red Annona before.

updated, this looks like the same source, correct?
http://www.bananasraras.org/frutasrarasingles/seedenglish.htm

William, that is Helton's website. He has a German friend that helps him deal with English and German speaking clients, and that is your last link. Helton is not only a great source but a very nice person also. I have received very rare seeds from him on a couple of occasions in very good shape.
Oscar

jesseblenn

• Costa Rica Exotic
    • Las Tumbas de Perez Zeledon, Costa Rica
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2013, 08:12:41 PM »
Wow great to know about these sources even just for a stickybeak.I don't buy seeds online but I have heard people recommend Simply Thai.
http://www.simply-thai.com/Thai-Market-exotic-thai-fruit-seeds-index.htm

[b]I can definitely recommend AGAINST buying anything from them.  I bought like four things from them and they were old and dried, probably dead when packaged and packaged incorrectly.   Forget them![/b][/u]

Jesse Blenn, Costa Rica

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2013, 12:00:45 AM »
Does anyone know the rules for shipping small quantities (<100) of seeds (not on weeds/invassives list) from US to Puerto Rico?  Is a phyto certificate necessary?

Thanks,

Jeff

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2013, 12:04:34 AM »
Does anyone know the rules for shipping small quantities (<100) of seeds (not on weeds/invassives list) from US to Puerto Rico?  Is a phyto certificate necessary?

Thanks,

Jeff

Officially yes, a phyto is needed for any plant product sent to PR. But in fact you can get away with small packages without it as they will not be opened.
Oscar

PltdWorld

• San Diego, CA 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2013, 12:35:39 AM »
Oscar - I appreciate the (honest) answer!   sending you a PM.

sanitarium

• Slovakia, zone 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Here is another seeds shop from Reuinion, it is part of EU so packages will not goes via EU customs..

http://www.fleurdestropiques.net/

They have the seedlist regulary updated with current seed offer, they dont have all of them listed so need to check each year or sign for newletter (once a month)
I bought previous year some seeds and vanilla cutting and all arrived good and viable.. delivery was 5 business days to me..
Daniel

Luisport

• New in tropical fruit growing!
    • Fatima, Portugal
    • View Profile

RPGreg

• Siargao, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2013, 11:45:41 PM »
Can anyone please send me the email for Jim West? I want to order some seeds but I can't find his email address on the new website, only a physical mailing address.

Thanks!

Fruitguy

• Zone 10b - Miami, FL
    • United States, Miami,Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2013, 03:42:34 PM »
Can anyone please send me the email for Jim West? I want to order some seeds but I can't find his email address on the new website, only a physical mailing address.

Thanks!

Word on the net is that Jim West is no longer selling seeds to new customers.

RPGreg

• Siargao, Philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2013, 04:06:49 PM »
Thanks for the info Fruit Guy :)

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2013, 05:35:59 PM »

Thanks!

Word on the net is that Jim West is no longer selling seeds to new customers.

Yes that's right. He's trying to lower his work load. BTW, anyone coming to conference in Hawaii end of September can talk to Jim West in person as he's one of the speakers.
Oscar

digigarden

• Maurice or digigarden
    • Dominican Republic,Santo Domingo- Miami.FL addr
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2013, 04:26:41 PM »
All these sources are very good.

I want to also recommend supereuroasia from ebay... got durian,duku and lonkong from him.

dustball62

• USA, HI, Kona side, 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:32 PM »
Hey Fruitlovers(Oscar) are you going to the conference meeting on the big island? I'd like to talk to you there.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2013, 01:06:45 AM »
Hey Fruitlovers(Oscar) are you going to the conference meeting on the big island? I'd like to talk to you there.
I was planning to attend the conference meeting in Hilo. But unfortunately that meeting is at the same time as the orchard tour at my place. Kona meeting is next day but will not be able to attend that. Why don't you come to the orchard tour of my place? That is October first around 1pm. There will be van shuttles from Hilo or you can drive here in your own car.
Oscar

Sanddollarmoon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2013, 12:13:55 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4481.0
The picture and quantity for persea schiedeana makes this source suspect:

http://www.especies-seeds.com/catalog.php/especiesbotanics/dt70244/pd1798769/Persea_schiedeana_-UNUSUAL_Wild_Avocado_Tree_100_seeds

Has anybody ordered from them, with the seeds growing true to species? The picture looks to me like a different laurel, perhaps it was mislabled. Oscar, you mentioned that you grew this plant from seed, how large was the pit?

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #43 on: September 30, 2013, 12:52:14 AM »
http://tropicalfruitforum.com/index.php?topic=4481.0
The picture and quantity for persea schiedeana makes this source suspect:

http://www.especies-seeds.com/catalog.php/especiesbotanics/dt70244/pd1798769/Persea_schiedeana_-UNUSUAL_Wild_Avocado_Tree_100_seeds

Has anybody ordered from them, with the seeds growing true to species? The picture looks to me like a different laurel, perhaps it was mislabled. Oscar, you mentioned that you grew this plant from seed, how large was the pit?

Those photos show immature fruits, just starting to form. The pit is large, almost as large as avocado pit. You won't be able to get them from this company because 1) it says right on their sight they are unavailable and more importantly 2) any Persea species is not allowed into USA from outside the country, and that company is in Belize.
Oscar

dustball62

• USA, HI, Kona side, 11a
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 01:49:22 AM »
I did meet up with Jim at the conference.  Saw his presentation.  Fascinating stuff.  He has earned his place in the history books.  Anyone that can live a 3hour hike from the closest dirt/mud road has my respect.

He is definitely limiting contact.  Has all the business he needs I guess. 

I am going catch up with you Oscar.  Bring my check book and clean you out.  Ha ha. Lol. 
I just got to get a spare minute away from my wife's goat farm.  Got to get some stuff planted before she takes over the whole 25acres.  Haha. 

We trek over to del's in Hilo enough. Just a matter of setting up a time. 

Dusty

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2014, 03:25:39 AM »
These guys also send tropical fruitseeds, they are in Germany and the UK.

http://www.rarepalmseeds.com/fruit_trees.shtml

HIfarm

• Paukaa, HI, USA zone 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2014, 02:34:23 PM »
Anyone have any experience with "available seeds"?  These guys are doing Brazilian fruit.  I am trying a small order & will see how it goes...

The link is here:
http://www.availableseeds.com/fruit-seeds/

John

Tropicaliste

• Washington D.C. Area, US 7a
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2014, 04:29:55 PM »
Wow they have some rare stuff.  Thanks for sharing the link, HIfarm ... please let us know what your experience is. 

rosemaryhouchin

• Glencoe, Al. 35905 zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2014, 06:50:01 PM »
Looking for Jabuticaba seeds ti ship to the USA?

paulruizbraga

• philippines
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2014, 01:31:44 AM »
if you please, anyone, i need lots of acerola cherry barbados seeds.  does anyone have them?

i live in the philippines, a tropical country, same weather as Central America, where i believe acerola thrives

great thanks