Author Topic: Container Mangos  (Read 15031 times)

gunnar429

• Nothing like fruit from your own yard!
    • West Park, FL 33023, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
Re: Container Mangos
« Reply #25 on: October 08, 2014, 07:12:17 PM »
Mike, really I dont know if I will have room for more. I have so many other fruit trees right now that Im already pushing it from a up keep stand point, and a wife stand point! She thinks Im nuts!!! Ive got well over 50 potted fruit trees right now but alot of them will go into the ground when the house is finished.  I will keep a few of my prized citrus, figs, all the blueberries and the soon to attain tropical trees in pots. Im thinking of having a fruit tree sale my self to get rid of some stuff. My biggest challenge with the tropicals is going to be freeze protection the few nights it happens here.

Again, welcome to the club
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 08, 2014, 08:00:49 PM »
LOL, Jeff, I tell her she doesn't have to undertand! Just be okay with it;) Its funny though. She will gripe at me about them, then as soon as I bring in some new fruit that no one has tasted shes the first in line wanting a bite! When I tell her I going to get rid of some of the plants, she pleads for me to keep them? LOL, women right? Im still trying to figure them out.

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 08, 2014, 08:09:38 PM »
she is cool, but i keep pushing it because i am infected with the disease :-\ ;D
~Jeff

"Say you just can't live that negative way, if you know what I mean. Make way for the positive day." - Positive Vibration

edself65

• Judge a tree by its fruit, not by its leaves
    • Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
    • Texas Rare Fruit Growers
« Reply #28 on: October 09, 2014, 01:07:37 AM »
Rob,

Here is what I use for freeze protection

http://extension.nmsu.edu/documents/2009%20Straight%20Line%20Construction% 20Instruction.pdf

Ed
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 01:10:48 AM by edself65 »

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 09, 2014, 01:35:17 AM »
Ed, I cant get the link to pull up for some reason.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 09, 2014, 03:24:32 AM »
Try this one.

Straight Side Tunnel Construction - Cooperative Extension Service

http://extension.nmsu.edu/documents/2009%20Straight%20Line%20Construction%20Instruction.pdf

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 09, 2014, 04:07:01 AM »
Got it, thanks. Nice description and it can be modified to fit anyones needs. Unfortunatly my new yard will not be big enough for a green house like this, but my next house after this one will. I saved it to my favorites list so I can refer back to it when need. Thanks again!

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2014, 08:16:25 AM »
Mike, really I dont know if I will have room for more. I have so many other fruit trees right now that Im already pushing it from a up keep stand point, and a wife stand point! She thinks Im nuts!!! Ive got well over 50 potted fruit trees right now but alot of them will go into the ground when the house is finished.  I will keep a few of my prized citrus, figs, all the blueberries and the soon to attain tropical trees in pots. Im thinking of having a fruit tree sale my self to get rid of some stuff. My biggest challenge with the tropicals is going to be freeze protection the few nights it happens here.

A little bit of advice....

1.  You can't kiss all the pretty ladies,

2.   Don't become a slave to your plants.  If you do, what was once fun becomes grunt work. 

cuban007

• AZUCAR!!!
  • Cuida la naturaleza y la naturaleza te cuidara'
    • SoCal, The IE, Zone 9b/SoFla, The Redlands, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2014, 09:23:36 AM »

A little bit of advice....

1.  You can't kiss all the pretty ladies,

2.   Don't become a slave to your plants.  If you do, what was once fun becomes grunt work.

So true in a lot of ways  ;)

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 09, 2014, 06:37:03 PM »
Well said Mark, there sure are a lot of pretty ladies out there! ;D  Ever heard the joke about the old bull and the young bull?

Mark in Texas

• Fredericksburg Texas, (central TX), zone 8a
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 09, 2014, 10:38:39 PM »
Well said Mark, there sure are a lot of pretty ladies out there! ;D  Ever heard the joke about the old bull and the young bull?

Ok, I'll bite. 

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2014, 11:59:08 PM »
Ill try to keep it clean :o

So an old bull and a young bull were up on a hill looking over a field of full of cows. True to his nature, the young bull couldn't contain him self and said to the old bull, " Lets run down there and breed one of those beautiful cows!!!!".  The old bull looked and at him, laughed and said, " How about we walk down there and breed all of them".   ;)

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2014, 01:03:40 AM »
Ill try to keep it clean :o

So an old bull and a young bull were up on a hill looking over a field of full of cows. True to his nature, the young bull couldn't contain him self and said to the old bull, " Lets run down there and breed one of those beautiful cows!!!!".  The old bull looked and at him, laughed and said, " How about we walk down there and breed all of them".   ;)

You cleaned that one up quite well! I like the reference to plant collecting though......I'm still laughing ;D
Life is good

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2014, 03:10:30 AM »
Glad you enjoyed it Bob! I had to try real hard to keep it clean!

I'm done floundering around on varieties. I've decided on Maha, Mallika, Pickering and Sweetart. If I cant get a few good mangos off of those babies then I will just hang it up. Thanks for everyones replies;)

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2014, 05:33:58 AM »
Hey Rob, you may want to consider a Lemon Zest or another vigorous variety for a potted Mango. A vigorous variety may enable your tree to recover faster if you ever get hit with frost. LZ is a real winner as far as taste is concerned.
Simon

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2014, 02:13:47 PM »
Thanks for recommendation Simon but Im trying to shy away from the varieties that have bag fungus issues. I did research LZ and from what Ive read I don't think it will do well in our climate. Very humid here as Im right next to the Gulf. Please correct me if Im assuming wrong?

gunnar429

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2014, 10:31:51 AM »
It does well in South FL and it is quite humid here
~Jeff

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2014, 10:59:37 PM »
Thanks for 411 Gunner, I thought I had it nailed down until you told me that. More decisions to make! I can't do more than 4, at least not yet. What would you replace LZ with? Pickering, mallika, Maha or sweet tart?

Bob407

• Isla de Bieke, PR 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2014, 12:14:51 AM »
I have a Kensington Pride seedling in a five gallon bucket that is growing like a beast. I know it's not a "condo mango" but  whatever. I also have an Indera seedling that seems to be hanging on and another seed going of a fruit I got from Treehouse nursery that tasted like banana taffy. I just don't have the knack with mangos, I have killed so many seeds and seedlings. They don't seem to like it too wet. Although the Kensington pride seems oblivious to anything thrown at it.
Life is good

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2014, 12:27:19 AM »
Sup everyone! This is my first post on this forum other than the intro so yall be nice! Im going to pull the trigger on 3 mangos in the very near future. I live in South Houston Tx Zone9A/B where the 2 zones meet. Im still on the fence about whether to put these babies in ground or large containers but Im leaning towards containers at the moment. I will have to put out some effort to protect them in the winter either way so maintaining the trees to around 6-8ft tall will be manditory.  Ive been researching many of the condo varieties and pretty much nailed down the Pickering. After that it gets kinda fuzzy as theres so many to choose from. So far I've got NDM (not sure about all the fruit split I read about), Maha Chanok, Rosigold, Graham and Millika on my radar.  My location is humid most of the time as I'm only 1 mile from Galveston Bay and maybe 15-20 miles from the Gulf so leaf dieses resistance is a must and from what I've read these varieties all have this attribute. I only have room for 3 so which other 2 would you pick and why? Are there any other varieties that are attainable that you would suggest? Any of the new Zill varieties worth trying in my area?

Rob, since Houston/Galveston can be very humid, I suggest you research disease resistance.  I would suggest an Early, Mid, and Late Season mango, so you can enjoy a longer mango season.  Since my trees are all in-ground, I don't know much about container growing.  Rosigold gets anthracnose, but comes mostly before the rainy season in Florida.  I found Graham somewhat bland.  Fairchild is a small mango.

My suggestions:
Early:  Carrie
Mid:  SweetTart (Good luck getting this in Texas)
Late:  Beverly:  good taste, decent size.   My Keitt tree had about 20 - two pound mangos, but it is a vigorous grower, so I don't think Keitt is right for a container.  In addition, two pounds is a lot of mango to eat at one sitting.  Neelam:  I don't recommend:  Small and unexciting flavor.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

edself65

• Round Rock, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2014, 01:02:29 AM »
Here's a photo of my recently grafted Sweet Tart mango.

Ed

Rob1977

• Houston TX Zone 9A/B
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2014, 09:49:52 PM »
Mr. Clean, thanks for the input. I did research disease issues and that was why I selected those varieties. I'm just going off of what the descriptions on PIN and Top Tropicals have on there site plus what posts I've found on here regarding those varieties. Can you comment on the disease resistance of the ones I've listed? I read that LZ does have a few problems in that catagory.

Mr. Clean

• FLMangos.com
    • US, FL, West Palm Beach, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
    • Florida's Finest Mangos
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2014, 02:14:20 AM »
Mr. Clean, thanks for the input. I did research disease issues and that was why I selected those varieties. I'm just going off of what the descriptions on PIN and Top Tropicals have on there site plus what posts I've found on here regarding those varieties. Can you comment on the disease resistance of the ones I've listed? I read that LZ does have a few problems in that catagory.

Pickering -  I recommend this.  Decent tasting, productive, disease resistant and dwarf.
Florigon - you might look into this variety, but has a reputation for becoming large tree.
NDM - seems good, but lots of fruit split; most of my crop dropped this year.   >:(
Mahachanok - my trees haven't fruited yet
Rosigold - susceptible (but blooms early to avoid part of rainy season here)
Graham - seems good, large mangos, but a boring tasting mango.  I would have planned something different in hindsight.
Mallika - my tree hasn't fruited yet.
Lemon Zest - about a 25% of my crop split

All of my trees are 1-3 years old, so you may get different results in the long run.
www.FLMangos.com

110+ fruit trees/plants; 60+ mango trees; 9 jackfruit; 6 avocado; 3 persimmon; longan; and a dog that keeps raccoons and squirrels away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk