Author Topic: Achachairu flowering!  (Read 13205 times)

Raulglezruiz

• Puerto Vallarta,Mexico. Lat 21.5 Semi Tropical
    • View Profile
Achachairu flowering!
« on: February 20, 2015, 09:58:19 AM »
My last harvest was about August/Sept.  And now is flowering again,  two crops a year?

El verde es vida!

bangkok

• View Profile
Re: Achachairu flowering!
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 10:07:24 AM »
My last harvest was about August/Sept.  And now is flowering again,  two crops a year?

Wow awesome! Yes i read somewhere they can fruit twice a year.

If you can do it, my climate also can (i hope).

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 10:13:29 AM »

Hola Raul

So how long did it take your achachairu to flower and fuit ?  Mine seem to do fine in our climate but it grows very slow. Can you tell mire about the growing habits?

Saludos

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2015, 10:29:34 AM »

Hola Raul

So how long did it take your achachairu to flower and fuit ?  Mine seem to do fine in our climate but it grows very slow. Can you tell mire about the growing habits?

Saludos
Francisco, entre  4/5 aņos  around , first time it flowered three years ago set very few fruit, but last year it was a heavy crop, seems like every year is holding more fruit, it started fruiting just about over a meter high, I notice it respond very well and likes heavy watering, if you want to speed up I can send you some scions to graft....
El verde es vida!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 10:35:37 AM »

Hola Raul

Saludos
Francisco, entre  4/5 aņos  around , first time it flowered three years ago set very few fruit, but last year it was a heavy crop, seems like every year is holding more fruit, it started fruiting just about over a meter high, I notice it respond very well and likes heavy watering, if you want to speed up I can send you some scions to graft....

Raul, wow that's exiting. my is about a meter it grows slow but steady. it's been on the ground 2 years but what you are saying is your thriple its size in 3 years after it reach un metro?

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2015, 11:22:34 AM »
Congrats, nice looking fruit and fast growth.  I am still waiting for mines to flower after 5 years in the ground.
Adiel

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2015, 01:08:43 PM »

Hola Raul

Saludos

Raul, wow that's exiting. my is about a meter it grows slow but steady. it's been on the ground 2 years but what you are saying is your thriple its size in 3 years after it reach un metro?
I mean every year the amounts of fruit set is increasing a lot, the size is like 2 meters right now, but is a nice tree very fatty and bushy with branches hanging in proximity to the ground
El verde es vida!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2015, 09:14:54 PM »

Hola Raul

Saludos

I mean every year the amounts of fruit set is increasing a lot, the size is like 2 meters right now, but is a nice tree very fatty and bushy with branches hanging in proximity to the ground

Raul ese arbol tiene que tener cinco o seis metros si es el que mostraste en otro hilo con tu segnora?

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2015, 09:58:06 PM »

Hola Raul

Saludos

Raul ese arbol tiene que tener cinco o seis metros si es el que mostraste en otro hilo con tu segnora?
  Maybe your talking the other two pics Marang and Breadfruit,  yes those are like 5 or 6 meters,  she is 1.55 and the Achacha is double her size,  so just over 3meters, pic is under.pics of my yard
El verde es vida!

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2015, 11:45:56 AM »
Raul
I'm confuse do you have a link for that thread?

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2015, 02:34:40 PM »
My achachairu bear fruits twice a year too , When the first fruits is ripe , the tree in flower again

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2015, 08:15:49 PM »
Raul
http://postimg.cc/image/k32a0ycev/
Haber si ese funciona o este otro link=topic=14111.msg178671#msg178671 date=1422720215
El verde es vida!

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2015, 11:18:10 PM »
Raul after how many years did you plant the achachairu in full sun?

LEOOEL

• USA, South Florida, Miami, Temperature Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2015, 12:45:12 AM »
Nice thread, and thanks for reminding me, I have to locate a local nursery that sells them and get me an Achachairu.

Achachairu grows really well at the "Fruit & Spice Park," which is near my location. So, it should do well where I'm at.

My plan is to grow it, get it to flower, harvest the flowers, and eat them in different recipe combinations.

Flower eating, wow, can't wait to be a flower eater, and it's probably nutritional too.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2015, 02:20:24 AM by LEOOEL »
'Virtue' should be taught, learned and propagated, in order to save others and oneself.

Waterfall

• Australia, NSW, Sydney, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2015, 02:13:40 AM »

I'd like to know this too, I just purchased 2 plants last week almost 1m tall, I have them under the shade of my lychee and guava trees at the moment.

JF

• 90631/97000
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 11:27:09 AM »
Raul
Haber si ese funciona o este otro link=topic=14111.msg178671#msg178671 date=1422720215

Perfecto Raul se ve pero la foto pequegna....that tree is 7 years old? My Achacha is under six feet and grows spindly, what do you feed it?

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 11:33:22 AM »

I'd like to know this too, I just purchased 2 plants last week almost 1m tall, I have them under the shade of my lychee and guava trees at the moment.

Here is my achacairu exactly 2 years old now in full sun. This strain is from Australian seeds. Planted in ground 4 months ago, when about 1 meter tall. It was rainy season until New Year, and now two months dry season already. This is hottest time of the year.  Everyday 92-93 F ( 32-33 C). As you can see it shows no sun damage whatsoever. To be honest even in dry season is partly cloudy every day. So, your results might be different under clear blue sky, high temps and UV index.

I have another tree that is doing quite well in full sun. My achachas still staying in planting bags and partial shade look miserable compared to those planted in full sun. This tree really took off in just 4 short months.  Based on my experience I would encourage to plant early and let roots to get established.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »
how many years?
 It was probably 10 months or so ,30 cm high, and yer is in full sun all day, lots of watering do, I got free
Tap water so sometimes let the hose there all day!
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 11:40:03 AM »
Nice thread, and thanks for reminding me, I have to locate a local nursery that sells them and get me an Achachairu.

Achachairu grows really well at the "Fruit & Spice Park," which is near my location. So, it should do well where I'm at.

My plan is to grow it, get it to flower, harvest the flowers, and eat them in different recipe combinations.

Flower eating, wow, can't wait to be a flower eater, and it's probably nutritional too.
Are you sure? Are you talking Achacha flowers? See the size in my picture they are so small , probably need to eat thousands, just as snack, do you have info about this? Links etc, I'm intrigued.....
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 11:49:38 AM »
Raul

Perfecto Raul se ve pero la foto pequegna....that tree is 7 years old? My Achacha is under six feet and grows spindly, what do you feed it?
Francisco, I'll upload a better pic this afternoon once I get home, this particular tree has been growing at high speed with only watering, so I didn't throw anything else to feed, I think the key is Lots of Water, they respond Very well
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 12:00:38 PM »

Here is my achacairu exactly 2 years old now in full sun. This strain is from Australian seeds. Planted in ground 4 months ago, when about 1 meter tall. It was rainy season until New Year, and now two months dry season already. This is hottest time of the year.  Everyday 92-93 F ( 32-33 C). As you can see it shows no sun damage whatsoever. To be honest even in dry season is partly cloudy every day. So, your results might be different under clear blue sky, high temps and UV index.
Hi Durian Lover, your Achacha leaves look way different than mines!I also see they are alternate like in most annonaneas, I also haven't seen any Garcinia with alternate leaves, can you take a pic of the tip of any branc? There has to have the new shoots coming out from the middle like Mangosteen,

I have another tree that is doing quite well in full sun. My achachas still staying in planting bags and partial shade look miserable compared to those planted in full sun. This tree really took off in just 4 short months.  Based on my experience I would encourage to plant early and let roots to get established.

Durian Lover, your leaves don't look like Achachas, they are alternate like most Annonas, can you post a pic of the tip of the branch? It has to be like Mangosteen tipe
El verde es vida!

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 04:57:40 PM »
harvest achachairu and tree with small fruits

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 05:28:36 PM »

nice!  You must have lot of trees!!
El verde es vida!

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2015, 08:16:23 AM »

nice!  You must have lot of trees!!

Thanks, Yes,  I have several Achachairu tree, but few adult tree
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 08:19:32 AM by RICBITAR »

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2015, 10:26:02 AM »
Is achachairu the same as 'white sapote'? Or different kinds of casimiroas?

From what I have read, white sapotes are notoriously delicate and difficult to handle without bruising. But those boxes of achachairu in Brazil look very clean!!!

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 10:41:22 AM »

Durian Lover, your leaves don't look like Achachas, they are alternate like most Annonas, can you post a pic of the tip of the branch? It has to be like Mangosteen tipe

Raul, my understanding there are few strains of achachairu, just like leaves on mangoes different with each variety. I think this is from commercial variety grown in Australia. It was send to me by Australian lady not active on forum anymore.

cbss_daviefl

• USA, Southwest Ranches,FL 33331, 10B
    • View Profile
    • bfgtropicals.com
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2015, 10:50:03 AM »
DurianLover, 

I am pretty bad at identifying plants by foliage but that looks like black sapote to me.
Brandon

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2015, 10:53:20 AM »
DurianLover, 

I am pretty bad at identifying plants by foliage but that looks like black sapote to me.

See my earlier pic of the tree. At very least it grows like garcinia.

luc

• Mexico , Puerto Vallarta , Jalisco . 20 degr. North
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2015, 01:52:52 PM »
Franciscu , different trees/fruit the Achachairu is a Garcinia sp and the White sapote is a Casimiroa .
Luc Vleeracker
Puerto Vallarta
Mexico , Pacific coast.
20 degrees north

murahilin

• Administrator
    • USA Greenacres, Florida Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2015, 01:55:09 PM »

Please provide English translations with every post in another language or I will have to delete the post. Thank you.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2015, 01:55:50 PM »
Raul

Please provide English translations with every post in another language or I will have to delete the post. Thank you.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2015, 01:58:31 PM »

From what I have read, white sapotes are notoriously delicate and difficult to handle without bruising. But those boxes of achachairu in Brazil look very clean!!!

If you took the time to do a 10 second search on Google, you would see that they are different fruit.

murahilin

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2015, 02:00:06 PM »
DurianLover, 

See my earlier pic of the tree. At very least it grows like garcinia.

Definitely not an achachairu. You should try contacting the person who sent you the seeds to see if they remember what else they may sent you by mistake.

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2015, 02:08:52 PM »
Francisco, achacharu is a garcinia, not like white sapote.

I agree that durian lovers' photo doesn't look like achachacharu.
Peter

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2015, 02:46:04 PM »

This is what an achacha from Aussieland looks like after 1 year.

The seed sprouted 3 times but the other 2 are very small.

franciscu

• USA Florida Boca Raton 33431 (2.5 km from ocean) 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2015, 03:03:38 PM »

If you took the time to do a 10 second search on Google, you would see that they are different fruit.

Murahilin,
My abject apology. In my confusion I WAS looking for info online. I got my wires crossed between the white sapote and the 'lemon drop mangosteen' - which also goes by the name 'achachairu'. I'll try to do better in future...

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2015, 03:06:10 PM »

Murahilin,
My abject apology. In my confusion I WAS looking for info online. I got my wires crossed between the white sapote and the 'lemon drop mangosteen' - which also goes by the name 'achachairu'. I'll try to do better in future...

I also grow lemon drop but they are very slow growers. About half the speed of achacha's.

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »

Raul, my understanding there are few strains of achachairu, just like leaves on mangoes different with each variety. I think this is from commercial variety grown in Australia. It was send to me by Australian lady not active on forum anymore.

Durian thanks for the pic,  I can see clearly that is not a Garcinia cause the way the new shoots come. Out,  as stated in a previous post looks like Black Sapote......
El verde es vida!

Raulglezruiz

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2015, 04:55:12 PM »
Raul
let's see if this links works or this one

translated,  sorry about that Sheehan
El verde es vida!

RICBITAR

• SAO PAULO - BRASIL
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2015, 07:14:56 PM »

This is not Achachairu leaves

BMc

• Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2015, 07:45:34 PM »

That is definitely a black sapote. Garcinia have opposite leaves, not alternate like this.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2015, 11:29:52 PM »

Definitely not an achachairu. You should try contacting the person who sent you the seeds to see if they remember what else they may sent you by mistake.

She did not send me wrong species and I never ordered anything else. During last rainy season, I planted lots of plants, and seems like I forgot what is where. Real achachas are on the other side of property, distance was too long between plants to pay attention to the leaf shape, especially when this black sapote grows in garcinia fashion.
Getting back to original question, 1 meter tall achahcha doing great in full sun it seems.

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2015, 11:51:31 PM »
Welcome to the ultra-tropics Durianlover.  ;D ;D Now we will take you more serious. Those things happen here, wether we like it or not.

DurianLover

• Bali, Indonesia
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2015, 01:00:19 AM »
Welcome to the ultra-tropics Durianlover.  ;D ;D Now we will take you more serious. Those things happen here, wether we like it or not.

I should keep my head down in shame. What a careless mistake! However I'm sure about every other planted tree :)

bangkok

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »

I should keep my head down in shame. What a careless mistake! However I'm sure about every other planted tree :)

Never be too condifent in Asia. Even if you used labels this can happen. I have labels missing who were connected with very good wire, maybe the squirrels built a nest with it, who knows.

I won't bother you with everything that goes wrong here in thailand, just blame it on the sun and 35 degree celcius measured in the shade.

Now one of my achacha's is also in full sun all day, leaves are drooping allready but it just has to get used to that.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2015, 02:37:30 AM »

Achachairu is in mangosteen family. White sapote is in citrus family. So very different fruits.
Oscar