Author Topic: Magana Mamey  (Read 13642 times)

JF

• North OC California Zone 10B/America Tropical 13A
    • 90631/97000
    • View Profile
Re: Magana Mamey
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:44 PM »
TropicalGrower, Mamey Colorado is what is called in Cuba. I've never saw those salmon colored or orange colored Mameys in Cuba, only here in the U.S.

yes, that smooth crimson flesh characterizes the mamey colorado from Cuba but it's native to the Yucatan. Pace has similar flesh but it's not as creamy and it does not have the consistency.

Alexi - I have a grafted mamey colorado in Merida MX. I 've never seen that variety in the states.

Hopefully this cultivar gets more popular in the states.  :) I think Lara Farms is selling some new cultivars from Mexico.
Alexi
Here is a video I posted some time back. It's from the technological institute in Conkal. Dr. Angel Villegas Monter explains that there is no registry for mamey sapote. He goes on to explain that in Florida they have created name cultivars from material taken from the Yucatan. I know your folks are from Cuba so I'm assuming you are bilingual.

REPORTAJE MAMEY

Thanks for the video. I understand Spanish. I just don't speak it well.  :-[ :blank:
por nada....my kids were the same :) I had to send them off to Barcelona for a semester in college and they came back fluent.

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2012, 09:20:03 PM »
TropicalGrower, Mamey Colorado is what is called in Cuba. I've never saw those salmon colored or orange colored Mameys in Cuba, only here in the U.S.

yes, that smooth crimson flesh characterizes the mamey colorado from Cuba but it's native to the Yucatan. Pace has similar flesh but it's not as creamy and it does not have the consistency.

Alexi - I have a grafted mamey colorado in Merida MX. I 've never seen that variety in the states.

Hopefully this cultivar gets more popular in the states.  :) I think Lara Farms is selling some new cultivars from Mexico.
Alexi
Here is a video I posted some time back. It's from the technological institute in Conkal. Dr. Angel Villegas Monter explains that there is no registry for mamey sapote. He goes on to explain that in Florida they have created name cultivars from material taken from the Yucatan. I know your folks are from Cuba so I'm assuming you are bilingual.

REPORTAJE MAMEY

Thanks for the video. I understand Spanish. I just don't speak it well.  :-[ :blank:
por nada....my kids were the same :) I had to send them off to Barcelona for a semester in college and they came back fluent.

Nice.  It's good to know how to speak more than one language fluently. :)
Alexi

Tropicalgrower89

• Zone 11a, Florida
    • Pembroke Pines, FL, 33024, 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »

Alexi

REPORTAJE MAMEY

I've also noticed that those mameys seem to be doing very well in the limestone soils of Yucatan as well down in southwest Miami, fl where other mamey plantations are located, including Reyes Del Mamey Inc.  where the soils are also made-up of mostly limestone.
Alexi

adiel

• Zone 10b Miami FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2012, 10:08:51 AM »

JF, is "Mamey Colorado" a cultivar name?
Adiel

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk