Author Topic: Orchard Update and my first Mango :)  (Read 11576 times)

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
Re: Orchard Update and my first Mango :)
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »
Amigo, machete is very versatile, but it's not a help if you have to cut hard wood.  I agree citrus a very shitty for growing. Even in our hot and rather dry climate it makes a lot of problems, needs a lot of fertilizer, is very susceptible of pest and deseases and is very unhappy if the soil isn't right. And don't forget those crappy thorns! No other species make thoses problems in my place. So from the commertial orange orchad we had, I will leave only a few trees in future. Most of the trees will sooner or later be replaced for other tropicals :) The only citrus I have added to the collection are citrus hystrix and Cara Cara and Moro oranges ;)

nullzero

• Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »
To bad citrus is so hard to grow now... I think over 50 years of massive monocropping around the world with chemical fertilizers and pesticides, really screwed up the crop.
Grow mainly fruits, vegetables, and herbs.

Tropicdude

• Broward County, Florida, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2012, 01:33:55 PM »
Amigo, machete is very versatile, but it's not a help if you have to cut hard wood.  I agree citrus a very shitty for growing. Even in our hot and rather dry climate it makes a lot of problems, needs a lot of fertilizer, is very susceptible of pest and deseases and is very unhappy if the soil isn't right. And don't forget those crappy thorns! No other species make thoses problems in my place. So from the commertial orange orchad we had, I will leave only a few trees in future. Most of the trees will sooner or later be replaced for other tropicals :) The only citrus I have added to the collection are citrus hystrix and Cara Cara and Moro oranges ;)

Only plants I really have problem with are my citrus, Bugs munching on the leaves,  white flies or mealy bugs, not sure, .  all my other plants I do nothing,  except water and fertilize.  just a slight powdery mildew on mango but have that under control now.
William
" The best time to plant a tree is 20 years ago.....The second best time, is now ! "

Felipe

• Global Moderator
    • Canary Islands, Spain - 12b
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
To bad citrus is so hard to grow now... I think over 50 years of massive monocropping around the world with chemical fertilizers and pesticides, really screwed up the crop.

Yes, propably that's the point...  :(

Jackfruitwhisperer69

• Zone 11b
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »

Felipe,
Most definitely, Machete ain't good with hard wood ;) I gave up on citriculture once, because of the pests...then went into growing citrus again. I was optimist and thought, I will be able to succeed in growing citrus...Big mistake :'( Leaf miners are my worst pest and makes my tree leaves look very ugly :'( All my trees are almost pest free...only them citrus trees are a magnet for the pest >:( I blend garlic gloves with water and strain...then add a bit of soap and mix properly, then spray the plant every few days to absorb the garlic...this will help to repel these pests :) I also grow Thai Kaffir Limes and a Blood orange :) I won't give up on them :)

Totally agree with you, Nullzero ;)

William, I also noticed some insects munching on the leaves, too :(
Time is like a river.
You cannot touch the same water twice, because the flow that has passed will never pass again.
Enjoy every moment of your life!

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 06:03:49 PM »
Citrus are probably most productive of all trees we have. We may just be a little bit ahead of the curve. Already have the citrus greening vector here, the psyllid insect, so it's probably only a matter of time before the dragon rears it's ugly head here also.  :'( :'(  I warn people here to diversify and not just plant citrus trees because of that reason.
Oscar

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk