Author Topic: White Fleshed Mango  (Read 12571 times)

plantlover13

• View Profile
Re: White Fleshed Mango
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2013, 12:02:34 PM »
Here's another, prunus. Your not going to call a plum a wild almond, are you? ???

Andersp90

• Denmark, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 21, 2013, 04:03:09 PM »
Here's another, prunus. Your not going to call a plum a wild almond, are you? ???

There are always exceptions to the "rule", like I have alredy stated. :)
Kind regards Anders.

fruitlovers

• www.fruitlovers.com
    • USA, Big Island, East Hawaii, Zone 13a
    • View Profile
    • Fruit Lover's Nursery
« Reply #27 on: August 21, 2013, 10:39:22 PM »
I really doubt that the term "wild mango" is used in any place of origin for the wani. Instead it is a name that was probably coined by either Campbell or Ledesma.
I think also Mangifera caesia is cultivated in places, so it often is neither wild nor a mango. Usually fruits that are so delicious as described in the movie will become cultivated. Then ofcourse there is the opinion of durianwriter, who said in another thread that wani stinks something terrible!  :o
Oscar

rovha

• the nooby gardener
    • Portgal, madeira island, funchal, santo antonio, rua da quinta falcćo
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2013, 01:00:32 AM »
I can't believe people are discussing fruits names because of one of my mistakes and dumbness  :P  :P  :P
Joćo David Abreu Sousa

plantlover13

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2013, 09:24:22 AM »
You have to realize that a genus is not created based on name, but rather based on evolutionary relationship, i.e. when did they diverge from a common ancestor. Otherwise, we would have all the "sapotes" in one genus, which we don't. They are all split up because they aren't genetically related close enough to be a genus. Nothing at all to do with name.

Andersp90

• Denmark, Zone 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
You have to realize that a genus is not created based on name, but rather based on evolutionary relationship, i.e. when did they diverge from a common ancestor. Otherwise, we would have all the "sapotes" in one genus, which we don't. They are all split up because they aren't genetically related close enough to be a genus. Nothing at all to do with name.

I am well aware of that. ;)

Kind regards Anders.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk