Author Topic: Mangoes seeds that breed true.  (Read 1109 times)

Phoenix From The Ashes

• Tampa
    • View Profile
Mangoes seeds that breed true.
« on: May 26, 2019, 08:35:10 AM »
Hi,

I recently saw a YouTube video with George Zill and he said that Nam Doc Mai mango seeds will
produce replicas of the mother plant. I’m curious why some mango seeds are “monozygotic” and some are not? Can anyone explain in layman’s terms?

https://youtu.be/Y7wvv27xXPc

Pademelon1

• Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Mangoes seeds that breed true.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 11:11:14 AM »
Some mangoes breed true whilst others don't due to the presence of polyembryonic seeds, which is governed by a single dominant gene. Both polyembryonic seeds and mono-embryonic seeds contain the zygote or 'child' resulting from pollination, but polyembryonic seeds also contain a number of clonal embryos of the mother plant. When you plant a polyembryonic seed, you will get multiple seedlings, one of which is the zygote (which won't breed true), the rest are clones of the mother tree (which will).

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 11:52:23 AM »
Actually, any seed produced by "breeding", meaning by plant sex/pollination, is not a true copy of the mother tree.

Only those extra embyos produced in polyembionic seeds are true copies of the mother tree/seed parent.  They are produced by cloning;  they are not bred.
Har

edzone9

• Zone 10 SW Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 01:00:05 PM »
So I can plant the seed of M4 and Orange Sherbet And it will be a copy of the mother plant or similar variation?

Thanks Ed
Zone 10

Finca La Isla

• Costa Rica, Southern Caribbean coast
    • View Profile
    • finca la isla
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2019, 01:30:54 PM »
Do you have a reliable way to know which seedlings are clones?
Peter

Guanabanus

• SE Palm Beach County, East of I-95, Elevation 18'
    • USA, Florida, Boynton Beach, 33435, Zone 10b
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2019, 02:18:30 PM »
Visual inspection relies on having many young plants of the same polyembrionic seed source to look at.  One can soon figure out what the consistent characteristics of the majority of plants are---the majority are the clones.  One can then remove the "off-types", if one wants the clones;  or, one can remove the clones, if one wants to grow out the "off-types"/ sexualy-produced seedlings, to see what they will produce.
Har

simon_grow

• USA, San Diego, CA, Zone 10a
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 04:58:31 PM »
I agree with Har.

Additionally, from the data I’ve read and from members that post on other threads regarding Polyembryonic mango varieties, if you plant a NDM mango seed, all the seedlings are not guaranteed to be clones. One or more of the seedlings can be zygotic.

I used to believe that a Polyembryonic mango seed could only produce one zygotic seedling but according to a paper I posted on another thread, that is not necessarily true.

Simon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk